The Student Room Group

yay or nay- WINDOWS 10- IS IT WORTH DOWNLOADING?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thutmose-III
It gets rid of that ludicrous apps screen they implemented to make Windows seem more like a tablet or phone. I've also found that despite being a major upgrade it actually runs much more smoothly

It's still there but mercifully as an option.
I upgraded from Windows 8.1 today and my laptop is a little slower for some reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
My advice would depend on which OS you are currently on.

If you're on Windows 7, stay on Windows 7.

If you're on Windows 8.1 or 8, upgrade to 10.

I've upgraded our Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10 and it is much better.

However, in regards to my newest computer, which has Windows 10 preinstalled, I decided to dual boot with Windows 7 for compatibility reasons.
Yes, it's worth it. The security thing isn't true; Windows 10 is more secore than any previous version - and the update coming next month is going to be even more secure.

That said, if you really want to not have it, the free offer expires at the end of the month, and it will go away forever.

I would urge you to just get it done, though: it's better for most things, and the compatibility problems only really happen on really old machines that can't handle it properly. It's faster, and the Universal app platform is at the beginning of getting pretty big an impressive. And once you've got it, free upgrades on that installation for life. Bit of a no-brainer.
Reply 24
Windows 10 boots much faster than windows 7.
Yay, definitely yay. With the exception of having old special purpose software you need that may not be compatible, there's no reason not to install.

Original post by Thutmose-III
Absolutely; Windows 10 is much better. It returns to the traditional windows set-up of a task bar and windows button in the lower left-hand corner.

It gets rid of that ludicrous apps screen they implemented to make Windows seem more like a tablet or phone. I've also found that despite being a major upgrade it actually runs much more smoothly

It's much less resource intensive then Windows 7 and 8/8.1, which was very pleasantly surprising
Original post by Zargabaath
Yay, definitely yay. With the exception of having old special purpose software you need that may not be compatible, there's no reason not to install.

It's much less resource intensive then Windows 7 and 8/8.1, which was very pleasantly surprising

It does, however, require more graphics thanWindows 7.

I have a HP laptop that is dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, and I found out that some games that I have, wouldn't load on Windows 10, or wouldn't play in fullscreen mode, due to graphics issues.

Those same games ran fine in windows 7 without any issues.
Original post by spotify95
It does, however, require more graphics thanWindows 7.

I have a HP laptop that is dual boot windows 7 and windows 10, and I found out that some games that I have, wouldn't load on Windows 10, or wouldn't play in fullscreen mode, due to graphics issues.

Those same games ran fine in windows 7 without any issues.

Are you sure that's not due with program/ driver compatibility issues? I don't know why one OS would require more VRAM then another
Are you sure that's not due with program/ driver compatibility issues? I don't know why one OS would require more VRAM then another

I know for a fact that one game in particular (Peggle Nights) ran on fullscreen mode just fine under Windows 7, but had to be in a small windows on Windows 10. It wouldn't go fullscreen.
And Peggle Nights is not a graphics intensive game!

Hence, seeing as though my old laptop was Windows 7, I decided to dual boot, in order to keep Windows 7 (and keep my programs working).
Original post by spotify95
I know for a fact that one game in particular (Peggle Nights) ran on fullscreen mode just fine under Windows 7, but had to be in a small windows on Windows 10. It wouldn't go fullscreen.
And Peggle Nights is not a graphics intensive game!

Hence, seeing as though my old laptop was Windows 7, I decided to dual boot, in order to keep Windows 7 (and keep my programs working).

That's fair enough with the dual boot, but I think it may be compatibility problems. Not Windows 10 being inefficient.
What graphics card do you have? (if it's a not an integrated one)
Yaaaay! Just do a factory reset tho! :smile:
That's fair enough with the dual boot, but I think it may be compatibility problems. Not Windows 10 being inefficient.
What graphics card do you have? (if it's a not an integrated one)

Maybe, I don't know exactly what it is - all I do know is that some games (not that old either!) weren't running at all well on Windows 10, yet they ran fine on Windows 7 on the same laptop.

The graphics card is whatever is prebundled with the intel i7-4510U processor. It is integrated, though I haven't had issues with integrated graphics before, and having a separate graphics card (for not that much gaming, I don't play games that often, and certainly not the intensive shoot-em-up style games) increases the cost of the laptop by quite a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending