The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Perfectly_Imperfect
Would love to know how many people posting here have actually spent an extended period of time in Sweden?

Most/all British media has an agenda to push and so does the Swedish media. Would you like it if I made a judgement on where you live based on crap you read in the Daily Mail?

I have, and it's exactly like it's portrayed unfortunately. I lived in Gothenburg and there are immigrants everywhere. Doesn't feel like Sweden.
Reply 41
The police should give women guns, a bullet is pretty good at stopping unwanted attention.
Reply 42
I love the way the article cites the language barrier as the defining obstacle in this solution's success

Who knew screaming and looks of terror were only intelligible in the West
On another forum last night I saw something I thought I would never see.
A feminist playing down the number of rapes being done to women and claiming the figures are far, far higher than the actual number of rapes due to misleading stats.😱

Free to enter competition....See if you can guess the country she was talking about.
Can someone actually post police reports on the ethnicity of rape offenders?
Original post by KingBradly
In the KSA and Iran women have to cover their heads by law. In the KSA women must also have a male guardian when they leave the home, and they cannot drive. They've only just been allowed to vote. I'm aware some of the ME is far more liberal than this, but it's not saying much. Although women who wear veils may be respected, women who don't, or even worse women who dress provacatively, are generally viewed as whores who shouldn't be respected at all. I've spent a lot of time speaking to middle eastern men and I know this is how many of them feel, especially those that come from poorer, more isolated backgrounds.

The proof is in the pudding though, and clearly many of these men do think in this way, as we can see from the various mass sexual assaults that have occured.

You're telling me things about a country that I have lived in which I would already know, of course.

My point is that while women in KSA are treated like property with the male guardianship laws, I would not say that other Middle Eastern women are viewed as "vessels to carry babies" (though Yemen may be worse than KSA). Much of the time they are not viewed as equal to men, yes, or people will say that they are "different" so have a "different roles in society". That being said, in many Middle Eastern countries they are well-educated, and in most Persian Gulf countries they are well-represented in the workforce (close to 50% or more) and increasing representation in Parliament. So to say they are viewed as baby carrying vessels is insulting to the women who have worked hard for the rights that they have now compared to a few decades ago and continue to fight for.

I am aware of this mentality among some men from the Middle East, it also exists in India and at least a few African countries. But nobody is naturally misogynistic; the reason for their way of thinking is what they were "taught" by their communities, families, friends and so forth, hence a form of "education". And education can be reversed by countering a person's worldview through open dialogue and well presented arguments. My parents, for an example were closed-minded religious people when I was a child. They have come a very long way since then.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheTechN1304
I have, and it's exactly like it's portrayed unfortunately. I lived in Gothenburg and there are immigrants everywhere. Doesn't feel like Sweden.

What "feels like Sweden", in your opinion?
Original post by Fenice
I love the way the article cites the language barrier as the defining obstacle in this solution's success

Who knew screaming and looks of terror were only intelligible in the West

This is a Breitbart article, that website has often twisted or exaggerated facts. I wouldn't be surprised if half of this wasn't true.
Original post by physicsphysics91
A Swedish police report released last month noted that the country had the worst rates of sexual violence against women in Europe. The report acknowledged migrants were responsible for the bulk of the problem but the police were accused of making excuses for the perpetrators.

The press release announced that police intend to equip young women with wristbands with the slogan “don’t touch me”. This will happen over the summer, at festivals and other events for young people. “By wearing these wristbands,” Sweden’s police chief said, “young women will be able to make a stand”.

It is unclear how effective the wristbands, which read “don’t touch me” in Swedish, will be in preventing attacks, as the majority of sex attack perpetrators are thought to be recent migrants who are unlikely to be able to read them.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/30/wristbands-stop-sex-attacks/

Thoughts?[/QBEYON
LMAOOOOOOO

LOL AT SWEDEN. COUNTRY IS SERIOUSLY BEYOND HELP NOW

Posted from TSR Mobile
This article could have easily appeared in the Onion.
Reply 50
give em a knife and if a someone tries to rape them they can shank em up
Original post by TheTechN1304

Interesting.

I lived in Stockholm and it was nothing like it was portrayed. Even in places like Rinkeby
Original post by caravaggio2
On another forum last night I saw something I thought I would never see.
A feminist playing down the number of rapes being done to women and claiming the figures are far, far higher than the actual number of rapes due to misleading stats.😱

Free to enter competition....See if you can guess the country she was talking about.

That's because it's true. Sweden counts rape differently to other countries.

"In Sweden there has been this ambition explicitly to record every case of sexual violence separately, to make it visible in the statistics," she says.
"So, for instance, when a woman comes to the police and she says my husband or my fiance raped me almost every day during the last year, the police have to record each of these events, which might be more than 300 events. In many other countries it would just be one record - one victim, one type of crime, one record."

"But the major explanation is partly that people go to the police more often, but also the fact that in 2005 there has been reform in the sex crime legislation, which made the legal definition of rape much wider than before."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19592372
As if a bloody piece of elasticated rubber will prevent a potential sex offender from raping a woman. Wouldn't it be better to just crack down on them rather than doing this stupid stunt? We all bang on about the state of some countries like Britain, France, and Germany, but Sweden is the country with a problem of its own that we also have to worry about.
Original post by WBZ144
Sweden's rape reporting system differs from that of other countries, the claims that it is the "rape capital of Europe" has already been debunked, as have the claims that rapes and sexual assaults in Sweden and Norway all come from migrants (or almost all).

Victims and potential victims of sexual assault shouldn't be the ones to "fight it". The rules of consent should be taught thoroughly from the age when sex education is taught and harsher penalties for convicted rapists (here it can be as few as 3 years for "non-serious rape":wink:.

76% of rapes committed by 2% Muslim male population in Sweden.
Original post by Willdono
76% of rapes committed by 2% Muslim male population in Sweden.

Why do the right-wing like to repeat stories that have been debunked so many times, several years later?
Original post by WBZ144
Why do the right-wing like to repeat stories that have been debunked so many times, several years later?

https://muslimstatistics.wordpress.com/2015/03/19/sweden-77-6-percent-of-all-rapes-in-the-country-committed-by-muslim-males-making-up-2-percent-of-population/

Debunked by who sorry?

A liberal saying the news article is "biased" or "untrue" isn't debunking
Original post by Adamski191
As if a bloody piece of elasticated rubber will prevent a potential sex offender from raping a woman. Wouldn't it be better to just crack down on them rather than doing this stupid stunt? We all bang on about the state of some countries like Britain, France, and Germany, but Sweden is the country with a problem of its own that we also have to worry about.

Crack down how? They're flowing into Sweden unchecked.
Original post by physicsphysics91
Crack down how? They're flowing into Sweden unchecked.

I mean crack down on the organised gangs that are going around and raping people, though I do agree it's a problem that people are able to just get into a country without being checked. Complete border checks should be applied to every country, people, and even objects. Better safe than sorry...
I was nearly mugged but I had my DON'T MUG ME t-shirt on so I was safe

Latest

Trending

Trending