The Student Room Group

IBD Summer Internship Advice

So I'm done with first year from a target uni and plan on applying for IBD summer internships next academic year. I have no prior spring week internships and come from a non finance background (engineering).

My question is basically for those of you that have some experience with these applications, what would you advice someone like me to do this summer to improve my application?
So for example should I be learning valuation techniques, modelling, etc. A bit clueless.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Original post by sosasays
So I'm done with first year from a target uni and plan on applying for IBD summer internships next academic year. I have no prior spring week internships and come from a non finance background (engineering).

My question is basically for those of you that have some experience with these applications, what would you advice someone like me to do this summer to improve my application?
So for example should I be learning valuation techniques, modelling, etc. A bit clueless.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Learn all the technicals of IBD, i.e. valuation, modelling, principals of M&A etc. Improve your commercial awareness so that if they ask you about something in the news, markets or a recent merger you have something to say. Think about what you're going to answer to competency questions, i.e. summarise your experiences and think about how they show your team working skills for example. Prepare all your cover letters in advance and tailor them to each bank. Try and get some relevant work experience by contacting firms in your local area, accounting firms tend to have stuff available.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Learn all the technicals of IBD, i.e. valuation, modelling, principals of M&A etc. Improve your commercial awareness so that if they ask you about something in the news, markets or a recent merger you have something to say. Think about what you're going to answer to competency questions, i.e. summarise your experiences and think about how they show your team working skills for example. Prepare all your cover letters in advance and tailor them to each bank. Try and get some relevant work experience by contacting firms in your local area, accounting firms tend to have stuff available.

Seconded, solid advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Terry Tibbs

Thank you!! I found this very informative. Currently I'm volunteering with an NGO in Mexico and have some relevant work experience lined up for when I get back. Please do you know of any resources that would be useful for learning the technicals? Cheers
Original post by sosasays
Thank you!! I found this very informative. Currently I'm volunteering with an NGO in Mexico and have some relevant work experience lined up for when I get back. Please do you know of any resources that would be useful for learning the technicals? Cheers

Macabus, asimplemodel, WSO guides, breaking into wall street etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Princepieman
Macabus, asimplemodel, WSO guides, breaking into wall street etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers mate! I appreciate the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending