The Student Room Group

Worried my choices are too 'soft'?

I'll be choosing my options next year, and am thinking of doing IB. These are these subjects I'm thinking of taking:colone:
English (HL)
French (HL)
Anthropology (HL/SL depending on which science I choose)
Maths Studies (SL)
Italian Ab Initio (SL)
Environmental Societies and Systems (SL) / Physics (HL)

Although I have no interest in continuing with any Science/Maths based subjects at university, I worry that taking Maths Studies and Environmental sciences might lower the quality of my uni application as I have heard that they are less highly regarded (no offence to those who take the subjects).

Some information about myself:
I have considered taking a Maths A-level with my course, but don't think it is right for me. I'm currently get A's in my science and Maths mocks, and am aiming for A*s in Science next year. However I don't take triple. Moreover, as of year 10 I have started to enjoy science less, which is why I'm slightly unsure about taking physics - also i'd like to take anthropology at higher if possible. What are your thoughts? And by taking HL English/French/Anthropology would this balance out the 'softer' subjects?Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Do not take physics hl if you do not like it even a little bit it requires so much effort and time to study it that you need to like it. Yes environmental systems and maths studies are considered a bit soft but if you think you can do really well in them I would suggest you take them.
Original post by ZakMinett
Although I have no interest in continuing with any Science/Maths based subjects at university

Then don't worry about doing softer maths/sciences. Just do it! HL Languages are pretty straight forward so you'd be looking at a nice high IB grade, no point in dragging it down by adding in more difficult subjects which aren't going to help you in any way.

Also I dunno if you got these subjects from an IB list or a school but be aware if you didn't get it from your school that IB Anthropology is vanishingly rare to actually be offered as a course. If you don't know 100% a school offers it, definitely check before setting your heart on it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending