The Student Room Group

What A-levels should I take to study law?

I want to do a law degree when I go to university. What A-levels should I pick? I'm thinking of doing maths, chemistry, biology, history, economics or government and politics. Which of these would be best for law?
Original post by grace534
I want to do a law degree when I go to university. What A-levels should I pick? I'm thinking of doing maths, chemistry, biology, history, economics or government and politics. Which of these would be best for law?

History would definitely be good to take as it's an essay subject, which is helpful preparation for a law degree. Government and politics would also be useful. Have you considered taking English Literature? :smile:
Reply 2
If it's possible for you to take a law A-level, that gives you a firm base then focus on essay subjects: history, English lit., Languages can also be very useful.
Economics is quite a prestigious subject as well, although if you will not really like the subject it might be slightly risky to take up at AS level without the help of the base provided by GCSE, or better yet, IGCSE Economics.

It would also allow you to diversify into plenty sub sections of law as well. Essay subject too, of course. It's especially liked (Economics in general) because it needs you to list clear logical arguments, using academic theory, as well as involving a few numbers and some data here and there. You can't go wrong with choosing Economics if you at least slightly enjoy it.

If you really want to take up a science, I'd suggest Physics. It would be prestigious in the form of it involving logic, being academic and being applicable to maths (from what I remember some universities ignore maths requirements if you have a Physics A level or AS level).

Overall, I'd go for gov and poli, economics and history. History and Economics are definitely not the easiest of subjects unless you really like it. If your school has crap History topics as mine did, it's going to be a serious, serious pain to learn all of that stuff by heart. If you want a science, go for physics. If not, go for business studies; the AS is really quite easy, although the A level steps it up considerably. Regardless, it can apply really well with law as it would open up plenty of horizons for you.
Reply 4
History should be a defiantly. But maybe you should do English literature too. And some sixth forms do a A level in Law so depending on which sixth form you are looking to go to, they may offer Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by grace534

Essay-based subjects at A-Level (such as English Lit) are extremely good in preparing you for Law. Therefore, based on your list, Economics and History fit the bill just fine. You could keep your options open by taking Maths or a Science as a third/fourth subject for variety but as far as i know they're not neccessary.

Would you consider maybe doing a social science like psychology or sociology as well? As i've had friends who'd said that these subjects also offer plenty of good prep for Law but its up to to you though as I don't recommend anyone taking subjects that they dont enjoy.
Reply 6
History and Maths are both excellent subjects for Law. Any other traditional subjects would be good choices. There is absolutely no need to take English Literature if you don't want to.

Quick Reply

Latest