The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

The crucial word in my sentence was "now".
I voted Leave so unfortunately a petition for a 2nd referendum is not what i care about really
I voted Leave and Leave won fair and square, so stop acting like sore losers and move on. Anyway for all you Remain supporters we(the government) have barely even talked about leaving yet
Reply 803
I don't really understand why people are signing petitions for this? It was the UK's choice to make a suitable decision on 23rd June 2016 and the results showed that the country wants to leave the European Union. The points such as ''Brexiters are regretting the decision now'' or ''People who voted to leave didn't even know what EU was'' is nonsense. There is a law suggesting that only people aged 18 and over is allowed to vote for a reason. We are mature enough to take any voting effecting the country seriously. Even if the Brexiter's regretting the decision, tough there is no way out now.
Going for a second referendum will basically show the world that this is not a democratic country. Everyone had months to create judgements and consider the consequences as well as benefits to remain or leave the European Union. We had the power and control to allow changes to happen, so these petitions do not make sense to me.
There almost certainly will either be another referendum or an election to decide whether the UK is happy with the negotiated settlement...

You have to remember there is no Manifesto pledge to take the UK out of the EU.
I would suggest the Conservatives would need to go to the country before they changed their manifesto in such a dramatic way. I'm pretty sure, for example, London and Manchester and Scottish Tories (got 30% in recent Scottish election) did not vote Tory to leave the EU.
Reply 805
It was a bit stronger than that: (re-posting as you don't seem to have seen it from earlier)

the referendum was a device of dictators and demagogues

Margaret Thatcher, from an earlier quote by Clement Attlee:

Clement Attlee, Spring 1945: "I could not consent to the introduction into our national life of a device so alien to all our traditions as the referendum, which has only too often been the instrument of Nazism and fascism.”

And saying it forced Churchill into calling a General Election, that he lost.

---

But I do agree that a 2nd Referendum is unlikely in the short term, but very likely (or a GE) towards the end of Brexit negotiations. I've been saying this all the way through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 806
Original post by jneill
It's not so much that people have changed their minds, although many have.

It's because it's so close (only just over a third of the electorate actually voted in support of it), and it was decided with frankly a dearth of necessary information on both sides but particularly on the Leave side.

Have a read of this (it's quite long but that, as you will read, is the point...):

https://medium.com/@kirstymhall/brexit-was-a-con-67532113a7c

People shouldn't be changing their minds though. They should have only been voting if they knew thats what they really wanted.
Reply 807
Original post by Crb822
People shouldn't be changing their minds though. They should have only been voting if they knew thats what they really wanted.

Yes indeed, people should never be able to change their minds in the light of new information. Like, oh, the NHS not getting the £350 million after all. Or Turkey not actually joining the EU tomorrow. Or Mark Carney having to put his hands in his pocket to find £250 Billion (that's Billion) to protect the markets...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Yes indeed, people should never be able to change their minds in the light of new information. Like, oh, the NHS not getting the £350 million after all. Or Turkey not actually joining the EU tomorrow. Or Mark Carney having to put his hands in his pocket to find £250 Billion (that's Billion) to protect the markets...

You mean like the millions who voted Blair into government because of the things he said he would do for education and the NHS but then went and took us into an illegal war with Iraq, killing 1000s on the back of lies about WMDs?

Yeah, did we get a second vote on that one after being duped . . . . . ? Nope!
Original post by Crb822

The validity of any election is dependent on the honesty of those in the running.

The problem with a referendum is that no-one is responsible for the honesty of the claims made. No-one is in a position to truthfully say that money will be spent on this or this trade deal will be negotiated. We aren't voting for a politician, we're voting for an idea.

With no-one held to account for the information given out by those generally seen as responsible and honest, we can be misled and lied to this far lesser consequence than any election.
Reply 810
Original post by offhegoes
The validity of any election is dependent on the honesty of those in the running.

The problem with a referendum is that no-one is responsible for the honesty of the claims made. No-one is in a position to truthfully say that money will be spent on this or this trade deal will be negotiated. We aren't voting for a politician, we're voting for an idea.

With no-one held to account for the information given out by those generally seen as responsible and honest, we can be misled and lied to this far lesser consequence than any election.

Good point, well made.

And probably why Thatcher/Attlee were so against them.
Reply 811
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
You mean like the millions who voted Blair into government because of the things he said he would do for education and the NHS but then went and took us into an illegal war with Iraq, killing 1000s on the back of lies about WMDs?

Yeah, did we get a second vote on that one after being duped . . . . . ? Nope!

Wot? The war in Iraq wasn't in the 2001 Labour manifesto simply because it hadn't happened. And he went on to win the next GE in 2005. So yes you did get a second vote... (actually it was a 3rd vote, he also won in 1997)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 812
Original post by jneill

It was pretty obvious that Turkey won't be joining the EU for a long time,
What an utter pile of rubbish. Clearly dislike democracy and just throwing the toys out of the pram!

Shall we just keep having referendums until remain win?
Reply 814
Original post by Crb822
It was pretty obvious that Turkey won't be joining the EU for a long time,

It is obvious now. And that's what Remain were saying the whole time but in the face of posters like this it's unsurprising some people believed them. Some not all. And it just takes a few % of some people to make the difference when the vote is tight.

3002.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 815
Original post by adam9317
What an utter pile of rubbish. Clearly dislike democracy and just throwing the toys out of the pram!

Shall we just keep having referendums until remain win?

Remind me what Nigel said?
Oh, and who created the petition in the first place?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
It is obvious now. And that's what Remain were saying the whole time but in the face of posters like this it's unsurprising some people believed them. Some not all. And it just takes a few % of some people to make the difference when the vote is tight.

3002.jpg

There won't be a second referendum, quit wasting your time.
Reply 817
Original post by jneill

3002.jpg

Don't get me wrong I wanted to remain. However I think people need to accept what is done is done. We can't bring this country forward by constantly changing our minds and being undemocratic.
Original post by jneill
Remind me what Nigel said? Oh, and who created the petition in the first place?

Spoiler

Nigel Farage does not = official leave campaign..nice tu quo fallacy
Original post by jneill
Remind me what Nigel said?
Oh, and who created the petition in the first place?

Spoiler

At the end of the day, the people have spoken, and by a margin of 1.2 million people, the people of our country have voted to leave!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending