The Student Room Group

A-level choices issue

I thought I'd finally figured out my A-level options, but now I'm considering doing Computer Science at university. I think it's most likely I'll do one of Econ, PPE, or Comp Sci (I know, quite different...) but of course I don't know yet.

I was going to do Maths, FM, Philosophy (Pre-U) and Economics, but now I'm thinking about switching to Maths+FM+Physics+Economics+EPQ(maybe), so I can do CompSci at Cambridge if I want to. Is this a good choice, and would it strongly disadvantage me for PPE? I called admissions at Oxford and they said it would not hinder my chances, but is this just the official line or is it actually true? Also, having not taken Computing or Philosophy, will this hurt my 'subject enthusiasm and knowledge' in interviews (if I get that far) for PPE or CompSci?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Confuzzled139
I thought I'd finally figured out my A-level options, but now I'm considering doing Computer Science at university. I think it's most likely I'll do one of Econ, PPE, or Comp Sci (I know, quite different...) but of course I don't know yet.

I was going to do Maths, FM, Philosophy (Pre-U) and Economics, but now I'm thinking about switching to Maths+FM+Physics+Economics+EPQ(maybe), so I can do CompSci at Cambridge if I want to. Is this a good choice, and would it strongly disadvantage me for PPE? I called admissions at Oxford and they said it would not hinder my chances, but is this just the official line or is it actually true? Also, having not taken Computing or Philosophy, will this hurt my 'subject enthusiasm and knowledge' in interviews (if I get that far) for PPE or CompSci?

Anyone?
Reply 2
Hey i was in a similar situation too and i am doing maths f.maths, chemistry and economics with and EPQ and hopefully do maths at COWI.

If the said it wouldnt hinder your chances then I think you'll be fine. You can easily show your enthusiasm with your personal statement, interview and with the EPQ. But im not an expert. It seems to me like youre leaning towards the PPE/ Econ side? If you want you could drop physics for history or something idk. But if they made it clear it doesnt matter then i think you may be overthinking it!
Original post by datboii
Hey i was in a similar situation too and i am doing maths f.maths, chemistry and economics with and EPQ and hopefully do maths at COWI.

If the said it wouldnt hinder your chances then I think you'll be fine. You can easily show your enthusiasm with your personal statement, interview and with the EPQ. But im not an expert. It seems to me like youre leaning towards the PPE/ Econ side? If you want you could drop physics for history or something idk. But if they made it clear it doesnt matter then i think you may be overthinking it!

I dropped History at GCSE (I was good at it, but had too many options...) so it's really Philosophy vs Physics, and all that they entail. I love both subjects - there are about 6 or 7 subjects I would love to do at A-level - so it's becoming more of a 'tactics' thing. Since I can't really differentiate between subjects I haven't studied past GCSE, I want to keep the most doors open... If I do Physics, I'll be a little sad I didn't do Philosophy. If I do Philosophy, I'll feel a little sad I didn't do Physics. But that's life I guess haha

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 4
I dropped History at GCSE (I was good at it, but had too many options...) so it's really Philosophy vs Physics, and all that they entail. I love both subjects - there are about 6 or 7 subjects I would love to do at A-level - so it's becoming more of a 'tactics' thing. Since I can't really differentiate between subjects I haven't studied past GCSE, I want to keep the most doors open... If I do Physics, I'll be a little sad I didn't do Philosophy. If I do Philosophy, I'll feel a little sad I didn't do Physics. But that's life I guess haha

Thanks for your reply.

I know a mate who wants to do PPE at oxford and didnt choose Philosophy but he did choose more writing subjects. Personally i would say to stick with Physics because it is more helpful in case you want to do Econ/Compsci but again im not completely sure if its as clear cut as that. what im basically saying is that if its purely a "tactic" thing then youre better off doing physics

Which degree are you most interested in doing?
Original post by datboii
I know a mate who wants to do PPE at oxford and didnt choose Philosophy but he did choose more writing subjects. Personally i would say to stick with Physics because it is more helpful in case you want to do Econ/Compsci but again im not completely sure if its as clear cut as that. what im basically saying is that if its purely a "tactic" thing then youre better off doing physics

Which degree are you most interested in doing?

At the moment, I don't know. I'm slightly swinging towards CompSci, although I was originally thinking more about Econ. It's really a compSci/Econ split, as Physics and Philosophy both work well with Econ. That's why I'm thinking of Physics. Also, it opens up other options. I think taking all 5 would be a mistake, as much as I'd like to...

For Computer Science, we like to see some evidence that you've thought carefully about your choice, and that you're going to enjoy it. In particular, I like to see some experience of programming: if you don't enjoy programming, then it's better to find that out before starting a CS degree. There are lots of online resources that you can learn coding from.

My understanding is that no academic experience of Philosophy is necessary for any of the Philosophy degrees. However, it's a good idea to read a popular philosophy book, e.g. The Philosophy Gym, to get used to thinking about some of the ideas, and to ensure that you enjoy it.

Gavin

Quick Reply

Latest