The Student Room Group

Moving Abroad

Does anyone know how I could move abroad to Canada at the age of 16?
Apply for Working Visa? You will need a Job there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by KazuoTakeda
Apply for Working Visa? You will need a Job there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I not go th
Reply 3
Can I not go there at 16 to do further studies then apply for a working visa ?
What about your parents?
You should still be in school
Do you have any links with Canada that means they would let you migrate there?
You can get a student visa, I believe it's pretty easy for British citizens, but you can't get a loan from the Britsh or Canadian governments so you would have to fund this yourself or with a loan that you have to pay back immediately. I believe you can work for up to 20 hours a week on a student visa. Typically this is only for university, I can't imagine it'd be easy to move to Canada at 16 and go into a Canadian school without your parents,

Another option is through a two-year working holiday programme that the UK have with Canada. However there are only two openings a year for 5000 places and usually about 15000 people apply, so I wouldn't bet on it. You would still have to wait until you're 18.

Other than that it's pretty difficult to get to Canada without a degree and a job offer, unless if you marry a Canadian or you have family in Canada then it could be a bit easier. I would do your further education in the UK then look at your options in two years time. I would suggest looking at the CIC website - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
What about your parents?
You should still be in school
Do you have any links with Canada that means they would let you migrate there?

Well I do have family there and I am trying to get a job there at 16
Reply 7
Original post by Bonoahx
You can get a student visa, I believe it's pretty easy for British citizens, but you can't get a loan from the Britsh or Canadian governments so you would have to fund this yourself or with a loan that you have to pay back immediately. I believe you can work for up to 20 hours a week on a student visa. Typically this is only for university, I can't imagine it'd be easy to move to Canada at 16 and go into a Canadian school without your parents,

Another option is through a two-year working holiday programme that the UK have with Canada. However there are only two openings a year for 5000 places and usually about 15000 people apply, so I wouldn't bet on it. You would still have to wait until you're 18.

Other than that it's pretty difficult to get to Canada without a degree and a job offer, unless if you marry a Canadian or you have family in Canada then it could be a bit easier. I would do your further education in the UK then look at your options in two years time. I would suggest looking at the CIC website - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Well I do have family there and if I was to get a student visa and work there for 2 years at the age of 16 would I be able to go to uni there ?
Original post by Aman7
Well I do have family there and I am trying to get a job there at 16

What do your parents think about it?
I wouldnt rate your chances. You arent old enough and you dont have skills.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aman7
Well I do have family there and if I was to get a student visa and work there for 2 years at the age of 16 would I be able to go to uni there ?

I'm not an immigration lawyer, I did do some research some time ago but I decided studying for a degree in the UK and if I wanted to go abroad after that was the best option. So don't take what I'm saying as fact.

What kind of family do you have in Canada? If you have parents living in Canada they can sponsor you, otherwise you'd have to look at this page - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp, and see if anything applies to you. It takes years to be accepted for one of these though.

You could see if any schools nearby your family can accept you (no idea how likely this is) and then apply for a study visa but it might be too late to do it for September. You would need to apply for another study visa if you want to go to university. If you are saying you're 16 and have the qualifications needed to go to university now then you might be able to speak to a university and see if they will accept you.

Again think about how much the tuition fees and accommodation fees are and research if you can get a loan co-sponsored by a Canadian citizen for it. Is there any particular reason why you want to emigrate at 16 instead of waiting two years? Remember that education in the UK is free when you're 19, you are able to work for as long as you like, and you also have the option of applying for a government student loan in the UK. Regardless of what you may have heard the standard of education in the UK as well as the student loan system is much better than in a lot of other countries so I would think about your options before making a rash decision.
Reply 10
Original post by Bonoahx
I'm not an immigration lawyer, I did do some research some time ago but I decided studying for a degree in the UK and if I wanted to go abroad after that was the best option. So don't take what I'm saying as fact.

What kind of family do you have in Canada? If you have parents living in Canada they can sponsor you, otherwise you'd have to look at this page - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp, and see if anything applies to you. It takes years to be accepted for one of these though.

You could see if any schools nearby your family can accept you (no idea how likely this is) and then apply for a study visa but it might be too late to do it for September. You would need to apply for another study visa if you want to go to university. If you are saying you're 16 and have the qualifications needed to go to university now then you might be able to speak to a university and see if they will accept you.

Again think about how much the tuition fees and accommodation fees are and research if you can get a loan co-sponsored by a Canadian citizen for it. Is there any particular reason why you want to emigrate at 16 instead of waiting two years? Remember that education in the UK is free when you're 19, you are able to work for as long as you like, and you also have the option of applying for a government student loan in the UK. Regardless of what you may have heard the standard of education in the UK as well as the student loan system is much better than in a lot of other countries so I would think about your options before making a rash decision.

Yeah..I'm not sure, maybe I am rushing it. I mainly want to go because my best friend and my girlfriend have had to move their so I really can't wait 2 years although I would want to but I can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending