The Student Room Group

Do you look down on 30+ year olds who work in retail?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don't look down on them but I do feel sorry for them.

Also worried because it may well be where I end up...

Did you get a job in the end or are you still searching? My advise is to throw yourself in, retail is fine so long as you set yourself objectives to prevent you from being a sales assistant after 5 years still.
Original post by cherryred90s
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Do you also look down on fat people who go to the gym?

No as they're doing the opposite of being lazy

It certainly makes your weekly shopping run a lot smoother..

My gf does my shopping, honestly supermarkets make me feel uneasy.
Original post by AsapRocky

I give him credit for trying, and boy did he try
Anyone who looks down on others because of their occupation (long as its legal) is an idiot.
Tbh, its really unfair to do that, especially if theyre graduates. Anyone who's actually gone to uni will tell you your first "job" is usually unpaid experience. What if, while person A can survive with parent funding, take on this unpaid experience and climb the ladder, person B, with no experience, possibly a dependent, needs money from work to survive. Thus are stuck in a cycle of poor jobs without ever getting work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue_Mason
I look down on 30 plus year olds on minimum wage.
An adult cannot survive on a minimum wage

Your profile picture is so appropriate.
Original post by tsukurutazaki
Your profile picture is so appropriate.

I wanted him to become pm
How can someone look down on people doing an honest job to put food on their table? Regardless of whether they could have done better in life or not, who are we to judge? Life is too unpredictable to be so precious about something so meaningless.
No as they're doing the opposite of being lazy

The people who work in retail for a living are also doing the opposite of being lazy yet you still look down upon them, hypocrite.

My gf does my shopping, honestly supermarkets make me feel uneasy.

lol so you can't even be bothered to do your own shopping?
The people who work in retail for a living are also doing the opposite of being lazy yet you still look down upon them, hypocrite.

lol so you can't even be bothered to do your own shopping?

I look down on people who have been working in the same entry level jobs for years without any promotion.
I hate shopping,I rather it be delivered to my place.
I am not used to grocery shopping, so going to a supermarket just feels like an unwarranted adventure, you have to navigate through those aisles and to top it off you queue up and hear that annoying beep.
And yet the person who is serving me asks me a stupid about some points card.

I am not used to grocery shopping, so going to a supermarket just feels like an unwarranted adventure, you have to navigate through those aisles and to top it off you queue up and hear that annoying beep.

Wow.
Reply 111
Original post by 0to100
Again I'm not talking about teenagers. Many teenagers claiming or not claiming anything have never worked. And yes. That's what I just said. You get sanctioned for not attending to appts, or not showing you're looking for work, etc. Again what are you arguing? My point is, there are people who work WHILST claiming ALL SORTS of benefits. It's not just one thing for one type of person in one situation. You wanna deny that?

??? You said you need work experience to claim benefit.. This is not true..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people in those jobs have degrees which proves how thick people with degrees are because if you worked hard to get a degree or any other qualifications and paid thousands paying back the loan then what's the point of working in retail, cleaner, carers and other low paid jobs ?
It's because people with degrees have no common sense and many people have told me that too. When ever anyone tells me they have a degree i pretend to be happy for them and say well done but really i'm thinking I could not give a **** and that they are the worst idiots on the planet except the one's who are doctor's, nurse, lawyer, scientist, engineer, etc or work in an office, receptionist and are getting good money but i do understand that they think they are in retail because they could not get a high paid job but that is not true.

But do you know the real reason they can't get a high paid job ? It's because their ****ing idiots, iv'e never met such stupid people in my life.
Because all they have to do is use their brains and go to an agency on the local high street or further away in the city, west end area's.
All they do is complain how they can't get a job but they would be able to if they went to an agency that's what agencies are there for to get people jobs regardless of qualifications.

My male friend who is 22 has a degree in engineering but he's been working as a carer for 4 years and when i tell him about jobs online and Trainee Recruitment jobs or to sign up with an agency on the street he won't do it
I worked at BHS for 3 months for the christmas period but i was not chosen to be given a permanent job, I did'n't realise it then but i got a lucky escape or i would have been stuck there for even longer.
My manager at BHS used to be a manager for the council but just because employees didn't listen to him or do what he asked them to he left the job. He was 25 and the other employees older so they did'nt want any young person telling them what to do. So my manager could not find another job for a long time then he got the job through Reed, not the agency on the high street but the Reed that is a work programme that the job centre force unemployed people to go to.
Reed work programme are the most evil company on the planet who bully people and force them to go for jobs like cleaning, retail, washing dishes all day, etc when people did'nt want those jobs and they forced people with degrees and masters degrees to do those jobs or they'd lose their benefit but they would never try to get anyone good jobs that pay good money in admin , reception, etc.
The female manager was the worst bully she was always arguing with people.
She's been a manager at Reed work programme for 10 years but she left 2 years ago because she was being pressured to leave by Reed for not getting enough people off benefits and into jobs. It was Karma because she was an evil *****
It was a horrible experience going to Reed in Tottenham until she left so i was so glad because she can't bully people anymore but Reed the agency on the high streets are different so don't get it mixed up. It's only Reed the work programme who were employed by the job centre who are an evil company.
All the unemployed people did want jobs but not everyone wants to work as a cleaner or in retail but they were too stupid and lazy to try to get people good jobs.
And one horrible job advisor at the Reed work programme would shout at people every day and argue and boast about her degree and one time she started taunting me and she shouted at me saying," I have got a degree, what qualifications have you got ? "
So I made a complaint about her in a letter and said i don't want her as my advisor anymore because she is not doing the best for me to get me a job. There were other things she was doing that was unprofessional but i won't go into that but anyway she was trying to get me to go for an interview in a care home but just washing dishes all day from 10am to 11pm and it was not shift work, it was for those long hours. I thought i'd get into trouble if i did'nt go.
Who the **** wants to wash dishes all day ? is that a ****ing career ? If you were born in this country no one should do that job, let the immigrants take it but only because they have no choice not because i think that's the only job they should do because no one should do that really, not even immigrants. Anyway i was hoping i would not be offered the job at interview but they chose me. I only lasted 2 days then left and did not care how much trouble i got into. The job was really to wash dishes all day one week then you clean the old pensioner's soiled, poo stained sheets the next week for the whole week. There were people working there who had degrees and when i asked one woman why she's doing this job she got defensive and said she can't find a job and it's better to work there than be unemployed, I did'nt agree but i did not tell her this to make her feel bad about herself. She was doing the job of cleaning the soiled sheets.
Is that why people go to uni to get a degree so they can wash soiled sheets and wash dishes all day ?
I left because there was no way i was going to wash soiled sheets the following week because washing dishes was bad enough. I just wish i had refused to go to the interview the first time. And a man who had recently come to London from America was washing dishes but he left a couple of hours later because he hated that job so much and it was his first dsy in the job.
Anyway back to the story of my manager he went from earning good money as a manager for the council to working at BHS from 9am to 9pm and earning a minimum wage and working such long hours everyday because he said it was the only way to make more money. He has a degree too. But he could have got a high paid job with shorter hours if he had gone to an agency on the street. Reed the work programme who sent him to the interview at BHS could have given him a job on their work programne as a Trainee Recruitment Consultant because sometimes they ask some unemployed people to apply for the job. A few unemployed people have told me that when they were unemployed and sent on a work programme by the job centrre they were asked if they want to apply then offered the job, one advisor told everybody that when she was 40 and had never had a job before but the work programme offered her a job when she was there as an unemployed person so now she's an empolyment advisor which is the same as Trainee recruitment consultant.
So he could have done that job easily and worked his way up as a manager but no one told him about it.

When i was at Asda warehouse as a picker/packer where i had to find customers online orders there were lots of people with degrees complaining how they were lucky to get the job because they could not get anything else but i hated it and always believed i was better than that while those dumb asses thought they were blessed to get that job. While i was there i continued to apply for other jobs but they did'nt. One woman said she has all the qualifications and certificates to work in an office but nobody would employ her because she has no office experience.
I did not want to be rude and say then you should have done voluntary work in an office then you would have experience and be in a better job but i did not say anything.
Again people with degrees got no common sense to know this already

I wish someone had told me when i was 18 that i needed no experience to get a job as a Trainee recruitment consultant then i would never have touched any retail, warehouse, dish washing job or any low paid jobs with a barge pole so that's why i try to tell everyone about recruitment jobs. I used to go to agencies on the high street many years ago but i gave up on them which i should not have done because they seemed useless but the trick is to sign up with many different ones so if one is useless and you still do not have a job you keep trying different ones.
When i was 21 i already had a job in an office but the money was **** and i hated it so i signed up with an agency on the high street and i saw another office job advertised on their window. When i rang up to ask the person who was my advisor at that agency about the job she shouted at me and said, why do you want to earn more money than your already getting ? ( What a stupid question )Then she apologised straight away. I never went back but i did try others but not often plus i was embarrassed i did not have a degree but i should not have been because you do not actually need a degree. Anyone can sign up with an agency but she made me feel bad for trying to get a better job. I was very shy at that age. But i do know that most people who have got degrees just give up on agencies when they do not get them a job quickly or they did not like the advisor but what they should have done was just sign up with as many different agencies as possible and not give up on them because that is why they stay unemployed for long periods and i should not have given up on agencies either but now i do not really even want a job anymore. I' m going to do a music course in college instead. I will still try to look for a part time job that fits in with the college hours but i really could not care less because i have had lots of different jobs. My big mistake was to try different jobs, i should have just stuck to admin jobs only but i hated the receptionist job i had when i was younger but i'm sure other people will like it.

But if you are at uni or college sometimes people have no choice but to work in retail and other low paid jobs because they have to take any crap job just to make ends meet and most good, well paid jobs won't fit in with uni or college hours but it should not be a long term career choice for anyone with any kind of qualifications.
Athough it might come across as snooty but i don't look down on anyone for doing it i just think they should only do it for a short period but go to an agency who will find them a better paid job if you have a degree. Otherwise that degree is wasted.
So anyone on this forum who is looking for a job or wants a better paid job should go to agencies on the street regardless of whether they have qualifications or not but do not go to the crap agencies that specialize in only getting people low paid, zero hour contracts and **** jobs like emptying envelopes which my friend just got last week. She already hates it after one week. She does not have a degree so thinks she has to take crap jobs because of that and because she has no confidence but won't apply for good jobs like Trainee recruitment, admin, reception jobs, etc

Would you prefer a job emptying envelopes or Trainee recruitment consultant ?
When she told me that she got envelope job last week Monday i had a right go at her because she is going backwards in life by taking that job. I would understand if she enjoyed doing it but she's already said she's going to look for another job because it gives her backache and she hates it but she has to stick it out long enough to get a reference because she has not worked for many years. I used to do that job when i was younger and it was full of immigrants who all talk in their own language and won't speak English. I was born here but I felt like i was the bloody immigrant. I would never touch that job again even if i was desperate and could not get anything else. I have done a lot of stupid things like taking crap jobs because i did not know any better but I have always told her about good, well paid jobs or to go back to college but she refuses to apply for any of them.

If anyone goes to an agency go to a good one not the crap one's that's full of immigrants because those type of agencies will only get you low paid jobs and zero hour contracts because that is what is known as slave labour jobs.
Steer clear of agencies that advertise jobs filling or emptying envelopes.

Anyone who does not have Admin or Reception experience should do voluntary work in those fields then you can apply for higher paid jobs in good agencies.
But you do not need any work experience to apply for Trainee recruitment as most of them take anyone straight out of uni.

I hope you all enjoyed reading my book, lol
Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I actually do, even those who work in McDonald's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natbio
*rolls eyes*
paedophiles, terrorists,murderers, child abusers etc.* yes work away look down them if you please, but looking down on others because of their status, their job, their education, how much money they do or do not make -the ordinary person in the street or in this case stacking the supermarket shelves, is pathetic.

So just to confirm you can look down on people who falsely accuse people of rape too?
I look down on people who have been working in the same entry level jobs for years without any promotion.

How would you even know how long they've been working for? You said that you look down on people who stack shelves. Well, In order to be promoted, you have to start from the bottom, and If they can afford to support themselves, why are you passing judgement?

I hate shopping,I rather it be delivered to my place.

If it wasn't for the people you look down on, shopping would be far more stressful than what you moan about now.

By the way, What do you do for work ?
Original post by maggie43
Yeah I actually do, even those who work in McDonald's

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do know that a lot of people work in places like McDonald's in order to help fund university?
Reply 117
You do know that a lot of people work in places like McDonald's in order to help fund university?

We are talking 30 year olds no longer in education tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you even know how long they've been working for? You said that you look down on people who stack shelves. Well, In order to be promoted, you have to start from the bottom, and If they can afford to support themselves, why are you passing judgement?

If it wasn't for the people you look down on, shopping would be far more stressful than what you moan about now.

By the way, What do you do for work ?

Because I have met people who have been working the same entry level positions for years with no promotion.
Because stacking shelves is something I expect a person who is doing their a levels to be doing and when I see someone in their mid thirties doing it, I am thinking come on, you need to fix up. And I understand but you cannot years working the same position.
I currently work as a project manager for a private charity
We are talking 30 year olds no longer in education tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

University has no upper age limit. There are many mature students...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending