The Student Room Group

Any mature students with young children?

Hi i am starting bsc psychology in sept 16. I have an unconditional offer which i have accepted. However i have two young children (6 and 2) and am a little unsure how to prepare their childcare without any insight into how many hours a week i will be in uni? Anyone able to help or share their stories? Or anyone able to point me in the direction to speak to psychology students that might know the course structure from previous years? Thanks in advance katie x
Have you tried contacting the university? I'm sure they could give you an overview what the roster might look like or an example of a roster from the previous months. Good luck with your degree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm in the same boat - Starting Uni in Sept with 3 children 10 and under and another on the way (!)
I am trying to get hold of my Uni to find out as much as I can to be able to book my childcare, as I can't book full time then cancel what I don't need. Fingers crossed they will be able to give a heads up, but I am guessing it's very dependant on what units you chose (if this applies) which won't be until you start :frown:
It's quite stressful because we have to be super organised well in advance, we can't just rock up at Freshers Week :biggrin:
I managed two years of college though so it can be done.
I'm an Audiology student and have two young children also. I rely heavily on my partner, who works part time nearer to where we live, as well as my parents.

You should be able to ask your uni for a timetable to plan in advance for childcare. The time tables themselves can vary week to week for many courses and is likely to change in the second semester.

As simple as it sounds, It's also a good idea to count the amount of traveling time to and from the university (literally from your front door to the classroom) particularly if you will be using public transport as that will give you a good idea of how much time you can dedicate towards childcare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 3 children and due to start 2nd year. In first year, I put youngest who was 2 at the time in to nursery full time and claimed some of the costs back from student finance childcare grant which also covered breakfast club and after school club for my 5 and 7 year olds. I didn't always need that extra time but having it there to fall back on was useful as it relieved my time restraints a little and was useful for deadlines as I was able to get more work done.
If you are doing a full time course then it's better to assume you'll need full time childcare, SF pay about 85% of the costs in most cases anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
The childcare grant is like gold dust, I was refused despite having three children, fourth on the way and my husband earning 17,000 last year.
Reply 6
I didnt qualify for the Child Care Grant either :frown:
Reply 7
I am in same situation, I have contacted the university course tutors who have advised that they can't advise on contact hours, timings or hours this info will be available during freshens week. Luckily the nursery have completed the paperwork for maximum hours, which can be amended
Hi I'm studying psychology in September too! I've got an 8 month old who will be in nursery near our house. Thankfully the childcare grant will pay for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hiya,

I start my 4 year course next month and I have a 10, 8 and 4 year old. They'll all be in full time education - which helps me a bit!

I already have my time table and I'm in the full 5 days, but I don't start before 11 and only one day I finish at 3. So childcare looks quite minimal for me.

All you can do is either contact your university for advice on childcare or wait for your induction day and see how your timetable pans out.

If you or your partner work, they'll probably expect you to gain childcare help from Tax Credits.
Reply 10
I have just finished my degree and had the same problem as many of you. I found that university dont often change their timetables year to year. If you go on the unis facebook fresher page you can often get timetabling advice from the other students.
Its not perfect but can give you a good idea of the hours or days you will need to attend.
Original post by Emizi
Hiya,

I start my 4 year course next month and I have a 10, 8 and 4 year old. They'll all be in full time education - which helps me a bit!

I already have my time table and I'm in the full 5 days, but I don't start before 11 and only one day I finish at 3. So childcare looks quite minimal for me.

All you can do is either contact your university for advice on childcare or wait for your induction day and see how your timetable pans out.

If you or your partner work, they'll probably expect you to gain childcare help from Tax Credits.

Hi what course are you doing. I think I'm in the same one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Studentmama
Hi what course are you doing. I think I'm in the same one

Posted from TSR Mobile

History, Sociology and Professional Education (Secondary) at University of Stirling :smile:.
Quick interjection re:childcare grants. You can't get the childcare element of Tax Credits and the grant simultaneously. I think if you have a job and are eligible (or an eligible partner who gets the payments) they won't give you the grant. You can call SFE and explain you would prefer the grant and they will arrange the cancellation of Tax Credits.
I'm not a mature student, but I have an 8 month old who I had in my second year :-)
Reply 15
I have registered to do Open Uni next Feb and have a wild toddler to contend with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I hope student funding childcare grant covers my 2 year old. She'll be in nursery full time as I'm in every day and its in Wales so pay for half days regardless of the hours in. Still will have to find £70 a week even if I get full funding. Then I have a year aboard in Year 3, so not sure how that will work out. But hours really depend on the course. A mate of mine does 8 hours in uni another does more or less a full day. The 8 hour guy has a lot of self study though.
Yup: I started a 2 yr Masters, sat my first year exams when 7 months pregnant, then went back to complete my second year with a newborn.

With hindsight, I've no idea how I managed it (with 2 other kids under 10), specially with no grandparents within a 200 mile radius.

If you really want something, you just do what it takes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Katie killahena
Hi i am starting bsc psychology in sept 16. I have an unconditional offer which i have accepted. However i have two young children (6 and 2) and am a little unsure how to prepare their childcare without any insight into how many hours a week i will be in uni? Anyone able to help or share their stories? Or anyone able to point me in the direction to speak to psychology students that might know the course structure from previous years? Thanks in advance katie x

I do psychology, and I was in about 10 hours a week in my first year. That was over 3 days, but obviously this will depend on which uni you are attending.

I would check to see if your uni has a childcare creche, playgroup etc at alot of unis there are cheap childcare services available for students to use. Its worth noting that they will be so cheap because they are used in a large part for students in childcare based courses to get work experience.
Reply 19
does anyone do Nursing and being single mum? How do you manage unocial hours etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending