The Student Room Group

How much pocket money do you get ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
Lots of students get 'pocket money' or financial assistance from parents/family. As do (young) adults. Things like a new car or wedding/house deposit, it's not totally uncommon for parents to help out.

Yeah but being helped out is not 'pocket money'. Misuse of the term lol.
Nothing.

Although I did get a car and insurance (paid while I'm at uni) so it probably works out as more :colondollar:
Ha, pocket money.

In my day we didn't even have pockets.
Original post by fefssdf
Damnnnnnnnnn - what do you do with that ?!!!

I'm on the minimum loan and my loan barely covers my accommodation, I get £22 for the next three months...so it's paying my food, travel, books, being able to live...

I do work as well though
Reply 24
Original post by Jackieox
I'm on the minimum loan and my loan barely covers my accommodation, I get £22 for the next three months...so it's paying my food, travel, books, being able to live...

I do work as well though

ahh right i see yeh thats fair enough then cause uni is damn expensive
Original post by fefssdf
I get £80 a month and I wondered whether other people get similar amounts - by the way my parents aren't rich or anything - I'm getting the max amount from student finance... but just wondered whether other people get pocket money ?

My parents are not rich but they still have £960 to give me a year huh??? that dont add up for me
I usually don't. My parents buy me clothes, food and everything I need. Anything expensive i have to save up from birthday/xmas money. I count my parents' monthly Spotify premium and Netflix subscriptions as pocket money :tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by catgirlcatgirl
My parents are not rich but they still have £960 to give me a year huh??? that dont add up for me

My parents don't own a car, I don't go on holiday, we don't go out for days out/meals ect....hence why they have some money to give to their kids
One of my parents works and makes less than 17K so if you count that as rich thats up to you
Reply 28
I just don't think it is good for parents to help out so much(obviously if you're really struggling and they can afford it). But it seems like a lot of people get everything handed to them on a plate. cars, car insurance, money because people are struggling to cope at uni with the money from student finance even though they wouldn't be struggling if they weren't going out every night. These people will probably expect their parents to pay their mortgages when they're older.
Not really the kids fault, if someone was offering to give me money for free, I'd take it.
Never had any. Maybe the occasional £5 but not as frequently as monthly. Instead I get a roof over my head, food, sometimes stuff like laptops/phones etc and otherwise I have little to no need of anything else so all is well :tongue:
Pocket money? What I earn is what I get…
Reply 31
I get about £200 a month. But that's because I had to move out to go to college and as it's not at degree level I don't get student finance for it. So while I have a part time job and get housing benefit to pay for my rent, my mum sends me a bit to cover the rest so that I can still have some time off between everything.

Before that, I would get £20 a week for food at school and whatever but nothing over half terms or summer. That would be covered by what I saved up or got for birthdays or holidays
when i need money, i just ask my parents and they give it to me :tongue:
I get around £300 a month:smile:
No one ever gives me any money:frown:
What is pocket money :frown:?

never received any
lol, non. It used to be me giving my mum pocket money. Thankfully she's a little more financially stable now.
O= £80 a month!?!? Are you sure your parents aren't rich!?!?

I get nothing, they can't afford it.
I work for my own money.
£150 from parents and £25 from grandparents. Anything like going out I normally get £50 extra if it is possible.
£8 a hour for work and I do 4 hours a week but I hope to do more soon.

Quick Reply

Latest