The Student Room Group

I can't find a job anywhere

I've applied to so many places but I'm never successful and it's really starting to get to me. I'm in year 12 going into year 13 and pretty much everyone has a job but me. It's so frustrating when you want to go out and do stuff with friends but just can't afford it, and I would like to start saving up now for extra uni funds and stuff too. When applying for a retail job, I always fail that assessment thing with the questions that give you scenarios and you have to choose the best course of action :/ even though I think I pick the right answer I fail. I don't know what to do, I've applied to a couple more places, neither of which has got back to me yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Well obviously if you fail on the scenario questions part, you aren't choosing the right answers.

If you really want a job, stop being so picky by just going into retail. Coffee shops and pubs are constantly looking for someone. Warehouses will usually hire anyone on the spot. You could also get a cleaning job, they usually have nice short shifts 1-3 hours and either really early 6-7am before places open or late in the evening 6-7pm after places have closed. So you can even do it while studying.
Original post by Devify
Well obviously if you fail on the scenario questions part, you aren't choosing the right answers.

If you really want a job, stop being so picky by just going into retail. Coffee shops and pubs are constantly looking for someone. Warehouses will usually hire anyone on the spot. You could also get a cleaning job, they usually have nice short shifts 1-3 hours and either really early 6-7am before places open or late in the evening 6-7pm after places have closed. So you can even do it while studying.

Well yes, I know I'm obviously choosing the wrong answer ._. But I mean it happens even when I think I have the right answer. And I'm not being picky, I have applied for waitress jobs and such; I can only apply where there's actually a vacancy and most of them in my local town just happen to be retail. Thanks for the advice though c: (hope this didn't come off as rude lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by zombie-dance
Well yes, I know I'm obviously choosing the wrong answer ._. But I mean it happens even when I think I have the right answer. And I'm not being picky, I have applied for waitress jobs and such; I can only apply where there's actually a vacancy and most of them in my local town just happen to be retail. Thanks for the advice though c: (hope this didn't come off as rude lol)

You're actually wrong right there. They don't have to have a vacancy for you to apply.

Have your CV nicely laid out and print off a few copies. Dress semiformal and go through local pubs and coffee shops and ask if they have any vacancies and if you could leave your CV with them if they have anything that opens up.

Check of there are any warehouses nearby. They won't always have vacancies online or only look for full time staff online. But if you come in and speak to the manager, they will usually give you the job on the spot with whatever hours you can do.

McDonald's and places like that also always look for staff. Make a list of different stores near you and check on their careers websites. They tend to put up vacancies there first.

Also go out and pay attention to your surroundings. A lot of the places will firstly put up vacancy signs by the entrances before putting them up online because it costs money to put up the ads online.
Reply 4
You could look into data entry as well. An easy enough job that pays reasonably.

Quick Reply

Latest