The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Felt sick to my teeth reading this.

How stupid can the Swedish police get? They should be giving out pepper spray or something!

I was about to say the same thing. It'd be much more effective.

How stupid can the Swedish police get? They should be giving out pepper spray or something!

If you speak out against stuff like this you're branded a racist by the lefties.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I was about to say the same thing. It'd be much more effective.

Pepper spray or they should be encouraging women to take self defence classes or something :/

Original post by physicsphysics91
If you speak out against stuff like this you're branded a racist by the lefties.

Some lefties are so brain dead it gobsmacks me.
Reply 23

I believe pepper spray is illegal in Sweden as well as Denmark (as the case a few months ago of a 17-year old Danish girl facing prosecution when she used it in self defense against her attacker: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418751/Danish-17-year-old-girl-used-pepper-spray-fight-rapist-near-migrant-asylum-centre-told-prosecuted-carrying-weapon.html)

Women will be charged if they use pepper spray in self defense. The police instead are giving them bracelets. Un-f**** real.
Original post by animus1
I believe pepper spray is illegal in Sweden as well as Denmark (as the case a few months ago of a 17-year old Danish girl facing prosecution when she used it in self defense against her attacker: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3418751/Danish-17-year-old-girl-used-pepper-spray-fight-rapist-near-migrant-asylum-centre-told-prosecuted-carrying-weapon.html)

Women will be charged if they use pepper spray in self defense. The police instead are giving them bracelets. Un-f**** real.

Chilli water then.

I read about that yeah. It's so disgusting how everyone's having to bend backwards for misogyny.
I lived in Sweden for two years, doing my Master's. Moved back to the UK in May. Didn't get sexually assaulted once. Lost count of how many times it has happened in the UK in clubs and bars though...
Reply 26
Original post by KingBradly
Perhaps. It's certainly worth a shot. But many of these people have spent their entire lives in countries where women who don't cover their heads are considered whores, and as such so are most women outside of the Islamic world, and perhaps especially Western women. In many middle eastern countries women are pretty much viewed as vessels for producing babies. They're considered so simply as sex objects that they must be entirely covered up, because their whole being is viewed as being entirely sexually explicit. I'm not sure any amount of lessons will cut through that kind of indoctrination. I'm sure they understand that what they're doing is viewed as wrong by our society, especially when they see the news, or when their victims are screaming and crying. I just don't think they care, and no amount of education will change that.

how so?

I'm a "leftie", I don't like labels but my political views would fall into that category. I don't think anything she said is racist and wholeheartedly agree with raising the issue of misogyny within certain communities. What I don't like are opportunists (especially in the far-right) who use the terrible experiences of victims of sexual violence for their own bigoted agendas. I would hope that other leftists are the same. So enough with the unsupported generalisations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by P357
how so?

It's not true. Much of this "Brown brutes are out to rape White women" phenomenon is disgusting for many reasons, one of the main ones being that it undermines the plight of non-White women who have been raped and assaulted in certain misogynistic communities, even though they are more likely to be victims of it because of the vulnerable positions they are in (domestic workers and the like). Countless times I have heard of Indonesian, Kenyan and Filipino maids being assaulted by their Saudi employers, even though they would be less likely to report it.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's unbelievable how much they he right are exaggerating this problem to blame refugees who have nowhere to go and who are literally running for their lives. Maybe 0.00001% of refugees are hardened rapists but this shouldn't be used to demonise an entire group of people who have experienced life in the worst places on Earth- we should welcome them and relish the opportunity that God has given us to spread the Gospel to them and turn them to Christ.
Original post by Trapz99
It's unbelievable how much they he right are exaggerating this problem to blame refugees who have nowhere to go and who are literally running for their lives. Maybe 0.00001% of refugees are hardened rapists but this shouldn't be used to demonise an entire group of people who have experienced life in the worst places on Earth- we should welcome them and relish the opportunity that God has given us to spread the Gospel to them and turn them to Christ.

Why are the majority of the refugees entering the EU not from Syria (and not from war-torn countries).
Why are the majority of the refugees entering the EU not from Syria (and not from war-torn countries).

Those people are not and should not be called refugees. They are illegal immigrants and need to be sent back to where they came from. We should have a proper method for real refugees to apply to seek refuge in the UK, with proper security checks to minimise the risk to Britain.
Reply 32

Thoughts?

Shake my head
Original post by Trapz99
Those people are not and should not be called refugees. They are illegal immigrants and need to be sent back to where they came from. We should have a proper method for real refugees to apply to seek refuge in the UK, with proper security checks to minimise the risk to Britain.

They are classified as refugees however and probably commit most of the crimes.

We're not talking about all migrants; they are not all considered to be refugees. However the majority of asylum seekers (who ARE considered to be refugees) are from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, all war-torn countries. No need to twist the facts, you come across as dishonest and misleading.
http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Asylum_statistics
Reply 35
Original post by WBZ144
It's not true. Much of this "Brown brutes are out to rape White women" phenomenon is disgusting for many reasons, one of the main ones being that it undermines the plight of non-White women who have been raped and assaulted in certain misogynistic communities, even though they are more likely to be victims of it because of the vulnerable positions they are in (domestic workers and the like). Countless times I have heard of Indonesian, Kenyan and Filipino maids being assaulted by their Saudi employers, even though they would be less likely to report it.

I know many women in developing countries are suffering I have read in the news that maids in Saudi arabia get murdered by their Saudi employers. I think it's disgusting and they should be shamed and there should be pressure put on countries such as Saudi Arabia for violation of human rights.
Original post by animus1

Just gonna say that. Then wtf are they meant to do exactly lol

Learn kung fu? >_> But that takes years. lol

These stupid walk around the problem "solutions." Just implement legislature like harsh sentencing, and do something about the goddamn migrant situation!
Original post by Trapz99

People need to learn the difference between migrant and refugee and immigrant and alien. Including the writers of this article. The article uses migrants as an umbrella term. I don't believe actual migrants (people who move around randomly for work) are all rapists.

I do believe these traumatised refugees might be doing the raping...in that case, they can't just be sent back because they're being implanted for their protection supposedly. Which means just deporting/banning all of them could be a good solution, but then it'll be seen as inhumane and stuff. So in the meantime lengthy sentencing. When their residential status is confirmed, if it can be, then deport them if they commit crime. But they're not doing anything. They're being overly nice with no legislative protection of their people :\
Would love to know how many people posting here have actually spent an extended period of time in Sweden?

Most/all British media has an agenda to push and so does the Swedish media. Would you like it if I made a judgement on where you live based on crap you read in the Daily Mail?
Original post by WBZ144
I have lived in the Middle East and that's a very broad generalisation. For an example, you cannot compare Saudi women to Lebanese and Jordanian women. While the latter still have issues with discrimination, many do not cover, they do not need male guardians to travel and go out and they work in pretty much every field that men work in. The issue is that the honour culture still exists, especially in the rural parts of these countries. That may stop women from reporting rape and sexual assault because they worry about bringing shame to their families.

In the KSA and Iran women have to cover their heads by law. In the KSA women must also have a male guardian when they leave the home, and they cannot drive. They've only just been allowed to vote. I'm aware some of the ME is far more liberal than this, but it's not saying much. Although women who wear veils may be respected, women who don't, or even worse women who dress provacatively, are generally viewed as whores who shouldn't be respected at all. I've spent a lot of time speaking to middle eastern men and I know this is how many of them feel, especially those that come from poorer, more isolated backgrounds.

The proof is in the pudding though, and clearly many of these men do think in this way, as we can see from the various mass sexual assaults that have occured.

Latest

Trending

Trending