The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

This is based on my experience with the 600Q ISC book
630 in VR and 770 in AR
Got these in practice sections. To check if these scores are good/avg/bad, should I refer to the averages on this - http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202015.pdf

My main confusion is that these are averages, but not necessarily GOOD or BAD (I mean it is not stated)
So its good that im above these right?
Original post by dakshsaksena
630 in VR and 770 in AR
Got these in practice sections. To check if these scores are good/avg/bad, should I refer to the averages on this - http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202015.pdf

My main confusion is that these are averages, but not necessarily GOOD or BAD (I mean it is not stated)
So its good that im above these right?

You could use that to get an idea of how you're doing, but the averages will vary year on year and aren't necessarily representative of the averages for the practice tests.

Having a score above average is good, and you'll be able to see what decile you're in after not too long after you do the real thing.*
Original post by st nick
Hi, I took the UKCAT last year so I kinda know the standard.
1. Well ideally you'd like to complete all the questions and I would say, keep on practicing timing, as it is a big factor. However, it's better to do 80% of the questions and get them all right then to rush and do all the questions and only get 50%. So yeah, work on timing and try your best to speed-up.
2. You're doing great, ISC is obviously too hard. The questions in the real thing are more like medify and pearson vue ones.
3. QR in the real thing is relatively simple so go with the medify questions on this.

The new ISC book contains the old QR questions, which people felt were too hard, to which they have added a whole load of new slightly easier ones. So I would say that the new book should now have a good balance of difficulty for QR.

As for AR, I have always felt it was a matter of personal aptitude. I sometimes got stuck for hours in front of what ended up being a really stupid and easy relationship between shapes, always trying to overcomplicate things. AR is oneof those things where if you don't find it straight away, you probably won't find it at all. As such, every exercise has the potential of being hard. Even some of the official UKCAT questions can be hard if you approach them with the wrong slant. The only conclusion you can draw from that is that if a book as easy AR questions, then it is probably too easy.
I'm struggling with QR and VR. Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle these two sections in the best way.
I wasn't aware of the UKCAT until it was mentioned in QMUL open day. I have booked my exam for the latest possible date (Tuesday 4th October) because I don't feel prepared at all. I'll most likely start revising in July but I'm not sure if this is enough time seeing as the test is quite difficult. Have you guys got any tips, useful revision guides, books, youtubers or websites? Anything really that would be useful.
Hope your revision is going well and good luck!
Original post by MVEMJSUNP
I wasn't aware of the UKCAT until it was mentioned in QMUL open day. I have booked my exam for the latest possible date (Tuesday 4th October) because I don't feel prepared at all. I'll most likely start revising in July but I'm not sure if this is enough time seeing as the test is quite difficult. Have you guys got any tips, useful revision guides, books, youtubers or websites? Anything really that would be useful.

That is more than enough time. A month to six weeks is all you need.

Medify. ISC 1000q book and you're sorted.
I have my test on 18th of august. Is it enough time for me to practice??

Thanku

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MVEMJSUNP

Just a warning but don't you think that October is a bit late? For a lot of people UKCAT is the deciding factor of where to apply to as it shows where they are most likely to get in so I would seriously consider this. Plus you can prepare but you can't really at the same time as its aptitude not knowledge. Medify is the best and so is the Master the UKCAT Kaplan book.
Original post by nisha devi
I have my test on 18th of august. Is it enough time for me to practice??

Thanku

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, Its more than enough
Thankyouuuu.
Goodluck for exam . Let me know how it goes 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everybody, anyone knows good online practice tests? Apart from Medify, is there anything good for free?
Original post by AliceLewis
Hi everybody, anyone knows good online practice tests? Apart from Medify, is there anything good for free?

Same here: has anyone used Blackstone Tutors? I've been told Medify is good but for how long/ which package?

Thanks in advance
:wink:

AliceL.
Original post by AliceLambert
Same here: has anyone used Blackstone Tutors? I've been told Medify is good but for how long/ which package?

Thanks in advance

AliceL.

Because there are so many questions I would get it up to a month in advance and just do a bit everyday as you won't run out of questions
Reply 194
UKCAT is done and goodbye entry 2017
Original post by 2njee

It's not the end of the world if it didn't go as well as you wanted - there are Med Schools that don't place too much emphasis on it so you could apply to those. Or do the BMAT (but the former is the safer option).
Why goodbye?
Original post by AliceLambert

Thanks in advance

AliceL.

Back when I applied I bought I think 3 months and did a little bit everyday? People will claim that good marks in the test require X Y or Z but in total honesty it's down to just doing loads of questions and familiarisation.

A few of us chatted about UKCAT last year on the course and it was staggering to see how 'badly' some had done yet they're smashing medschool and will hopefully be very successful doctors!
Original post by 2njee

How much did you get?
How have you guys done if you've done the exam already? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending