The Student Room Group

Why is the IQ so low in Saudia Arabia (84)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teleport1
Arguing about politics is different. Its common in all countries. But apart from that I dont really see any of that. And its not your fault.... just some things ive experienced a lot

So in the west, you don't see anyone criticising their government?
Original post by Bill_Gates
But that tends to be the correlation. Money = Higher IQ over time in nearly most cases.

Just because they have a lot of money which has been aquired from oil, doesn't mean they are smart. It doesn't mean the general population is smart.
Who needs oil? Everyone needs oil. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to get rich from selling oil. What negates intelligence? Religion negates intelligence. Specifically, a fanatic following and adherence to religion negates any possible perception of intelligence. I think that begins to describe (only just) Saudi Arabia. I don't think they are smart just because they are rich. Also, I don't think you can put their lifestyle down to religious based ignorance. There is an air of stupidity there too.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Considering the report talking about IQ levels being linked to education has been written by a qualified neurosurgeon only 2 years ago, I will believe it sweetheart.

Can you please show me evidence that shows encouragement of creative thinking from a nation which still preaches religious hatred in their schoolbooks? You seem so hellbent on saying that Saudi Arabian schools encourage thinking outside the box. I've put down my evidence that implies otherwise.

Show me yours.

Lol. You are saying you believe some guy who is a neurosurgeon (there are lots of them in the world) who might be wrong whereas I have seen it myself and you are saying im the one that has no evidence? Lol. So if I became a neurosurgeon you would believe what I say but until then you wont believe anything that I say.
Original post by chemting

Again thats common in all countries, it comes under politics. But other things I dont see much criticism of their own countries in the west. While other countries would do it to retaliate, people in the west usually start it.
IQ tests are meaningless .People who are actually trying to support this statement about saudi arabia and lower IQ tests are just embarassing themselves.
Lol. You are saying you believe some guy who is a neurosurgeon (there are lots of them in the world) who might be wrong whereas I have seen it myself and you are saying im the one that has no evidence? Lol. So if I became a neurosurgeon you would believe what I say but until then you wont believe anything that I say.

Can you show me evidence that Saudi Arabian education promotes thinking outside the box?You either can or you can't. Dragging this is just making you look desperate to try and look tough. What you think of the education system doesn't speak for every single pupil in Saudi.

I showed my evidence on the link between education and IQ levels. Sucks you can't back yourself up babe.
Original post by Kadak
IQ tests are meaningless .People who are actually trying to support this statement about saudi arabia and lower IQ tests are just embarassing themselves.

Thanks a bunch hun.
Can you show me evidence that Saudi Arabian education promotes thinking outside the box?You either can or you can't. Dragging this is just making you look desperate to try and look tough. What you think of the education system doesn't speak for every single pupil in Saudi.

I showed my evidence on the link between education and IQ levels. Sucks you can't back yourself up babe.

This is just pathetic. Im not saying you should take my word for it. Im saying you shouldnt take anyones word for it and go see for yourself. Just because some neuroscientist says it doesnt mean its true. If the neuroscientist said you dont exist would you believe him? There are a lot of factors which would distort the results when it comes to these things so you cant just believe what a graph says.
Original post by chemting

Shame he can't see our PM's criticising Western foreign policy :tongue:
Thanks a bunch hun.

You dont get what I am saying.

Im not saying there is not a problem,Saudi Arabia problem is to due with how religious eduacation is prioritised over other things like science ,maths,etc although they are trying to change that.So I agree with you on that.
But this title gives the idea that Saudi Arabians are just stupid,and does not give credit to other factors like the one I raised above.
Not to mention trying to argue from IQ is misleading.You can teach ppl to pass IQ tests.Is that what you want?It doest give you any idea about creativity etc.
But you are not arguing from the point of IQ,so my comment was not for you.Sorey if you though so :smile::p:H!
As certain individuals have pointed out, IQ tests are not an accurate measure of intelligence and it's difficult to impose that kind of testing on other cultures and compare results. Having a low IQ doesn't make one stupid or unintelligent. IQ tests largely test for abstract thinking, creativeness and quickness of thought. While these standards may be associated with intelligence in one culture, it might not be the case in another. As a result IQ tests suffer a lot from cultural biases
Original post by teenhorrorstory
As certain individuals have pointed out, IQ tests are not an accurate measure of intelligence and it's difficult to impose that kind of testing on other cultures and compare results. Having a low IQ doesn't make one stupid or unintelligent. IQ tests largely test for abstract thinking, creativeness and quickness of thought. While these standards may be associated with intelligence in one culture, it might not be the case in another. As a result IQ tests suffer a lot from cultural biases

So you're saying the kind of intelligence which leads to wealthy advanced societies, mathematics, science, medicine and business are unimportant because some people don't value civilisation?

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:rofl:

inb4 I move to the mountains and become a hermit
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
So you're saying the kind of intelligence which leads to wealthy advanced societies, mathematics, science, medicine and business are unimportant because some people don't value civilisation?

AHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:rofl:

inb4 I move to the mountains and become a hermit

I said no such thing, try to improve your comprehension skills :yy:
I said no such thing, try to improve your comprehension skills :yy:

IQ tests largely test for abstract thinking, creativeness and quickness of thought. While these standards may be associated with intelligence in one culture, it might not be the case in another.

Are you saying that you can be stupid, but if you come from a culture which really values your ability to perform handstands you're actually intelligent in that culture?
How about.... because they're dumb? Seems like the most rational answer.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Why is the IQ so low in Saudia Arabia (84)?

it's one of the richest nations in the world in terms of oil, GDP per capita has more than doubled yet IQ has remained around the same at 84?

70 IQ is seen to be retarded.

Surely with more money = better education, better nutrition = higher IQ

But... but... they have Islam.
Again thats common in all countries, it comes under politics. But other things I dont see much criticism of their own countries in the west.

I don't mean politicians attacking other politicians. That happens everywhere, I agree.

Do you think nobody in the west criticises their own country or its own government's policies? Do you read papers, or even look at discussions on TSR?

And that's "common" is it?

Also, are you saying nobody in other countries criticises western countries?

While other countries would do it to retaliate, people in the west usually start it.

I assume you mean foreign policy.
That's a different conversation, but do you think nobody in the west criticises their own foreign policy?
I should stop tolling even if other people say foolish things. Natinal wealth counts for very little if there is a high degree of inequality whereby most people in that nation are not benefiting from the newfound riches. We also have to consider that most of the benefits from being wealthy are derived from cultural capital rather than raw affluence. A child whose parent instill a value of education will generally
A child with parents who instill a value of education will generally do better than someone from a well off background who has negligent parents.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Are you saying that you can be stupid, but if you come from a culture which really values your ability to perform handstands you're actually intelligent in that culture?

You arent getting her point.
You are assuming IQ tests are a genuine representation of intellegience.
Her point is that it IS NOT A GENUINE REPRESENTATION OF INTELLEGIENCE.
Many famous people who have achieved great things have gotten low IQ scores.Other factors like the Flynn effect and fact people from higher socioeconomic backgrounds do better show IQ tests cant be taken seriously .
Hawking nailed it with his famous wuote that only losers boast about IQ.
By focusing disproportionately on IQ,you are missing the point.Intellegience is a means to an end,many intellegient people have achieved nothing and many mediocre ppl have achieved great things.

It should be obvious anyway that something as complex as intellegience cant be truly gauged by a standardiaed test.How do account for emotional intellegience etc.?

Quick Reply

Latest