The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Do they still do that reversing around a corner manouever? ****, i hated that. I've been driving for 7 years now (old as **** at 24 here) and i have never once had to reverse around a corner since the day of my driving test.
Reply 361
Original post by lisam191
Do they still do that reversing around a corner manouever? ****, i hated that. I've been driving for 7 years now (old as **** at 24 here) and i have never once had to reverse around a corner since the day of my driving test.

Yeah they still do and people rarely actually have to do the manoeuvre.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Yeah they still do and people rarely actually have to do the manoeuvre.

I would disagree with this, plenty of times since passing my test (a year and a half ago) I have had to reverse around a corner. Mainly on residential roads with not much room to do a 3 point turn and not enough room to swing the car round in a junction, left reverse round a corner is your solution.
But maybe thats just me, who knows
Original post by Bern Herkins
I would disagree with this, plenty of times since passing my test (a year and a half ago) I have had to reverse around a corner. Mainly on residential roads with not much room to do a 3 point turn and not enough room to swing the car round in a junction, left reverse round a corner is your solution.

I have done it a few times too. I don't do it nearly as perfectly as I used to in my lessons though. As in, I don't follow the curb completely around :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 364
Original post by Bern Herkins

True, I guess that makes sense. No need to actually do it perfectly like they do in the test though. Not like going on the curb is going to kill anybody. I guess maybe so you don't hit a lampost or something.
Reply 365
Hows everyone's lessons going? Ready for their test?

I haven't taken a lesson since my test that I failed back in June. I haven't managed to find an earlier date, still in September. I've been checking everyday like 4 times :frown: anyways, I'm not going to take any lessons until there's about 3 weeks before my test in order to brush up on my driving and manoeuvres. So I'm taking a break from driving for now.
Original post by Spock's Socks
So after a year out of lessons due to my health, I'm now back at driving lessons. I had my first lesson today and it was with a new instructor. I made a thread like this last year when I first started and thought I'd make another :colondollar:

I think back then, gears were my biggest hurdle. Now its definitely the clutch and acceleration. I either don't rev enough or I don't lift the clutch up in time or all that jazz. Stalled 3 times today and all at busy junctions :colondollar: after a year out though, I was expecting it. Not a lover of reversing either. I can reverse perfectly in a straight line but that's it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The outrageous sum of money that is learning how to drive? After 15 lessons I was like, test time! Oh and reversing around the corner? Like genuinely I don't recall ever using it more than 10 times in all the time I've been driving?
Had a lesson today, literally one of those days where I was screwing up, i.e stalling, slightly messing up manoeuvres -.- not entirely sure if it's because my test is next month or it was just generally a bad day.. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 days until my second test. :s-smilie:
So I failed my first test a few days ago and can't get another test until the 5th October this year. :banghead:
I did fine on everything except hit the curb once when trying to parallel park. She picked a slightly curved road and I wasn't sure how to change what I was doing to match the situation so I suppose that's what the test is supposed to find out if you can do or not lol.

Has anyone had much luck trying to get in with cancellations? My driving instructor has said that I can pay £17 to a certain company who will text me as soon as a cancellation appears but I don't know about just checking it myself every day.
Original post by melinae
So I failed my first test a few days ago and can't get another test until the 5th October this year. :banghead:
I did fine on everything except hit the curb once when trying to parallel park. She picked a slightly curved road and I wasn't sure how to change what I was doing to match the situation so I suppose that's what the test is supposed to find out if you can do or not lol.

Has anyone had much luck trying to get in with cancellations? My driving instructor has said that I can pay £17 to a certain company who will text me as soon as a cancellation appears but I don't know about just checking it myself every day.

Oh no sorry to hear :frown:! Ah that's long :/

Tbh I haven't bothered checking for cancellations as I've kept my original test date, which is next month :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17

Aw good luck for when you do your test, hope you do well :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 372
Original post by rayquaza17

best of luck with your test :hugs: :hugs:
Reply 373
Original post by ohhello92x
Had a lesson today, literally one of those days where I was screwing up, i.e stalling, slightly messing up manoeuvres -.- not entirely sure if it's because my test is next month or it was just generally a bad day.. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could be a mix of nerves leading up to your test plus it was just one of those days that we all get with driving, both in lessons and when we pass. Don't be like me and dwell on the mistakes you made during a bad lesson, just pick yourself up from it, laugh it off and remain calm and clear for your test. I'm sure your next lesson will go more smoothly :hugs:
Could be a mix of nerves leading up to your test plus it was just one of those days that we all get with driving, both in lessons and when we pass. Don't be like me and dwell on the mistakes you made during a bad lesson, just pick yourself up from it, laugh it off and remain calm and clear for your test. I'm sure your next lesson will go more smoothly :hugs:

Thanks :redface: yeah exactly haha ended up laughing at myself during my lesson cuz I kept stalling when doing the turn in the road :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by melinae

I done this. It's eighteen pounds and they text you. You respond back within 12 mims. If you don't within those minutes they give it away

So useful. Helped me find a test a month after I failed my first one well a few weeks earlier than a month, even.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 376
Turning, using push-pull technique....

I go go-karting often so my hands always get criss-crossed when turning :frown:

I'm so used to turning on a go-kart track that it's a habit in the car (also different wheel mechanics confuse the **** outta me)
Just had an amazing lesson :biggrin:
My clutch control is actually really good if I do say so myself. I feel like it really dropped into place today and it feels natural already :smile:
I'm still struggling with panicking on minor faults and then messing up because I'm rushing. And crossing my arms on right turns but I've mostly sorted that out today. Super successful lesson :3
Reply 378
My mum has booked her theory test today and guess who has she roped into helping her with revision :laugh: :tongue:
My mum has booked her theory test today and guess who has she roped into helping her with revision :laugh: :tongue:

Haha fair enough :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending