The Student Room Group

What would you do if someone you loved got on drugs?

Scroll to see replies

Ironically the craziest experience of my life was smoking something completely legal, this **** is ****in mind altering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum
<3

Best gf ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been in this situation and I stuck around and tried to help my partner get off the drugs as best as I could but in the end he chose the drugs over me and we broke up (as I made it clear I wasn't going to just 'accept' his addiction). It's tough and chances are even if they kick the habit they'll relapse, and more than once.
I would try and help them as much as I can but if it reached a point where they don't even want to help themselves then what can I do? :dontknow:
Original post by 0to100
And properly addicted not just partying hard from time to time
but like...dramatic life or die intervention status type of addiction
Like would you date a druggie/alcoholic if when you 1st got together they were straight and clean, and then they fell off after time? Would you break up with them during their struggle to kick the habit? Kick them out if they were living with you? Not let them come back in to couch surf for the night?

Just wondering

It would depend on what state of the relationship we were in. If he we were just dating I'd dump him but obviously if it was something a lot more serious such as a marriage and we had kids I'd try and make him go to rehab or something. Locking him up wouldn't solve anything, if you're addicted to drugs you need help not a c*ck shoved up your ass.
I'm assuming this is couple relationships. I broke up with my boyfriend because he was becoming an addict if your partner still 'loves' you and if it isn't the drugs talking, try talking to him/her about the reasons behind the act and start thinking of other alternatives they could take instead of these drugs, you could try and slowly get him/her off of it, which will take a very long time but you basically do this by putting a limit on their intake so they begin to have less and less as each day/week/fortnight goes by (be aware of withdrawal symptoms - can become aggressive/violent etc.). Seek professional help if you're really worried. If police find out you could be questioned just how I was, if the relationship is worth it then i'll say try but if it isn't don't try and hurt yourself over it as it becomes a painful experience at times and sometimes the relationship is not worth the hardship, although they could completely get off it once you've 'broken' up but sometimes they'll just depend on it more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rahima900
I'm assuming this is couple relationships. I broke up with my boyfriend because he was becoming an addict if your partner still 'loves' you and if it isn't the drugs talking, try talking to him/her about the reasons behind the act and start thinking of other alternatives they could take instead of these drugs, you could try and slowly get him/her off of it, which will take a very long time but you basically do this by putting a limit on their intake so they begin to have less and less as each day/week/fortnight goes by (be aware of withdrawal symptoms - can become aggressive/violent etc.). Seek professional help if you're really worried. If police find out you could be questioned just how I was, if the relationship is worth it then i'll say try but if it isn't don't try and hurt yourself over it as it becomes a painful experience at times and sometimes the relationship is not worth the hardship, although they could completely get off it once you've 'broken' up but sometimes they'll just depend on it more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't how addiction works. You should seek professional help immediately. Trying to manage the addiction yourself is dangerous to you and your partner.
This made me laugh so hard :rofl:
Original post by Zargabaath
This made me laugh so hard :rofl:

Gr8 m8 I r8 8/8
I just wanted to congratul8 because when u partcip8 in the deb8 it's gr8
A bf/gf relationship can be srs as well wth :erm: As a human being they're still gonna need support. So you could move on knowing they're probably gonna contract disease and be left for dead frothing in a skip somewhere? All because you weren't "serious" about them? What if you dated for years? What if you planned to marry? What if you live together? How about if you have come to love them? Still a no? It's not your obligation to save anyone but I'd think someone you know. it's no different than a friend or relative.

And yes I agree slamming him in the nick doesn't help either because there they don't get rehab. They actually do drugs in prison. >_>
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Legendary Quest
I would try and help them as much as I can but if it reached a point where they don't even want to help themselves then what can I do? :dontknow:

Well you wont know until ya try. Some people see abandonment as tough love, like they dont wanna enable. But many times it's just downright apathy :\
As long as you try which would involve (mainly my concern is if you lived with them beforehand) continuing to domesticate and dealing with their behaviour as they ideally attend at least NHS funded local support centres, and go to counselling and making sure they take prescribed subs like methadone and stuff. Some people just cba and leave their family or partner to it smh. If you didn't live together then still keep contact and attend some services with them, like basically being a carer :\ Would you lot do stuff like that?
Original post by hezzlington
Would abandon them. No amount of Love and support cannot beat drug addiction. Trust me. The onus is on the addict to get through it. Drug addiction is one of the most powerful behaviors I've ever seen. It can bring a relationship to its knees and then some. I'd not continue a relationship with somebody who is a former addict.Honestly not worth the risk.

Speaking from experience I can relate to the post above.
Addiction on drugs is maybe the most powerful addiction, there is no one who can help this person go clean, except from themselves. If the person addicted realises that he is addicted then by all means it is possible by going on rehab to go straight clean.

But there is a very thin line between clean and "just this once". 2 of the cases from friends that I have experienced went on the "just this once" path after a lot of months being clean. Both of them are now deceased, one from fixed heroin because he owed money to the drug dealers, and the other from cocaine overdose or " suction " ( am I saying this correctly ? ).

Bottom line is that, once you go down the road of being a user and an addict only a big amount of willpower of your ownself can help you. nobody else..
Original post by rahima900

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea this isn't about trying to find the harmony of the former relationship before they got on drugs. I'm asking about, relationship aside, even if you break up, would you still have them in your life simply to make sure they get clean? Yea seeking professional help, sometimes it's expensive but there's other services and contact centres, helplines etc to help poorer people get clean. Would you even bother doing that or would you just say eugh go away?

I'm not really asking about you your personal life just hypothetically can you see yourself caring for a current or former partner struggling with drugs?
Original post by Eleftheriadis
Speaking from experience I can relate to the post above.
Addiction on drugs is maybe the most powerful addiction, there is no one who can help this person go clean, except from themselves. If the person addicted realises that he is addicted then by all means it is possible by going on rehab to go straight clean.

But there is a very thin line between clean and "just this once". 2 of the cases from friends that I have experienced went on the "just this once" path after a lot of months being clean. Both of them are now deceased, one from fixed heroin because he owed money to the drug dealers, and the other from cocaine overdose or " suction " ( am I saying this correctly ? ).

Bottom line is that, once you go down the road of being a user and an addict only a big amount of willpower of your ownself can help you. nobody else..

Yea it's obviously a horrible struggle and it's up to the person but I just believe ppl need support through it. A talking-to is silly honestly. Some people say they gotta hit a rock bottom to get the reality check like let them continue till they're homeless or get arrested, but obviously that doesn't always work, because they end up dead before or after that happens. Man Idk :s-smilie: I know people who were pinned, down taken hospital, sedated there and given detox, and some fought to get clean others didn't. It's honestly horrible seeing people rot in front of you. So idk what to do.
Original post by JohnGreek
Drag their ass to one of those drug addiction therapy centres and lock them up there until they recover - I guess that that's simultaneously keeping them as friends and abandoning them

No that's not abandonment if it's to benefit their health in the long run. You can visit, ring them, write letters, encourage their progress, send em stuff...
Abandoning is like, cutting off contact with them in the middle of their habit. If they ask for money, food, a place to stay for however long, a quick bath, a lift, or actual help with their habit like helping em register for support, whatever, and you say no, that's abandonment. That way they'll get worse, end up dead probably. :\
What about regular drug tests? If they fail or keep failing after a certain period of time presumably after other help and resources were offered, I would probably stop trying to help for a bit and leave em to it but still give them what they want like money and shelter :\ not some random smackhead or tramp but remembering they were once a good friend. >_>
Anything other than weed, I wouldn't accept. I'd force them into rehab. It would be hellish for them but you have to be cruel to be kind. If they refused help then I don't think I would stay. It's a situation I hope to never be in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sometimes you can't do anything. People who can't take care of themselves will fail eventually. It has to do with the way reality works, sadly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending