The Student Room Group

grammar school? Is it right for me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmallTown
:crossedf: Hoping I do! But I'm unsure :redface:
What were your requirements?

I need an 'A' in Maths, 'A' in Science,'B' in ICT, and a minimum of 5 A*-C's, really not high at all tbh :tongue:
Original post by hamza772000
What were your requirements?
I need an 'A' in Maths, 'A' in Science,'B' in ICT, and a minimum of 5 A*-C's, really not high at all tbh :tongue:

A - Physics
A - Biology
A - chemistry
A - Geograpahy
B - English language and Maths
+ I need to get 5 A/A* all together including my requirements to get in.
I'm just worried about English Language tbh :frown:, I think I might just get that B. But I think I met everything else.
A - Physics
A - Biology
A - chemistry
A - Geograpahy
B - English language and Maths
+ I need to get 5 A/A* all together including my requirements to get in.
I'm just worried about English Language tbh :frown:, I think I might just get that B. But I think I met everything else.
I'm a bit nervous about English Language too, I'm hoping for a B as well, but as far as I know I don't need a B(I hope so) coz if I do then.....................I could be screwed.....

But I checked on my school's website, there they have all the requirements for each of the subjects, and English Language isn't one for any of the one's I'm doing.

What subjects are you doing? (I'm sorry if I've asked you before :redface:)
I'm a bit nervous about English Language too, I'm hoping for a B as well, but as far as I know I don't need a B(I hope so) coz if I do then.....................I could be screwed.....

But I checked on my school's website, there they have all the requirements for each of the subjects, and English Language isn't one for any of the one's I'm doing.

What subjects are you doing? (I'm sorry if I've asked you before :redface:)

Physics, biology, chemistry and geography. WBU?
Do you know if you want to change an A-level whether you should change it now by emailing or wait till results day??
Physics, biology, chemistry and geography. WBU?
Do you know if you want to change an A-level whether you should change it now by emailing or wait till results day??
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing.

You should do it as soon as possible coz some subjects can get taken up and they won't be available(I think), I was contemplating whether I should change Computing for Chemistry and after thinking about it, I don't think I want to any more.

Which one do you want to change? Physics?
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing.

You should do it as soon as possible coz some subjects can get taken up and they won't be available(I think), I was contemplating whether I should change Computing for Chemistry and after thinking about it, I don't think I want to any more.

Which one do you want to change? Physics?

I'd change geography. I just realised how much case studies you have to learn. I'd change it to something like ICT as computing is not offered.
I hated it. I think it was because it was Catholic rather than being a grammar school. It really depends on the particular school.
I'd change geography. I just realised how much case studies you have to learn. I'd change it to something like ICT as computing is not offered.
Okay, but do you know what A Level ICT's like?

I did it for GCSE :redface: But I have a booklet I got on the open day that tells you what the course is like.
I did it for GCSE :redface: But I have a booklet I got on the open day that tells you what the course is like.
Are you actually interested in IT? coz I doubt A Level ICT would be ANYTHING like GCSE :redface:

I assume you're not really in to Maths, or are you?

I know what its like coz my brother is currently doing it. You 100% coursework (if you are doing double ict) and you get 2 alevels for it. This is more about comunication and stuff but still has some things you did at gcse..... Well i dont know much......
Original post by mediaya
I know what its like coz my brother is currently doing it. You 100% coursework (if you are doing double ict) and you get 2 alevels for it. This is more about comunication and stuff but still has some things you did at gcse..... Well i dont know much......

Thanks for the info :h:. But the coursework for GCSE was just insane. 4 of my reviews were nearly 10,000 words longs and spent so long on it. But if ICT is one of those A-levels that are reforming to go linear then there might be no coursework! I'd need to check that though.
Thanks for the info :h:. But the coursework for GCSE was just insane. 4 of my reviews were nearly 10,000 words longs and spent so long on it. But if ICT is one of those A-levels that are reforming to go linear then there might be no coursework! I'd need to check that though.
What exam board were you on?

We just had to do these 4 easy 'tests' that we did on a computer, it was just basic Word, Excel and Power Point. NO MICROSOFT ACCESS

In year 9-10 I did some coursework, but then my school changed exam boards, so none of it counted or mattered.
Are you actually interested in IT? coz I doubt A ICT would be ANYTHING like GCSE :redface:

I assume you're not really in to Maths, or are you?

Not into maths, so I deffo won't be doing that. :biggrin: As for ICT, I'm not too sure so I'll wait it out till results day.
We just had to do these 4 easy 'tests' that we did on a computer, it was just basic Word, Excel and Power Point. NO MICROSOFT ACCESS
In year 9-10 I did some coursework, but then my school changed exam boards, so none of it counted or mattered.

It was edexcel. We started doing coursework in year 10 and then we had a proper GCSE exam this year. But our coursework did consist of knowing how to use excel and stuff.
I've been at grammar school since year 7 and have just finished year 12. I was at an all boys school from year 7-11 but then moved to the all girls school with the mixed sixth form. Personally I would suggest going to the grammar because it will give you the best possible education and if you are surrounded by people as good as you and better it will motivate you so you will do better.
Not into maths, so I deffo won't be doing that. :biggrin: As for ICT, I'm not too sure so I'll wait it out till results day.
Haha, ok. :smile:
I hope you get what you want on results day. :smile:
It was edexcel. We started doing coursework in year 10 and then we had a proper GCSE exam this year. But our coursework did consist of knowing how to use excel and stuff.
Cool, mine was just way more easier than it should've been, I still don't know how it counts as a GCSE :tongue:

Omg, i did exacly the same thing :eek:

We started off with the tonnes of coursework we had to do in year 10 n 11 and then we dropped it (soo all the 3 units of hard working coursework that i did was just put in the bin :angry:) my teacher was really crap basically so he couldnt manage to finish all the 5 units we had to do, in time..........

And then everyone in the whole schools (even those who knew nothing about ict) ended up doing this ecdl in ict that according to my teacher (but i dont believe him) is a gcse or equivalent. There 8s basically no difference in between me and those who never chise ict....... :eek: We did 4 test too, power point, word, exel and a last one on all 3 together n some other applied stuff..... And these really easy test was all we did..... When i think of ALL the coursework i did which was wasted, it make me want to die :facepalm::facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool, mine was just way more easier than it should've been, I still don't know how it counts as a GCSE :tongue:

Oh yh forgot to tell you i got an distinction * (A*) for doing....:lolwut:... an easy 3 hour total test, n got the certificate too (but ut's not a real one coz it's just printed from the school) :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest