The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Joint honours confusion

I have a place to study undergraduate Philosophy and English Literature at Edinburgh in September. I understand that the four-year courses offered by Scottish unis are somewhat different from the undergraduate courses offered in England. They are a year longer and undergrads are expected to study 3 different subjects in the first 1-2 years of the course. This is where my confusion arises: will I be expected to take one subject in addition to philosophy and literature, or will I be expected to take an additional two subjects? Since my offer is for a joint honours course in P & EL, does this count as two subjects out of the required three or will it count as a single, combined subject?

Thanks
Reply 1
Look at the information on their website. It says exactly what you will study. There is a section where you can see the programme structure. It shows the compulsory units and how many credits you need to take from optional units as well as what you can chose from. So you can see exactly how many different ones you will have to do.
Just find your joint degree on the university website, check the "what you will study" section and at the very end of that section there is a link to the structure of the programme
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Repsol
I have a place to study undergraduate Philosophy and English Literature at Edinburgh in September. I understand that the four-year courses offered by Scottish unis are somewhat different from the undergraduate courses offered in England. They are a year longer and undergrads are expected to study 3 different subjects in the first 1-2 years of the course. This is where my confusion arises: will I be expected to take one subject in addition to philosophy and literature, or will I be expected to take an additional two subjects? Since my offer is for a joint honours course in P & EL, does this count as two subjects out of the required three or will it count as a single, combined subject?

Thanks

Each year you have to do 120 credits

In this particular case you will have the option of just 20 credits of outside study ( in semester 1) in your first year as Philosophy has more than 40 credits of compolosory courses in first year ( although you can use that 20 credits on the Philosophy of science optional course if you want)

You can see details here:

DPT: Philosophy and English Literature (MA Hons) (UTPHIET)

http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/16-17/dpt/utphiet.htm

You will have the option to do 40 credits outside course in year 2 ( but can choose additional Philosophy course if you prefer)

I have to ask though- how come you didn't actually research the course you applied for and what it entailed ? The information is clearly on the Edinburgh University website

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=VQ53

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending