The Student Room Group

Why do everyone go to Spain for holidays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fusion
Italy's a bit expensive to holiday. I've been eyeing a first trip there but I haven't found any value.

Aye. Accommodation, eating and drinking and standard supplies are surprisingly dear in Italy.

In Rome, hostel accommodation is €20-25 a night minimum, more in high season. You could pay €40+ a night which is frankly obscene for the Mediterranean. I paid €21 for a bed on a Friday night in February. That same bed is €43 at the end of this month. Two courses (piatti) and wine in a cheap osteria or trattoria costs €20 minimum per head. Pizza al taglio is €3-5 a slice. A beer in a corner bar is around €2.50 for ~250ml, another price that shocked me in comparison to Spain. One thing that is cheap and good in Italy is coffee in local bars. €1 max for an espresso. Plus the house wine in budget restaurants is good and cheap.

In Spain/Portugal, it really varies where you go. Summer in Barcelona can push Italian prices whereas Madrid and Andalusia are a fair bit cheaper. You can pay €30-35 for a boutique hostel in Barcelona and under €20 in Madrid. Lisbon is cheap for some bizarre reason because it is SIMPLY EXCELLENT. In Madrid/Andalusia, a caña is about €1.50, patatas bravas/another small tapa either €2 or free depending where you are. In Lisbon a small beer won't be much more than €1. In Spain a lunchtime three course meal can be as low as €10 including a glass of wine. In most of Spain and Portugal the prices absolutely destroy those of Italy for similar quality.
Reply 21
Original post by rockrunride
Aye. Accommodation, eating and drinking and standard supplies are surprisingly dear in Italy.

In Rome, hostel accommodation is €20-25 a night minimum, more in high season. You could pay €40+ a night which is frankly obscene for the Mediterranean. I paid €21 for a bed on a Friday night in February. That same bed is €43 at the end of this month. Two courses (piatti) and wine in a cheap osteria or trattoria costs €20 minimum per head. Pizza al taglio is €3-5 a slice. A beer in a corner bar is around €2.50 for ~250ml, another price that shocked me in comparison to Spain. One thing that is cheap and good in Italy is coffee in local bars. €1 max for an espresso. Plus the house wine in budget restaurants is good and cheap.

In Spain/Portugal, it really varies where you go. Summer in Barcelona can push Italian prices whereas Madrid and Andalusia are a fair bit cheaper. You can pay €30-35 for a boutique hostel in Barcelona and under €20 in Madrid. Lisbon is cheap for some bizarre reason because it is SIMPLY EXCELLENT. In Madrid/Andalusia, a caña is about €1.50, patatas bravas/another small tapa either €2 or free depending where you are. In Lisbon a small beer won't be much more than €1. In Spain a lunchtime three course meal can be as low as €10 including a glass of wine. In most of Spain and Portugal the prices absolutely destroy those of Italy for similar quality.

I was in Andalucia recently, and experienced proper tapas in a bar in a beautiful small town outside Granada. And it was free. So for 1.50 euros I was getting a cana and a small plate of delicious homecooked authentic tapas food. Some of the dishes were like meals in their own right. Unbeleivable value.
They go because of Ibizaa😏🎈🎉🎉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest