The Student Room Group

Investment Banking Summer Analyst - Ask Me Anything

Scroll to see replies

What subjects did you do for A-Level? Seen your post and you had solid grades
I heard that analysts get free dinner if they work late. Is this true? If so, what do people usually order?
Could you offer some advice to someone (myself) that hasn't done any spring weeks but plans on applying for summer internships?Also you said 'apply early'. How early are we talking?
Is investment banking really as tough as everyone makes out to be. On a scale of 1-10 how tough is it
Original post by Trapz99
I heard that analysts get free dinner if they work late. Is this true? If so, what do people usually order?

yeah, a lot order healthier meals to not get fat.. I rinse out kebabs and Indian and hope for the best

Original post by sosasays
Could you offer some advice to someone (myself) that hasn't done any spring weeks but plans on applying for summer internships?Also you said 'apply early'. How early are we talking?

when applications open, straight away.. and go to as many networking events as you can to meet the firm reps and HR

Original post by RibbonTide
Is investment banking really as tough as everyone makes out to be. On a scale of 1-10 how tough is it

in terms of intellectual prowess needed: 2

in terms of attention to detail: 10

you have to know how to manage time, be efficient and quick without making mistakes, and be able to execute orders without too much guidance (intuition)
(edited 7 years ago)
can you send me some money pls? In need of a new pair of shoes
Original post by gr8wizard10
it's a semi target think (notts, Manchester, Bristol etc..) none of those btw

I like the people and comradery and how you can rely on others

apply early pretty much, a lot is luck

working weekends now, given the deliverables I'll be in today and tomorrow but hey I'm going on a date in 30 mins

the analysts are my friends, everyone's cool here, have a laugh, go for drinks and what not so it's pretty good

How was your date?

Any advice for someone doing a pre university internship? I understand there aren't many expectations but I'm looking to heavily impress.
Econ, math, phy

yeah, a lot order healthier meals to not get fat.. I rinse out kebabs and Indian and hope for the best

when applications open, straight away.. and go to as many networking events as you can to meet the firm reps and HR

in terms of intellectual prowess needed: 2

in terms of attention to detail: 10

you have to know how to manage time, be efficient and quick without making mistakes, and be able to execute orders without too much guidance (intuition)

my bday soon, whats my present?
Original post by joey4live
How was your date?

Any advice for someone doing a pre university internship? I understand there aren't many expectations but I'm looking to heavily impress.

very good, went to see some street performances and a boat road on the Thames, then a stroll through southbank before I had to head back to work for a call.

be curious to learn, ask lots of questions, network with people (go out for coffees/lunches) and just enjoy your time really.. you don't have much pressure at your stage
Original post by welcometoib

my top bae tips
my top bae tips

ah **** talking about that, whatsapp incoming soon, you know what im gna chat about :tongue:

Oi, never even got a bday message from you.. And it was yesterday. Step up ya game son

Posted from TSR Mobile
...you have to know how to manage time, be efficient and quick without making mistakes, and be able to execute orders without too much guidance (intuition)

Well, s**t
ah **** talking about that, whatsapp incoming soon, you know what im gna chat about :tongue:

damn, drama hit the fan?
Reply 34
what's ur living expenses etc.
Reply 35
Hey. How difficult is it for a non EU/Britain resident to land such an internship after MPhil Finance and Economics from Cambridge ? Does being from such a university is of any help at all ?
Reply 36
monkey business: swinging through the Wall Street jungle

damn, it feels good to be a banker

the accidental investment banker

how I caused the credit crisis (specific to DCM)

Thanks, repped
Original post by Desi123
Thanks, repped

Would add:

Young Money by Kevin Roose

Buyside by Turney Duff

Liar's Poker

Flash Boys

Barbarians at the Gate

Cityboy by Geraint

Dave Charters' stuff: "At Bonus time no one can hear you scream", "ego has landed", "trust me I'm a banker"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by exitopp
what's ur living expenses etc.

travel which totals to about £90 a month, i'm living at home so not much

Original post by rajput05
Hey. How difficult is it for a non EU/Britain resident to land such an internship after MPhil Finance and Economics from Cambridge ? Does being from such a university is of any help at all ?

would say about 40-50% of my cohort in IBD are european and we have 2 americans

we have a lot of oxbridge students, so yes it helps from coming from a strong university
Reply 39
Does landing such an internship depends upon previous experience in the Financial sector ? Does a student with no work/internship experience in this sector but having strong academic credentials in Finance (say Masters in Finance from Oxbridge), good co-curriculars etc. have a fair chance of getting such an opportunity ?

Quick Reply