The Student Room Group

Asked a million times... but here goes!

Hi guys,

I'm Sam, 24 years old and aspire to attain a good Psychology BSc in the hopes of acceptance on a Psychology doctorate. To achieve that (1 in 6) goal, I've got a lot of work ahead of me!

I have recently (passed 3 or 4 months) started self teaching A-level Psychology, Biology and Sociology. I'm finding the process both extremely enjoyable and incredibly draining.

My question; how many hours, from your experience, would you guys recommend I spend studying per day? Regardless of subject.

Without the guidance of a regimented 6th form/college structure, this questions answer has felt hard to come by. I hear the '700 hours a subject' phrase thrown around but that would vary heavily between subjects and students.

Thanks guys, I appreciate any input at this early stage,

Sam.
Reply 1
15 hours a week
Do the amount of time which is best for you. If you do too much, you won't retain as much information.
Reply 3
A little lower than I'd have thought! Thanks for the input, Glib.
Reply 4
Original post by computationchive
Do the amount of time which is best for you. If you do too much, you won't retain as much information.

I completely agree - I suppose I'm really asking for what worked for the majority and where I stand in comparison.

Thanks buddy.
Original post by SamGrinds
I completely agree - I suppose I'm really asking for what worked for the majority and where I stand in comparison.

Thanks buddy.

No problem!

For me I have 4.5 hours worth of lessons per subject and then do about 1-2 hours outside of lesson per subject. So that would translate to a total of 19.5 hours per week. :smile:
Reply 6
Interesting - I'm currently studying for around 20 hours per week. In comparison to your peers, would you suggest that you're working above or below the average?

Thanks again!
Original post by SamGrinds
Interesting - I'm currently studying for around 20 hours per week. In comparison to your peers, would you suggest that you're working above or below the average?

Thanks again!

I would say this is pretty average and quite sustainable. When it's the lead up to exams (april/may) I usually increase the number of hours spent outside lesson per subject to 4/5 per week. :smile:
Reply 8
Awesome; that gives me something to go by. I think it'll be a case of pushing myself to the limit, finding that critical-mass and aiming to meet it consecutively.
Exceeding it will, like you say, lead to less retention. Not meeting it will be cheating myself out of extra learning.

Quick Reply

Latest