The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

University Student Finance

Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all having a lovely day.
I am writing to ask you a very important question.

Apart from the student finance for University fees what other financial help can I get for the daily student life?
Please state those websites!

I would be extremely grateful for your help because I am only with a single parent who recently is in struggle of finding work due to companies running out of work material and it's gotten to the stage where work might not be guaranteed, I don't know how to say or what more to say other than the situation being complicated.

I would accept every piece of advice you give me.
Please don't judge me or hate me, sometimes life is harsh on us and we cannot help the situations that occur in our lives but we just need to keep looking for ways of swimming to the top! :smile:

Thank you in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
Can anyone please suggest something! Please don't be ignorant this is really important to me!
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
You'd normally be eligible for maintenance loan (up to £10,702 in London/ up to £8,200 outside of London). If you would be living on campus then in your case you're likely to the get the full maximum amount in your circumstances. Although if you're applying for 2016/17 year then it's a bit late to do that now
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by katherine9609
You'd normally be eligible for maintenance loan (up to £10,702 in London/ up to £8,200 outside of London). If you'd be living outside of home on the campus then in your case you're likely to the get the full maximum amount. Although if you're applying for 2016/17 year then it's a bit late to do that now

Okay.
I will be at an accommodation and outside of London. For that accommodation I will be paying £4,000 per year gas, wi-fi and electricity included.
Can you please link me the page where I can go and apply?
You are saying I am late for the 2016/17 term, when is the soonest I can apply?

Thank you in advance
Original post by Chochiana
Okay.
I will be at an accommodation and outside of London. For that accommodation I will be paying £4,000 per year gas, wi-fi and electricity included.
Can you please link me the page where I can go and apply?
You are saying I am late for the 2016/17 term, when is the soonest I can apply?

Thank you in advance

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

You apply for the maintenance loan at the same time you apply for your tuition loan in the same application. The official deadline for first years was the 27th of May. You can still apply up to 9 months after youve started uni but you will have to pay everything yourself until you will be awarded the money.

If you apply now, don't expect to be paid anywhere near the start of your uni as it takes absolute ages (a month, sometimes 2) for the evidence to be sorted. They can take ages to even ask for the very final piece of evidence (your parents eg. P60 to prove income for the tax year 2014-15) and then it can take up to 28 days (sometimes even longer) for them to process each piece of evidence.
Reply 6
If you applied for the fees, you should've applied for maintenance loan too as others have already explained. You can still apply but odds are, you will get it later than others.

You can also try looking at grants and bursaries. Most universities have something they provide, check the uni website. Also check websites like turn2us
Reply 7
Original post by Devify
If you applied for the fees, you should've applied for maintenance loan too as others have already explained. You can still apply but odds are, you will get it later than others.

You can also try looking at grants and bursaries. Most universities have something they provide, check the uni website. Also check websites like turn2us

So when I log into my Student Finance account I will find the option of also applying for the Maintenance Loan (extra money) correct?
Reply 8
It should have been an option during the original application. I would look at the entitlement, you may have applied without knowing considering that it's pretty hard to miss.

Otherwise, I'm not sure if you can just add it online now. You may have to call them up
Original post by Chochiana
So when I log into my Student Finance account I will find the option of also applying for the Maintenance Loan (extra money) correct?

No. There is no option for it separately. You should have applied the maintenance loan when you were applying for the tuition loan. It's all in one application. If you have only applied for the tuition loan, then that means you have clicked "no" when you had the option to choose if you want to apply for maintenance loan.

All you can do now is call them up and ask can you also apply for maintenance loan even though you have already sent your application off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending