The Student Room Group

The problem with the term "Islamophobia".

A video by the YouTube channel "Counter Arguments".

It's well worth the watch even though it's quite long. It won't take you too long to be entranced.

[video="youtube;lEeauLCOeXQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEeauLCOeXQ[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
nah cba
Original post by datboii
nah cba

Ditto, but I can understand the problems that it causes. That's why I prefer the term anti-Muslim bigotry (which is real, even though some like to pretend that it's not).
(edited 7 years ago)
Is lamb a phobia?
Reply 4
Original post by WBZ144
Ditto, but I can understand the problems what it causes. That's why I prefer the term anti-Muslim bigotry.

At the end of the day, when someone says "im not islamophobic" and question the term they are shying away from the argument because they know exactly what you mean
Reply 5
Original post by The Roast
A video by the YouTube channel "Counter Arguments".

It's well worth the watch even though it's quite long. It won't take you too long to be entranced.

[video="youtube;lEeauLCOeXQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEeauLCOeXQ[/video]

Thanks for sharing
Original post by datboii
At the end of the day, when someone says "im not islamophobic" and question the term they are shying away from the argument because they know exactly what you mean

Of course they do, but if they are obviously bigoted and you call them out for it there is less room for verbal gymnastics.
Reply 7
Original post by datboii
nah cba

Original post by WBZ144
Ditto, but I can understand the problems what it causes. That's why I prefer the term anti-Muslim bigotry.

TL;DR for both of you then :smile:

Islamophobia:
Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Funnily enough this definition has been altered since the video was published.

Previous definition: Prejudice against, hatred towards, or fear of Islam or Muslims.

Islam:
The religion of the Muslims, a monotheistic faith regarded as revealed through Muhammad as the Prophet of Allah.

Phobia:
An extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

So, what's wrong with the definition of "Islamophobia"?

Condemning Islam (the ideology) =/= Condemning Muslims (the people)

Furthermore, the original definition, which included the term "fear", draws no distinction between "hatred" and "fear" - which again aren't the same thing.

So yeah, I'd like the term "Islamophobia" to be discarded and kept it at BIGOTRY.

P.S I haven't covered the whole video, just the "Islamophobia" part.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by IYGB
Thanks for sharing

You're welcome!
Islamophobia is the counter terrorism of fools.
Reply 10
First of all... that guy looks like Jeremy Kyle :lol:

This is very interesting and logical, I feel like I have been educated, BUT it's gotten too far now for us to exchange the word "islamophobia" for another better suited word with a better definition or to backtrack and use "bigotry" instead. This is because literally every newspaper, every article, every video on the issue all use the term "islamophobia" or "islamophobic" so it's not gonna change.
When people say that Islamophobia isn't a real thing because Islam is an ideology and ideologies don't have right are abusing semantics to subvert and undermine real issues which affect real people. Islamophobia does certainly include hatred and prejudice towards those who are Muslim and those people certainly do have rights.
Beautiful, beautiful video. Sums up my view.

Quick Reply

Latest