The Student Room Group

Do you look down on 30+ year olds who work in retail?

Scroll to see replies

No absolutely not.
At the end of the day, its their own choice and alot of them love their jobs. I work in a retail clothing shop and my managers are older and they love it. They have a great interest in clothes and fashion and i think they like the discount haha
It's much much better than doing nothing, sitting claiming the dole because you are too lazy to go and get a job.
Original post by Playmaker#10
I know 21 year olds who earn £50,000 a year so why shouldn't they earn above that when they're 30

everyone can't have an above average income

also someone's got to drive the dustbin wagons etc.
Only if I am taller than them.
Original post by lisam191
No absolutely not.
At the end of the day, its their own choice and alot of them love their jobs. I work in a retail clothing shop and my managers are older and they love it. They have a great interest in clothes and fashion and i think they like the discount haha
It's much much better than doing nothing, sitting claiming the dole because you are too lazy to go and get a job.

But you're young and I doubt you want to work the same position in your mid thirties
No I look down on 18+ year olds who study a liberal arts degree, think that real work is beneath them and think they'll be high rolling millionaires for some reason. Someone working in retail is probably more financially solvent as well. Being £40K plus in the gutter with a liberal arts degree is awful
No I admire them. They are usually very helpful and attentive and are often some form of management level. They made a choice not to go to uni (some) and are doing well enough out of it, often with a property and a young family. A great role model for many, uni shouldn't be the only option
Reply 26
Well at least they're working and not on benefits.
I know 21 year olds who earn £50,000 a year so why shouldn't they earn above that when they're 30

Sounds interesting. What do these 21 year olds that are on £50,000 that you know of do for a living?
Original post by Blue_Mason
But you're young and I doubt you want to work the same position in your mid thirties

No I don't want to work there in my mid thirties because I don't have an interest in that. But I wouldn't look down on any older person working there. And as I've said my older managers love their job.
Stacking tinned items is not an honest days work.

Have you ever had a job in retail? If you have, you would know that the people you see stacking shelves have other tasks to complete. All of those tasks that they do throughout the entire day can be tiring.

As long as you have legal work and you work diligently, it's an honest days work. Hence they get an honest days pay.
Reply 30

Just because you know 21 year olds that earn £50k a year certainly doesn't mean that anyone above 30 should earn £75,000-£100,000/pa...
Reply 31
Or they just enjoy doing that job? Some people working in retail will earn more money than you will ever earn in your entire life
I did work experience with them so no; I do not look down on them. At least they are working earning money, not wasting time being unproductive and living off tax payers money
No, I don't think it's fair to judge someone based on their career choice.
Reply 34
No, but I'd question their life choices if that's all they managed to achieve in 30 years (the entry-level jobs, that is. Not something like management). I worked in a petrol station for a month; it was dreadful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AsapRocky
Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope.

But I dislike people who do and in the same time humiliate them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have never said anything about being a well paid city roller, bit it I the truth, I once worked a minimum wage job n it felt like slavery, but I was 18.
Making less than 10.00 an hour is disgusting

So why do you look down on them instead of feeling sorry for them
It's the *****y attitude of lifesnobs here that makes me glad we're all going to die.
I used to when I was younger but now I realise that
- a lot of them work part time to fit around kids or as a sort of semi-retirement (for older people), retail is ideal for that
- even if they are 'uneducated', that's nothing to look down on. I don't know their background or anything about their school years. besides, its hard enough as it is to get a job in retail with experience and a full education so they if you don't have qualifications I can't imagine how hard it is to get one
No, at least they're working and not scrounging off benefits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending