The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Playmaker#10
The quote is from the European agency of fundamental rights, linked up to an article by the Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-and-denmark-have-highest-number-of-sexual-assaults-in-europe-a6800901.html

The article also linked us to the research done by Gatestone institute which called Sweden the rape capital of the west according to their findings and data so actually open the article I provide and read it before saying there aren't any stats.

It was the dramatic increase in immigration from Syria, Somalia and other muslim countries that made Sweden's rape rate go up by over 300%, how hard is that to understand?

Forty years after the Swedish parliament unanimously decided to change the formerly homogenous Sweden into a multicultural country, violent crime has increased by 300% and rapes by 1,472%. Sweden is now number two on the list of rape countries, surpassed only by Lesotho in Southern Africa.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5195/sweden-rape#.Vo4rZG73Gxk.twitter

Where did I deny that Sweden has higher rape stats than most European countries? It does, however evidence points to the reason for this being the change in the 2005 legislation to make the definition of rape broader, rather than immigration. Gosh, it's like talking to a brick wall. If the UK had the same type of reporting system for rape as Sweden did, the stats would be very similar. So this does not indicate that rape occurs more regularly in Sweden than other European countries, rather it is one of the countries that is the closest to achieving gender equality, according to the Global Equality Index. That is why sexual offences are taken so seriously, and that is why I can't take this Breitbart article seriously.

I asked for stats that most rapists in Sweden are Muslim men, I have been given multiple links, none of which confirms this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Estonia and Latvia have high rape stats and a minuscule amount of Moooselimbs. How is that even possible, since we know that the presence or lack thereof of these Moooselimbs determine rape stats worldwide?
Original post by WBZ144
Estonia and Latvia have high rape stats and a minuscule amount of Moooselimbs. How is that even possible, since we know that the presence or lack thereof of these Moooselimbs determine rape stats worldwide?

Latvia and Estonia are 72 and 56 with rape rates 20 and 10 times lower than Sweden respectively. Can you please suggest otherwise why Estonia and Latvia have high rape stats (because they dont lmao).

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Rape-rate Swedens data is from 2010, so will be higher now.

Furthermore, studies suggest only 20% of rapes are reported in Sweden whereas 80-95% are reported in the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Where did I deny that Sweden has higher rape stats than most European countries? It does, however evidence points to the reason for this being the change in the 2005 legislation to make the definition of rape broader, rather than immigration. Gosh, it's like talking to a brick wall. If the UK had the same type of reporting system for rape as Sweden did, the stats would be very similar. So this does not indicate that rape occurs more regularly in Sweden than other European countries, rather it is one of the countries that is the closest to achieving gender equality, according to the Global Equality Index. That is why sexual offences are taken so seriously, and that is why I can't take this Breitbart article seriously.

I asked for stats that most rapists in Sweden are Muslim men, I have been given multiple links, none of which confirms this.

You seem to not be making any sense at all, your only poor argument is that the definition of rape in sweden was drastically changed in 2005 so the statistics in Sweden would sky-rocket because of this, even though if you actually read the article which I've said for the second time, you would realise that the rapes were still very very high even before 2005, so quit yelling 2005 2005 because that is a terrible strawman argument. Rapes by immigrants primarily from Muslim countries was still high before then.

As part of the evidence Michael Hess presented in court, he made use of whatever statistics existed on immigrant criminality in Sweden before the statistical authorities stopped measuring. Michael Hess tried to find answers to two questions:

Is there a correspondence between the incidence of rape and the number of people with a foreign background in Sweden?

Is there a correspondence between the incidence of rape and some specific group of immigrants in Sweden?

The answer to both questions was an unequivocal Yes. Twenty-one research reports from the 1960s until today are unanimous in their conclusions: Whether or not they measured by the number of convicted rapists or men suspected of rape, men of foreign extraction were represented far more than Swedes. And this greater representation of persons with a foreign background keeps increasing:

1960-1970s 1.2 to 2.6 times as often as Swedes

1980s 2.1 to 4.7 times as often as Swedes

1990s 2.1 to 8.1 times as often as Swedes

Even when adjusted for variables such as age, sex, class and place of residence, the huge discrepancy between immigrants and Swedes remains.

It emerged that in 2002, 85% of those sentenced to at least two years in prison for rape in Svea Hovrätt, a court of appeals, were foreign born or second-generation immigrants.

A 1996 report by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention reached the conclusion that immigrants from North Africa (Algeria, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia) were 23 times as likely to commit rape as Swedish men.

The figures for men from Iraq, Bulgaria and Romania were, respectively, 20, 18 and 18. Men from the rest of Africa were 16 times more prone to commit rape; and men from Iran, Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia, 10 times as prone as Swedish men.Next time actually read the article before replying with the same nonsense response.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by physicsphysics91
Latvia and Estonia are 72 and 56 with rape rates 20 and 10 times lower than Sweden respectively. Can you please suggest otherwise why Estonia and Latvia have high rape stats (because they dont lmao).

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Rape-rate Swedens data is from 2010, so will be higher now.

Furthermore, studies suggest only 20% of rapes are reported in Sweden whereas 80-95% are reported in the UK.

I have already explained why rape stats are high in Sweden, if it falls on deaf ears because some are determined to cling to their warped worldview then that's not my problem.

Having lower rape stats than Sweden /= having low rape stats.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/rwinslow/europe/estonia.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Playmaker#10
You seem to not be making any sense at all, your only poor argument is that the definition of rape in sweden was drastically changed in 2005 so the statistics in Sweden would sky-rocket because of this, even though if you actually read the article which I've said for the second time, you would realise that the rapes were still very very high even before 2005, so quit yelling 2005 2005 because that is a terrible strawman argument. Rapes by immigrants primarily from Muslim countries was still high before then.

As part of the evidence Michael Hess presented in court, he made use of whatever statistics existed on immigrant criminality in Sweden before the statistical authorities stopped measuring. Michael Hess tried to find answers to two questions:

Is there a correspondence between the incidence of rape and the number of people with a foreign background in Sweden?

Is there a correspondence between the incidence of rape and some specific group of immigrants in Sweden?

The answer to both questions was an unequivocal Yes. Twenty-one research reports from the 1960s until today are unanimous in their conclusions: Whether or not they measured by the number of convicted rapists or men suspected of rape, men of foreign extraction were represented far more than Swedes. And this greater representation of persons with a foreign background keeps increasing:

1960-1970s 1.2 to 2.6 times as often as Swedes

1980s 2.1 to 4.7 times as often as Swedes

1990s 2.1 to 8.1 times as often as Swedes

Even when adjusted for variables such as age, sex, class and place of residence, the huge discrepancy between immigrants and Swedes remains.

It emerged that in 2002, 85% of those sentenced to at least two years in prison for rape in Svea Hovrätt, a court of appeals, were foreign born or second-generation immigrants.

A 1996 report by the Swedish National Council for Crime Prevention reached the conclusion that immigrants from North Africa (Algeria, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia) were 23 times as likely to commit rape as Swedish men.

The figures for men from Iraq, Bulgaria and Romania were, respectively, 20, 18 and 18. Men from the rest of Africa were 16 times more prone to commit rape; and men from Iran, Peru, Ecuador and Bolivia, 10 times as prone as Swedish men.Next time actually read the article before replying with the same nonsense response.

And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am well aware that misogyny in certain communities will cause a higher percentage of sexual assault among men of non-Swedish background. That being said, this still does not prove the ludicrous claim that 2% of Muslim men are committing most of the rapes. Time and time again I have asked you to produce stats that specifically prove that Muslim men are responsible for most of the rapes, stats which show the religious backgrounds of the perpetrators. You still have not.

You say that stats were still high before 2005, how did Sweden compare to the rest of Europe before that?

Not to mention that like everywhere else in the world, stranger rape in Sweden is probably one of the more rare forms of rape. The likeliest victims are those who are close to the perpetrators (wives, partners, family members), meaning that women from immigrant communities would be the ones most likely to be victims of sex crimes. It is not a case of Brown brutes waiting in dark alleyways to rape Western women like some try to paint it as. Yet, as always, these women's struggles are overlooked. And even if it was all strangers, that STILL does not prove that they are Muslims.

I am all for deporting convicted sex offenders if they or their children are not citizens, a country must do all it can to keep its citizens safe. I am, however, against hate-mongering based on unsupported claims.

Edit: according to the 2014 European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights survey, Sweden actually ranks below Denmark and Finland in terms of sexual violence. Not to mention that all three countries rank among the highest in the world in terms of gender equality. I really don't buy that it's less safe for women over there than it is here, rather they are doing a better job at tackling sexual violence over there than they are here. FRA also highlights the correlation between gender inequality and unreported rape cases.
http://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra-2014-vaw-survey-main-results-apr14_en.pdf
https://www.bra.se/bra/bra-in-english/home/news-from-bra/archive/news/2011-01-18-how-common-is-rape-in-sweden-compared-to-other-european-countries.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Another think I would like to add is that Sweden has a generally low crime rate if we are looking at nonsexual crimes compared to the rest of the Western world (murder, theft and so forth), yet high rape and sexual assault stats. If you think that the Penal Code and reporting system as less to do with it than your claim that most immigrants are rapists, why are these immigrants not committing nonsexual crimes, when this is never the case in other countries where the crime rate is high among immigrant communities. What makes Sweden special?

To say that sexual assault is higher among immigrant communities in certain countries is one thing, there is truth in that. To say that most immigrant men are sex offenders is another, and is far from the truth.

I don't see the Moooselimb men being over-represented for sex crimes in North America, even though they are supposed to determine rape stats worldwide. In fact, immigrants in North America are less likely to commit crimes than natives. Does that make all or most American men sex offenders? The US does have very high rape stats, mind you.
(edited 7 years ago)
A Swedish police report released last month noted that the country had the worst rates of sexual violence against women in Europe. The report acknowledged migrants were responsible for the bulk of the problem but the police were accused of making excuses for the perpetrators.

The press release announced that police intend to equip young women with wristbands with the slogan “don’t touch me”. This will happen over the summer, at festivals and other events for young people. “By wearing these wristbands,” Sweden’s police chief said, “young women will be able to make a stand”.

It is unclear how effective the wristbands, which read “don’t touch me” in Swedish, will be in preventing attacks, as the majority of sex attack perpetrators are thought to be recent migrants who are unlikely to be able to read them.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/30/wristbands-stop-sex-attacks/

Thoughts?

If this is true, it would imply that the victims of these assaults were at fault for not begging to remain un-assaulted. What country in the world has laws that allow men to sexually assault random women? None. And what are the punishments for men who commit these crimes in their home countries? Very severe I should think.
The role of the police is to enforce the law, not to excuse the criminals.
Reply 88
A new incident in Sweden over this past weekend.

"Migrant gang sexually assault children as young as 12 at festival"
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/685799/Migrant-gang-sexually-assault-children-young-12-festival-Sweden-police

A gang of seven to eight men have been preying on young girls to carry out 23 sex attacks this weekend.Victims at the Putte Festival in Karlstad this weekend, said they were surrounded and then the gang started to grope them.Police officer Per-Arne Eriksson said: “The girls said that a group of seven to eight young guys surround them. They groped their bottoms and breasts and forced their hands inside their cloths.”

Two underage migrants have been arrested but have since been released.Mr Eriksson added: “The two suspects belong to the group of unaccompanied refugee children. They were released because of their young age and sent back to their accommodation. They are under 18 years old.”On Saturday morning police had received 16 complaints of sex crimes and by Sunday they had received another seven, making it a total of 23 reported incidents at the free music festival.

However officials said they expect the number to raise after the event finishes.Police increased their presence at the festival on Saturday evening after they received the first reports, however it did not appear to have halted the assaults. Festival organiser Niclas Lagerstam wrote on Facebook: “We at Putte feel deeply for those who had their festival experience ruined because of sexual assaults.

“Together with the police, stewards, our security officers and others, we work hard to make sure Putte is as safe and secure place as possible.”The sex attacks come after it was revealed Swedish police had covered up a series of assaults at We Are Sthlm festival last year. Girls as young as 11-year-old had been groped and molested by a gang of migrant youths at the Stockholm music gig.

At the time Swedish police apologised and promised to launch an investigation. One outcome of the revelation was an initiative for girls to wear bands with the police’s logo saying “don’t grope”, but the initiative was blasted on social media. One Twitter user wrote: “So if I lose my band, it’s ok to grope?”
probably should have been written in arabic rather than swedish
Reply 90
Original post by Reformed
probably should have been written in arabic rather than swedish
Honestly, it may have been written in some ancient obsolete language as no one reads these wristbands, and certainly the message of this particular one would have zero effect.
https://polisen.se/Aktuellt/Nyheter/2016/Juni/Tafsa-inte--och-polisanmal-om-du-blivit-utsatt/If anyone even bothers to read what this article says then you'd know this had nothing to do with migrants and doesn't even mention migrants, it talks about people being groped and raped at festivals. In fact it may have stated that you're more likely to be raped by a friend and I say may because I had to use Google translate which gave me a clear translation throughout most of the article.http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/30/wristbands-stop-sex-attacks/ This article is blatant propaganda and is ridiculous drivel.
Reply 92
Original post by animus1
A new incident in Sweden over this past weekend.

"Migrant gang sexually assault children as young as 12 at festival"
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/685799/Migrant-gang-sexually-assault-children-young-12-festival-Sweden-police

It's bad enough this happens in the first place, but I must also ask, where the hell were the Swedish men when all this was going on? I refuse to believe that in a crowded festival, none of them noticed that gangs of "foreign looking" youths were roaming around, openly harrassing and molesting dozens of girls. Are they so cucked and emasculated that they won't step in and defend a woman being molested before their very eyes? I really do fear that is the case now.

I long for the day Swedish men tap into those Viking genes and get ****ing angry about what is happening in their country. I'm ****ing angry, and I'm not even Swedish.
Original post by ATW1
It's sad that the Sweden that was once admired has come to this, but they only have themselves to blame.
Predicted to become a third world country by 2030.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Felt sick to my teeth reading this.How stupid can the Swedish police get? They should be giving out pepper spray or something!
Its not the Swedish Police alone. Its a left wing agenda thats forcing the police to behave in this ridiculous way, exactly the same as the same agenda that allowed police and politicians in this country to turn a blind eye to the systematic abuse of thousands in Rotherham.
Original post by WBZ144
If the UK counted multiple rapes perpetrated by the same individual, on the same victim even when it happened during the same night, do you think that rape stats wouldn't soar through the roof?
What the **** has this got to do with anything? Each incident should be reported separately because if a woman is raped 30 times by the same man, then it is a gross failure of the system, if it was brought to their attention earlier. If a woman is raped 30 times by her husband then it should be reported as 30 SEPARATE incidents because that is what it is. It should not be classed as one event. As for the rape stats in the UK skyrocketing, yes they probably would, and I'd bet you'd also find a large proportion of those incidents would be from repeated marital rapes from certain demographics within society, as well as nonconsensual sex from drunk young men who partake in a disgusting lad culture.You liberals dislike the way Sweden reports the crimes because it highlights the sheer scale of the problem in actual numbers according to each incident so it of course makes it much more difficult for you to dismiss multiple rapes as just one case. Utterly disgusting.
Original post by welshiee
What the **** has this got to do with anything? Each incident should be reported separately because if a woman is raped 30 times by the same man, then it is a gross failure of the system, if it was brought to their attention earlier. If a woman is raped 30 times by her husband then it should be reported as 30 SEPARATE incidents because that is what it is. It should not be classed as one event. As for the rape stats in the UK skyrocketing, yes they probably would, and I'd bet you'd also find a large proportion of those incidents would be from repeated marital rapes from certain demographics within society, as well as nonconsensual sex from drunk young men who partake in a disgusting lad culture.You liberals dislike the way Sweden reports the crimes because it highlights the sheer scale of the problem in actual numbers according to each incident so it of course makes it much more difficult for you to dismiss multiple rapes as just one case. Utterly disgusting.

How exactly was I dismissing them? Instead of emotional, knee-jerk responses you could at least read my posts properly before commenting. I completely agree with the Swedish rape reporting system, I was simply refuting the claims that women are more likely to be raped in Sweden than in other European countries and that Sweden is somehow less safe for women than it is here.
Original post by WBZ144
How exactly was I dismissing them? Instead of emotional, knee-jerk responses you could at least read my posts properly before commenting. I completely agree with the Swedish rape reporting system, I was simply refuting the claims that women are more likely to be raped in Sweden than in other European countries and that Sweden is somehow less safe for women than it is here.

I did read your comments and so far you've provided no evidence for any of the claims you've made.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5195/sweden-rape
A Swedish police report released last month noted that the country had the worst rates of sexual violence against women in Europe. The report acknowledged migrants were responsible for the bulk of the problem but the police were accused of making excuses for the perpetrators.

The press release announced that police intend to equip young women with wristbands with the slogan “don’t touch me”. This will happen over the summer, at festivals and other events for young people. “By wearing these wristbands,” Sweden’s police chief said, “young women will be able to make a stand”.

It is unclear how effective the wristbands, which read “don’t touch me” in Swedish, will be in preventing attacks, as the majority of sex attack perpetrators are thought to be recent migrants who are unlikely to be able to read them.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/30/wristbands-stop-sex-attacks/

Thoughts?

lol why do you read the breitbart and daily mail and put those reports on this forum? You're doing a better job derailing this forum than me
Because who needs to stop non-migrant sex assaults?

Latest

Trending

Trending