The Student Room Group

Do you look down on 30+ year olds who work in retail?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
Because I have met people who have been working the same entry level positions for years with no promotion.

Would you rather they quit their job and instead sit at home collecting benefits?
Because stacking shelves is something I expect a person who is doing their a levels to be doing and when I see someone in their mid thirties doing it, I am thinking come on, you need to fix up. And I understand but you cannot years working the same position.

Thing is, you don't know anything about them. This may be their first ever job, gotta start somewhere.
They may be a student trying to pay their way through uni.
They may have a second job and work part time to save money.
They may have been made redundant from a previous job.
They may have just graduated and volunteering at a placement to gain experience while working part time to have disposable income.
Original post by AsapRocky
Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of the time I don't. There are a number of reasons as to why they may be undertaking a job like this and I take this into account.

For example, some of these workers may be university students themselves who may have found this as their only form of employment. Some of them may be migrants who are here to support them and their families. Some of them may have taken up such employment in addition to their full time job to get extra income.

So all in all, I do not think that they are "uneducated"
I look down on 30 plus year olds on minimum wage.
An adult cannot survive on a minimum wage

Someone has to do those jobs, right?
Like shelf-stackers in ASDA/Tesco etc? Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No because God is a ****** who didn't give everyone equal levels of intelligence and/or luck.
Reply 124
Original post by Ano123
So just to confirm you can look down on people who falsely accuse people of rape too?

You were correct eatlier when you said you were being pedantic.
I doubt you really need me to advise you on that.
My original comment on this thread was written because some people are so cruel and judgemental and I felt physically sick to think there are people out there that are so egocentric and full of there own self importance that they look down on others trying to make a living. So I couldn't scroll past without saying something. I'm glad I did. I was trying to be the voice of reason amongst a torrent of vile comments.
Reply 125
Since manufacturing jobs doesn't exist in this country and the only jobs available for low skilled people is retail then no I won't look down on such people because at the end of the day there are more people who are unemployed than there are jobs available
I had a temp job over last xmas in Lakeland and I was so surprised how hard it is working in a shop- and how hard it must be that being your life. These people were so hard working and genuine. Majority of them opened up about previously being pre-school teachers or dreamed of acting etc and those paths just didn't work out- some had rough backgrounds thus no qualifications but JFC they're your service don't be such a douche about it????????????? not cool
Original post by maggie43
Yeah I actually do, even those who work in McDonald's

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol are you being serious? People who say or think this sh*t just annoy me.

When I was a student and working PT in McDonald's the majority of the people I worked with were at uni.**
Plus there's a large difference between people who stay in the same position and those who are uneducated. The work that they do does not have a direct link to the level of education someone may have. That's just people being a stuck up ar*se who's likely still 18 yo or below making these comments.

Working in any job, regardless of what level of work, can all be challenging and I respect anyone who gets out and works just to earn some sort of money. *
Original post by Playmaker#10
I know 21 year olds who earn £50,000 a year so why shouldn't they earn above that when they're 30

What job do your 21 year old friends do, that earns them £50K? Unless they are street drug dealers, that kind of starting salary for someone fresh out of university is mostly fictional. Even the starting salaries of investment bankers in the City are below £50K.
Original post by Yellow 03
What job do your 21 year old friends do, that earns them £50K? Unless they are street drug dealers, that kind of starting salary for someone fresh out of university is mostly fictional. Even the starting salaries of investment bankers in the City are below £50K.

My friend runs this tech company and the investment bankers I'm talking about work at private firms owned by people in their inner circle, obviously their salary isn't £50,000, that money comes in when their bonuses come in, that's why I said they earned £50,000 in a year, which is very true
This is why this forum can be disgusting at times.

The shelves won't stack themselves.. So someone needs to do it
Original post by Yellow 03

I can confirm that: entry-level bankers get £50k base + 20-70% bonus in their first year. High end entry level strat consultants get £40k base + up to £10k in bonus. Top tech peoples get £35-60k base (depending on company: think Google, FB, Snapchat etc) and a lot of stock grants vesting every year and maybe a bonus - have seen all my friends' offers with my own eyes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Playmaker#10
My friend runs this tech company and the investment bankers I'm talking about work at private firms owned by people in their inner circle, obviously their salary isn't £50,000, that money comes in when their bonuses come in, that's why I said they earned £50,000 in a year, which is very true

Salary is £50k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
??? You said you need work experience to claim benefit.. This is not true..

Posted from TSR Mobile

"???" You said people on benefits have "never worked a day in their lives." That's what's untrue. Because yes I said ppl who are on benefits many times need to show they are at least trying to work or they get sanctioned, or they simply cannot work. Again is this false? No. So how are they "lazy" when they need to be actively seeking work or are too ill to work? I've already said in my 1st post that you quoted and cropped out, that there are other types of benefits where people don't need to work at all in order to first get it, but to keep getting benefits, there are conditions and consequences. If you had just read it instead of knee jerk responding to the first sentence we wouldn't still be discussing this.
Nope, I wouldn't look down on anyone for that reason.
Do you auto think "must be uneducated" ?

Well, odds are they are uneducated.

But, no, obviously there's nothing wrong with going out and earning some money using what's available to you.
Because I have met people who have been working the same entry level positions for years with no promotion.
Because stacking shelves is something I expect a person who is doing their a levels to be doing and when I see someone in their mid thirties doing it, I am thinking come on, you need to fix up. And I understand but you cannot years working the same position.
I currently work as a project manager for a private charity

actually werking in retail is very physically and mentally demanding if you werk for a busy/ big store with heavy items
Original post by TheWaffle
actually werking in retail is very physically and mentally demanding if you werk for a busy/ big store with heavy items

I have done it, and it sucked.
I didn't say they were lazy
Reply 139
Original post by 0to100
"???" You said people on benefits have "never worked a day in their lives." That's what's untrue. Because yes I said ppl who are on benefits many times need to show they are at least trying to work or they get sanctioned, or they simply cannot work. Again is this false? No. So how are they "lazy" when they need to be actively seeking work or are too ill to work? I've already said in my 1st post that you quoted and cropped out, that there are other types of benefits where people don't need to work at all in order to first get it, but to keep getting benefits, there are conditions and consequences. If you had just read it instead of knee jerk responding to the first sentence we wouldn't still be discussing this.

Oh my dear God you are thick as hell! Literally not worth a response, no wonder you're on benefits, you're an idiot who is unemployable. Learn to read, seriously. Blanking you now as I may as well speak to a brick wall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending