The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Got a 2:2 in second year...could I still graduate with a 2:1/1st?

I got done for plagiarism in my second year as I stupidly and naively let my friend read my work hence I have failed an entire module. I am resitting it this summer and will be capped at 40.
Therefore, my grades so far for second year are 61, 62, 65, 69, 47 (I really messed up my exam for this module purely my own fault) and the 40 (once I have resat it).At the moment I have averaged at 50.7 but with my resit it could be brought up to 57.3 which is a high 2:2.
My first year is worth 10%, second year worth 40% and third year is worth 50% of my overall degree. In my first year I averaged out at 60.
So I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what I'd need to achieve in my final year to graduate with at least a 2:1 (I understand if a first is out of the question now :frown:).
Obviously, I understand the hard work that will be required of me and I've never been more motivated than now. I didn't take first year seriously unfortunately and then second year was just a toxic year for me and my own foolishness got me into a position I feared the most as I was adamant this year to aim for a 1st in my degree. I will most definitely be grafting as much as I can in my final year. Thank you!
Reply 1
Assuming you get the 40% in the second year module you're resitting, yes, it is possible for you to get at least a 2:1.
I'll write how I worked this out, and maybe someone else can check/give you a second opinion:
60= 0.1*60 + 0.4*57.33 + 0.5*z, where z is your result for third year. As long as you get at least 62.14% next year, you'll be able to get a 2:1 (assuming a 2:1 is 60% in your uni). Technically it's possible for you to get a first overall, if you got at least 82.14% in third year.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Original post by Telllo
Assuming you get the 40% in the second year module you're resitting, yes, it is possible for you to get at least a 2:1.
I'll write how I worked this out, and maybe someone else can check/give you a second opinion:
60= 0.1*60 + 0.4*57.33 + 0.5*z, where z is your result for third year. As long as you get at least 62.14% next year, you'll be able to get a 2:1 (assuming a 2:1 is 60% in your uni). Technically it's possible for you to get a first overall, if you got at least 82.14% in third year.

I just double checked your maths and it seems to all work out so I think what you said here is correct.
Reply 3
Thank you so much I appreciate the time you have taken to help me! I was initially in panic mode but finally sat down and worked it out myself too and came to the same answer as you as well so I'm pretty sure you're correct. I have a further question if anyone doesn't mind answering.... What would be the absolute minimum I would have to get in each module in my third year if I am to average out with 83%? I have five modules in my third year with one being my dissertation which is worth 40 credits and the rest of the module is worth 20 credits each. I know two friends who are graduating this year that got 85 in their dissertations despite averaging out at 65-68 in their second year and they have told me it was due to the help of their supervisor (he really goes the extra mile to help students as he is so passionate) that allowed them to do so well (along with other obvious reasons of course) and I have the same supervisor next year and my 2 friends are willing to let me know all about how they did so well. Therefore, I'm not trying to get too ahead of myself but I was wondering say hypothetically I achieved something like 85 in my dissertation, what would I need to get in the other modules to average out at 83%? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question but I honestly can't stop worrying about my future as I'm full of so much regret for hindering my own performance due to my stupid naivety and laziness (I'm not asking for sympathy I'm just frustrated at myself). Thank you if anyone can be bothered to read this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My advice is not to do these calculations. I've seen it all so often when students work out what they need to get, go chasing the grades and mess it up. If you are as motivated as you say, then you should just do your damndest to get the best grades possible, and if you are good enough for a 2:1, you will get one.

Original post by emb_786
Thank you so much I appreciate the time you have taken to help me! I was initially in panic mode but finally sat down and worked it out myself too and came to the same answer as you as well so I'm pretty sure you're correct. I have a further question if anyone doesn't mind answering.... What would be the absolute minimum I would have to get in each module in my third year if I am to average out with 83%? I have five modules in my third year with one being my dissertation which is worth 40 credits and the rest of the module is worth 20 credits each. I know two friends who are graduating this year that got 85 in their dissertations despite averaging out at 65-68 in their second year and they have told me it was due to the help of their supervisor (he really goes the extra mile to help students as he is so passionate) that allowed them to do so well (along with other obvious reasons of course) and I have the same supervisor next year and my 2 friends are willing to let me know all about how they did so well. Therefore, I'm not trying to get too ahead of myself but I was wondering say hypothetically I achieved something like 85 in my dissertation, what would I need to get in the other modules to average out at 83%? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question but I honestly can't stop worrying about my future as I'm full of so much regret for hindering my own performance due to my stupid naivety and laziness (I'm not asking for sympathy I'm just frustrated at myself). Thank you if anyone can be bothered to read this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also I would highly recommend that you try and create a good impression on your lecturers. Make sure to attend all your lectures, let them see that you're trying really hard. The reason I'm saying this is that sometimes in instances where someone just misses out on the higher classification by a very small percentage, they have the power to bump you up to the higher classification. This works on a few things. One of which is your your marks for example, if most of your modules were the higher classification, you just had one terrible one, they are more likely to bump you up. Though I think the main one is their impression of you, if they have seen you working hard and think you deserve the higher one they are much more likely to bump you than if you never attend lectures and don't put the work in. You have to have only just missed out on the higher one for this to be considered but it's worth bearing this in mind.

I got bumped up myself from a high 2:1 to a first so it does happen.

Quick Reply

Latest