The Student Room Group

Austria warns it will LEAVE EU if Turkey wins controversial Brussels bid

Far-right party leader Norbert Hofer said Turkey joining the bloc could be the game changer that forces Austrians to call for an EU referendum in a bid to break away.

He said: “I believe that people are able to learn, that political structures are able to develop, and that Austria will contribute to making Europe better.

“There is one exception, however, that is if the EU decides to let Turkey join the Union. Austrians will have to be asked whether they want this.”

His remarks come amid fresh discussions between Turkey and EU bigwigs after Ankara demanded an acceleration on its application in return for taking back migrants seeking asylum in Europe.

Read More:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/685612/Austria-leave-EU-Turkey-member-bid-Brussels-European-Union
Reply 1
This thread is ABSOLUTE pish.
Reply 2
Okay but once again this is NOT the current leader of Austria at all and a far-right wing political party leader saying this is not even remotely newsworthy.

The far right hate the EU? Shocker.
TheCryingRemain DESTROYS TSR with yet another spammy thread with a clickbait title with RANDOM CAPS about how Person X says country Y will DO SOMETHING TO THE EU.
Original post by Plagioclase
TheCryingRemain DESTROYS TSR with yet another spammy thread with a clickbait title with RANDOM CAPS about how Person X says country Y will DO SOMETHING TO THE EU.

Actually I was just copying the titles off the news websites
Reply 5
Original post by Inexorably
Okay but once again this is NOT the current leader of Austria at all and a far-right wing political party leader saying this is not even remotely newsworthy.

The far right hate the EU? Shocker.

Original post by Plagioclase

He's still in the running for President after an Austrian court invalidated the result.
Original post by TheCryingRemain
Actually I was just copying the titles off the news websites

You don't need to make a new thread on TSR whenever the Express publishes a new article though...
Original post by Inexorably

The result of the recent knife-edge presidential election (in which Hofer was the losing candidate), was recently nullified by a judge though. :holmes: There's going to be a re-run, if I remember rightly, and he could win this time.
Reply 8
Original post by Fenice
He's still in the running for President after an Austrian court invalidated the result.

Original post by Hydeman
The result of the recent knife-edge presidential election (in which Hofer was the losing candidate), was recently nullified by a judge though. :holmes: There's going to be a re-run, if I remember rightly, and he could win this time.

I was aware when I posted my message, but as he stands he is not the leader so anything he says right now related to the future of Austria in terms of its validity is depending on the ... re-election... (is there a term for when you need to redo an election because of fraud lmao?)

To paraphrase Dr Malcolm, letting Turkey join the EU or even be given movement visas is the one of the worst ideas in the long, sad history of bad ideas..
Seems like a far right politician trying to whip up the hysterical nationalists masses to get EU exit vote.

Turkey has only agreed to 3/33 Steps to join the EU in 15 years. Germany doesn't want them.

If this guy actually represents "Austria" then he could veto the application anyway.

Don't let facts get in your way though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Turkey will never join the EU in my opinion.
If it does I am off to New Zealand
This is like Jeremy Corbyn saying the UK will pull out of NATO unless Israel are expelled from the Eurovision Song Contest

Quick Reply

Latest