The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

What do you think my chances are in getting into trinity with a 2,S?
(offer 1,1)
Original post by KingRS
What do you think my chances are in getting into trinity with a 2,S?
(offer 1,1)

Erm, I will be honest,maybe not very high since it is trinity,they will probably pool you but you will get accepted by another college regardless so I wouldn't worry.
What marks are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Erm, I will be honest,maybe not very high since it is trinity,they will probably pool you but you will get accepted by another college regardless so I wouldn't worry.
What marks are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

70-75,90-95
Original post by KingRS
70-75,90-95

70-75 could be a 1.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
70-75 could be a 1.

Hopefully but my 70-75 is optimistic so I would be inclined to say I'm going to miss out by a few marks.

If I get a HM at the IMO do you think it would be worth sending them an email to improve my chances or would they be inclined not to take that into account since it's very niche?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingRS
Hopefully but my 70-75 is optimistic so I would be inclined to say I'm going to miss out by a few marks.

If I get a HM at the IMO do you think it would be worth sending them an email to improve my chances or would they be inclined not to take that into account since it's very niche?

Are you in the British team? Or just been to the maths camp?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cogito.
Are you in the British team? Or just been to the maths camp?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm on a team from a different country
Original post by KingRS
No I'm on a team from a different country

It will be very helpful if you tell them, also mention the question you attempted and which year it was, since Trinity used to be the maths camp when they select people from top BMO candidates.
Original post by KingRS

I don't think a HM would do much, a medal would though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I don't think a HM would do much, a medal would though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha well there's no chance of that happening, hopefully I'll get pooled to a decent college
Original post by KingRS
Haha well there's no chance of that happening, hopefully I'll get pooled to a decent college

I think if you get a high 2 and an S you are likely to be taken by Trinity, and virtually certain to be pooled if not.
Reply 2631
Original post by Leonard Dev

Enough for a 1 in both ¿😕

yes
Original post by KingRS

What country are you representing, if I may ask? If you got a HM i think it is worth emailing.
Reply 2633
Original post by JackSpinner1

Any help with this question?

No, stop hijacking this thread for your questions. Post a new thread in the maths forum if you want help.
Anyone got grade boundary predictions for a 1 in step 2&3?
Original post by Leonard Dev
Anyone got grade boundary predictions for a 1 in step 2&3?

I think the general conclusion was that II was about as difficult as usual, and III was slightly harder than normal. So II boundary somewhere in the low 70's, III somewhere in the mid 60's.
I got asked this on my AEA maths exam two weeks ago and I had no idea at all how to solve it and I'm still puzzled to this day

arcsin(1/3)+2arctan(1/sqrt2)

According to my calculator it's pi/2 but I have no idea how you end up there, may someone please explain? Also, it's a non calculator question
Original post by kelvin1338
I got asked this on my AEA maths exam two weeks ago and I had no idea at all how to solve it and I'm still puzzled to this day

arcsin(1/3)+2arctan(1/sqrt2)

According to my calculator it's pi/2 but I have no idea how you end up there, may someone please explain? Also, it's a non calculator question

double angle formula stuff

also what does arcsin(1/3) equal in terms of arctan(x)
Original post by sweeneyrod
I think the general conclusion was that II was about as difficult as usual, and III was slightly harder than normal. So II boundary somewhere in the low 70's, III somewhere in the mid 60's.

praying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending