The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

I didn't think it possible, but I actually knew even fewer answers in my test today. I'm sure of maybe 4 out of 80. Needless to say there goes my D.

On the positive side of things, I FINALLY got a psychiatrist appointment so hopefully she'll be able to do something to help me with my studies. :crossedf:
Original post by Sabertooth
I didn't think it possible, but I actually knew even fewer answers in my test today. I'm sure of maybe 4 out of 80. Needless to say there goes my D.

On the positive side of things, I FINALLY got a psychiatrist appointment so hopefully she'll be able to do something to help me with my studies. :crossedf:

fingers crossed she can help :hugs:
Original post by Noodlzzz
fingers crossed she can help :hugs:

Hopefully!

The nurse today (I had to have blood work done) didn't know how to spell schizophrenia, which was interesting for a nurse who works at a mental health clinic. :/

You up to much? :smile:
Tomorrow is my dad's date of death and I have to make a test that will likely determine whether or not I will pass the year. Apart from the fact that I will feel like a total failure must I have to redo the year, I also go to an independent school so it will be a financial strain for my mum. My mum for some reason always seems to think that tomorrow is only affecting her and tends to forget that I have had to live without a/my dad for 11 years too and that it's not exactly an ideal situation for me either. So besides the usual fights, tonights fight was especially bad. I spent 4 hours wasting my time cycling, trying to wrap my head around things and calm down that I could have used to study. Either I give up and accept that I'll probably have to redo the year or I study through (part of) the night, even though I'm sick... Neither seem okay.

Edit: I sound like a totally heartless tete de merde when I talk about my mum like that but I am aware of how hard this day and tomorrow (and also any other day) have to be for her and I do have respect for the fact that she is raising three kids on her own, despite the obstacles she might face. I understand that her feeling emotionally stressed might have contributed to this fight as well, however, I would also like to add that things have been said, both today and in the past, and done that shouldn't have been said; regardless of the fact that today is not a good day. But again, I do have respect for my mum, sorry if I appeared not to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TinyMockingbird
Tomorrow is my dad's date of death and I have to make a test that will likely determine whether or not I will pass the year. Apart from the fact that I will feel like a total failure must I have to redo the year, I also go to an independent school so it will be a financial strain for my mum. My mum for some reason always seems to think that tomorrow is only affecting her and tends to forget that I have had to live without a/my dad for 11 years too and that it's not exactly an ideal situation for me either. So besides the usual fights, tonights fight was especially bad. I spent 4 hours wasting my time cycling, trying to wrap my head around things and calm down that I could have used to study. Either I give up and accept that I'll probably have to redo the year or I study through (part of) the night, even though I'm sick... Neither seem okay.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, it's really hard to lose someone so close. :console:

I would say to give the test as much as you feel able to. It's one night studying and then you can rest. If everything depends on tomorrow I feel like you might regret not studying this last time to give yourself the greatest opportunity to pass.
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm sorry to hear about your dad, it's really hard to lose someone so close. :console:

I would say to give the test as much as you feel able to. It's one night studying and then you can rest. If everything depends on tomorrow I feel like you might regret not studying this last time to give yourself the greatest opportunity to pass.

Very true, I'll likely do that. Don't have a lot of motivation right now but I know I am going to hate myself so much if I don't study and I don't want to be an extra burden to my mum and I don't want to be a burden to my mum any longer than needed. So it's absolutely best if I'll study. Lots of caffeine and I'll hopefully get there :wink: Thanks.
Original post by FireFreezer77
Medicine seems very popular on here.
Im guessing its hard!?

Yeah, it's quite a challenge! Tbf, that's why my anxiety is such a problem aha, because I can't just take a break from studying when it's bad :s-smilie:
Got a date tomorrow, but haven't left the house in days. Feeling really on edge about it. Just need to stop myself cancelling, like I always do
Original post by Ezme39
Yeah, it's quite a challenge! Tbf, that's why my anxiety is such a problem aha, because I can't just take a break from studying when it's bad :s-smilie:

It sure seems that way!
Ah thats not great! Have you spoken to anyone about it at uni?
Not even for 5 mins or so?

-----------

Good luck tomorrow!!
Will you let me know how it goes!?
I got 18% in the lab exam. :cry2: I've never had such a low result in my entire life. I feel like such am idiot. I feel so stupid that I thought I could actually make something of myself, I'm going to be an unemployed loser my whole life.
I'm on my 3rd beer and it's starting to hit me. Bringing out the sloe gin next.

Going to a wedding on Saturday, I already had to buy new clothes as none of mine fit and it means spending the whole day pretending like everything is ok.
Freaking out about my lack of professional support when i have so many big things happening right now.
Im overwhelmed already and iv not even signed my contract on my flat or moved in! Gahhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone! I'm kind of new to this sub-forum, so even bigger 'Hi!' than usual! :biggrin:

I've been struggling with depression for some years (never sought help - long story). But recently it's really been gripping me so aggressively that I'm practically bed-bound. Indeed, I ended up arriving late to an exam recently because I just couldn't bring myself to get up, despite having planned a fun afternoon out with friends after we'd done the exam. I'm just completely drained of any energy, and it's really starting to impact college and my other work.

I was wondering if anyone else has suffered this paralysing exhaustion before, and could share some good tips on getting through this?

(I appreciate and accept I should just go to my GP and seek help that way. But some things from a few years back make me want to try to combat this without meds. I've always got through the lowest points without - which I'm a bit proud of! - so I'd like to go as long without. So any other tips on getting through the troughs will be much appreciated! :biggrin: )

Thanks in advance!
Not even two showers can make me clean enough now :frown:
I just want to have a day where I'm free and haven't got this monstrosity bringing me down 24/7.
I'm sick and tired of it and really hope this new paychotherapist is worth it!
I really can't take much more of this now, it's gone way out of control and nothing I'm doing is even remotely helping.
I don't know why this is happening still, its gonna be with me forever!
I'm about to go cry myself to sleep again.
So stressed about college tomorrow and I forgot to take my medication!
It's just getting worse!
Tomorrow is gonna be hell and I'm gonna fall asleep at college too because I won't sleep much now
Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!

Spoiler

I'm going to bed and am putting my alarm at 5 and just hoping that I'll have enough time to make all the other summaries and that I'll know enough to at least get a D so that I can at least pass the year. I feel like such a ****ing failure for not being able to just pass this year, even if it has to do with mental health, and not being able to properly study. Especially because I have always easily passed all other years, despite already struggling with depression. True it has gotten worse this year but I'm afraid I have also just become lazy, rebelious and stupid and that that's also a reason for me failing. I feel like by getting bad grades I am just attention seeking. I am so afraid for tomorrow/today. Gosh, I've cried more in the past few days than I have done in the last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FireFreezer77
It sure seems that way!
Ah thats not great! Have you spoken to anyone about it at uni?
Not even for 5 mins or so?

-----------

Good luck tomorrow!!
Will you let me know how it goes!?

A few of my friends know, but no one official. They made a big deal about my eating disorder, so I was scared to tell them anything else :frown:
Strangely, 5mins usually just stresses me out more, because it doesn't give me time to calm down, and it makes me feel like I'm wasting time! :P occasionally it can help though

Aha, thanks :biggrin: of course!
Original post by TinyMockingbird
I'm going to bed and am putting my alarm at 5 and just hoping that I'll have enough time to make all the other summaries and that I'll know enough to at least get a D so that I can at least pass the year. I feel like such a ****ing failure for not being able to just pass this year, even if it has to do with mental health, and not being able to properly study. Especially because I have always easily passed all other years, despite already struggling with depression. True it has gotten worse this year but I'm afraid I have also just become lazy, rebelious and stupid and that that's also a reason for me failing. I feel like by getting bad grades I am just attention seeking. I am so afraid for tomorrow/today. Gosh, I've cried more in the past few days than I have done in the last year.

Sounds like a good plan. :smile: Maybe make a cup of coffee when you wake up and then get to work. I really hope you manage to pass, hopefully the cramming will work for you. :hugs:

I get what you mean about feeling like a failure - I got an F in a summer class I took and this was the second time taking it. Mental health problems can really get in the way of studying effectively. I don't think you're an attention seeker, depression is serious and the lack of motivation and concentration that often accompanies it is bound to turn even the best student into not doing as well as they could otherwise.

Good night and good luck!
Parents have had to rush up north very early this morning as my uncle isn't very well at all and has been admitted to icu and it's basically all I can think about. :cry:

Which isn't good when I have my driving test today.

Luckily I still had my counsellors number from school because she's so supportive of me even when she hasn't seen me for a year now. (She told me when I left that I could text her if I needed to at any time)

My brain is basically like ahhhh right now. :hide:
Original post by Noodlzzz
I'm doing my MSc in clinical psychology this September.

The government have started a new 10k loan which helps fund the cost. A lot of people also work part time jobs to help fund. Otherwise a bank loan shouldn't be too hard to get but payback rate can be high.*

Oh okay I wasn't aware of that government loan I will check it out, thank you. Yeah I was thinking of doing the masters part time and get a job as a social worker part time too.

Did you decide on Kingston in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got a quick question for you guys. I'm involved on a project working with a major mental health charity to develop a conference for young people with the theme of digital media and mental health. We've been thinking of getting a "celebrity" involved, so just a couple of questions on that:

1) Are there any popular bloggers or vloggers who have used the Internet to discuss mental health that would attract you to an event?

2) Are there any others who have used digital media, or other forms of media to talk about mental illness that would attract you to an event?

3) Would someone like this attract you to an event if they were the main/guest speaker?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullettheory
I've got a quick question for you guys. I'm involved on a project working with a major mental health charity to develop a conference for young people with the theme of digital media and mental health. We've been thinking of getting a "celebrity" involved, so just a couple of questions on that:

1) Are there any popular bloggers or vloggers who have used the Internet to discuss mental health that would attract you to an event?

2) Are there any others who have used digital media, or other forms of media to talk about mental illness that would attract you to an event?

3) Would someone like this attract you to an event if they were the main/guest speaker?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not celebs as such, but huge folliwers on social media
Johnny Benjamin (find mike campaign)

Jack Monroe (they are very open about mental health and their past and current battle with depression and anxiety)

Dodie Clark (Youtube doddleoddle/doddlevloggle has been open about struggling with depression in her vlogs)

Then theres jo brand who is ace and fights for MH campaigns and stuff as she used to be a MH nurse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest