The Student Room Group

German citizenship for young Brits

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
Leavers won by a narrow majority, most are poor and disaffected.

Remainers are mostly young and well off.

Who do you think the government will listen to, those that pay taxes or those that claim benefits?

Apparently the latter you fool. :colone: And I love these generalisations lol you obviously don't know anything outside of your social media network. Most people are commoners because most people aren't rich or well off. Most people do just all right.

So for Remainers who in your eyes represent "the well off" folks then their ideas and ideals don't really benefit anyone but themselves.
Original post by 0to100
He says "let us offer it to young Britons who live in Germany, Italy or France, so they can remain European Union citizens in this country." German law normally requires that anyone applying for citizenship has to relinquish their old citizenship.

See how Brexit inspires other countries to open their eyes? Now they're modifying their own unfair citizenship laws :u: Whereas with Remain, nothing would've happened. There. I've spun it around to again justify Brexit :colone:

Except, as usual, the Brexiter, in trying to be clever, shoots himself in the foot. Here we see, in my interpretation, the germ of an idea: a "European Union citizenship" which exists independently of citizenship of any one member state. One which might be extended to a whole generation of high-value immigrants at a time of demographic stagnation on the Continent.

It is often said that Brussels tends to respond to crises with calls for "more Europe". It's definitely true that the shock of Brexit will push the EU into reform, and this will improve its scleroses and neuroses; even where that reform may in very many cases be "more Europe" type reform.

Either way, Brexit will push the EU to reform: but Britain is the sacrifice, not the beneficiary; and the gods will smile on those left alive while we are buried in the cold earth and forgotten about.
Where did this inconsistent stereotype of Leavers come from?

One minute they're old and conservative

and the next they're young chavs...

rrrright. :lol:
Original post by 0to100
Apparently the latter you fool. :colone: And I love these generalisations lol you obviously don't know anything outside of your social media network. Most people are commoners because most people aren't rich or well off. Most people do just all right.

So for Remainers who in your eyes represent "the well off" folks then their ideas and ideals don't really benefit anyone but themselves.

Correct, we are all commoners, and none of us really has any economic power. Which is why it exasperates me no end to see the working classes revolt not against the upper but against the middle classes. We are crabs in a bucket and thanks to our folly we will be made into paste for the fisherman's profit.

This resentment has long been there, operating on a personal as well as political level. If you are a working-class person done good you will get a frosty reception when you visit home again with tales of your fancy job in London or whatever.
Original post by 0to100
Programs are normally cut when no one actively uses their resources anyway. Why waste money?

There is some truth there. Literally the only pull factor for immigration to Britain, otherwise known as a rainy, racist country with stingy benefits and stingier employment conditions (this is based on the responses of Turks in a recent survey I saw reported), is that more or less everyone speaks a bit of English.
Original post by scrotgrot
Except, as usual, the Brexiter, in trying to be clever, shoots himself in the foot. Here we see, in my interpretation, the germ of an idea: a "European Union citizenship" which exists independently of citizenship of any one member state. One which might be extended to a whole generation of high-value immigrants at a time of demographic stagnation on the Continent.

It is often said that Brussels tends to respond to crises with calls for "more Europe". It's definitely true that the shock of Brexit will push the EU into reform, and this will improve its scleroses and neuroses; even where that reform may in very many cases be "more Europe" type reform.

Either way, Brexit will push the EU to reform: but Britain is the sacrifice, not the beneficiary; and the gods will smile on those left alive while we are buried in the cold earth and forgotten about.

:erm: I was gonna respond seriously but this just made me laugh. Like a line out of Lord of the Rings, can you not next time mate?

Well anyway yes we can agree that Brexit will challenge former policies and laws :smile: that were otherwise left ignored and perpetuated under a conservative Prime Minister :colonhash: If anything Brexiters are the true democrats. They see what's going on, how the land has been invaded by an influx of people through the floodgates left swung open by a man who couldn't have cared less because it made his job easier and pockets fuller. While homelessness rose, tuition fees rose, unemployment rose (particularly for "the poor and 'disaffected' but still your fellow citiens) "well off" remainers and their privileged kids with their heads in the clouds danced in ignorance about it. Well unfortunately for you lot, millions of people and millions more thankfully are sick of it.
Original post by 0to100
:erm: I was gonna respond seriously but this just made me laugh. Like a line out of Lord of the Rings, can you not next time mate?

I do try to be colourful with my metaphors :smile:

Well anyway yes we can agree that Brexit will challenge former policies and laws :smile: that were otherwise left ignored and perpetuated under a conservative Prime Minister :colonhash: If anything Brexiters are the true democrats. They see what's going on, how the land has been invaded by an influx of people through the floodgates left swung open by a man who couldn't have cared less because it made his job easier and pockets fuller. While homelessness rose, tuition fees rose, unemployment rose (particularly for "the poor and 'disaffected' but still your fellow citiens) "well off" remainers and their privileged kids with their heads in the clouds danced in ignorance about it. Well unfortunately for you lot, millions of people and millions more thankfully are sick of it.

Firstly I have spent the last six years hating David Cameron and all that he represents, but I am not childish enough to gamble away the future of the country just to give the man a bloody nose. He will be quite happy collecting millions sitting on the boards of British companies and £300 a day turning up at the House of Lords as he will be sitting on the boards of European companies and expenses for turning up to the European institutions. Instead I expressed my opposition to David Cameron by voting for, and arguing in support of, the party best placed to defeat him in the 2015 general election, rather than being scared off by nonsense about Nicola Sturgeon and bacon sandwiches.

Now, it is up to you to show, as it has always been, that homelessness, tuition fees (seriously??), unemployment, and all the other social and economic ills that have abounded especially since the financial crisis, are correlated with immigration.

Newsflash: they're not. I've looked at the graphs.

It's a misdirection exercise. First they blamed the Labour Party; then they blamed "benefit cheats"; then they blamed immigrants; now they blame the EU. And you fall for it every time.

I mean, for heaven's sake: most immigrants, particularly unskilled or non-working ones, come from non-EU countries like say Pakistan.

Seriously, it's one thing believing government propaganda, but how thick do the Brexiters have to be to connect the EU with non-EU immigration?

And I am not sure whether to laugh or cry when I think about who, once we have further impoverished ourselves by voting out of the EU, the next lazily selected scapegoat will be. I don't think IDS actually got around to killing off all the disabled people last time around, did he? Or maybe Stephen Crabb will round up all the gays and send them to corrective medical facilities in the Welsh mountains.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wir werden Sie nicht verpassen.
Reply 28
My nephew works in Berlin so he could take advantage of this scheme. He is young, well educated and speaks German.

I hope he not forced to come back to Britain after Brexit and have to look for a job competing with all the other Brits forced to come back to Britain wrecked by the proletariat at the behest of the wealthy elites who manipulated them so they can get one over other elites.
Reply 29
Original post by Maker
Leavers motivated by jealousy and envy, no wonder they hate anyone who tries to make something of themselves.

Leavers try to drag the young and hopeful down to their level.

I bet they want Remainers to stay so they can pay for their benefits.

The true colours of the social justice warrior. An utter contempt for the very people they claim to represent
Reply 30
Original post by Fenice
The true colours of the social justice warrior. An utter contempt for the very people they claim to represent

I never claim to represent anyone, you are projecting your own prejudices onto others.
Personally am not in favour of these types of arrangements, it will mean less of a talent pool in UK to work the industries and as it is the population is rapidly aging.

In any case, living in Germany isn't that easy, working culture is different and even though there are companies that claim English is the lingua-franca of the company, the reality of it is it is English only when it is needed, you will still need fairly good command of German to live and work there. Also to note it is mostly the large conglomerates that are following such practices and these aren't the majority of employers. Most of their industries are small or medium scale.

Oh yes, am not in favour of UK being part of the single market or EFTA, negotiations will take too long and too much uncertainty. Much rather be out and be done, life goes on and we......sorry you can get on with building up the country minus EU. Will definitely be better for the EU as well that their biggest detractor is now out of the picture.
Not long ago German citizenship was still a jus sanguinis. I know this because my maternal grandfather was German.
Skilless and jobless people on my Fb timeline keep saying they're leaving the country, and all I can think is "get a move on." You can't really get a permanent visa in North America or Australia if you're skilless and jobless, and moving to Europe might be trickier soon, so why don't they just go?
Reply 34
Original post by marco14196
I do love that the Leave campaigners feel they can try to deter people from wanting to leave the country, wanting them to share in the suffering. If you're a young person, have little anchoring you in this country and you have a career lined up abroad, take the opportunity.

However for balance i would suggest that if they are inclined to leave the UK possibly the EU is not a great choice of destination. If I were young , educated and in demand I would more be aiming for the Pacific rim countries myself. Forgetting Brexit/Remain arguments and looking at the big picture I would suspect that over the next 40 years Asia/China will be where prosperity lies, Western Europe looks to be in long term relative (not absolute) decline.

So, if no ties etc somewhere like Australia (being English speaking) would be on my list of possibles, just need to start calculating the points.
Disgusting how anyone of ethnic engish descent can even contemplate getting German citizenship. Your grandfathers will be rolling in their graves
We should start a black market. Continental Europeans who want to move to the UK and Brits who want to move to the EU, marry each other, get the other country's passport and voila. Free movement within both the EU and the UK. Problem solved. Free market at work.
Reply 37
Original post by scrotgrot
I do try to be colourful with my metaphors :smile:

Firstly I have spent the last six years hating David Cameron and all that he represents, but I am not childish enough to gamble away the future of the country just to give the man a bloody nose. He will be quite happy collecting millions sitting on the boards of British companies and £300 a day turning up at the House of Lords as he will be sitting on the boards of European companies and expenses for turning up to the European institutions. Instead I expressed my opposition to David Cameron by voting for, and arguing in support of, the party best placed to defeat him in the 2015 general election, rather than being scared off by nonsense about Nicola Sturgeon and bacon sandwiches.

Now, it is up to you to show, as it has always been, that homelessness, tuition fees (seriously??), unemployment, and all the other social and economic ills that have abounded especially since the financial crisis, are correlated with immigration.

Newsflash: they're not. I've looked at the graphs.

It's a misdirection exercise. First they blamed the Labour Party; then they blamed "benefit cheats"; then they blamed immigrants; now they blame the EU. And you fall for it every time.

I mean, for heaven's sake: most immigrants, particularly unskilled or non-working ones, come from non-EU countries like say Pakistan.

Seriously, it's one thing believing government propaganda, but how thick do the Brexiters have to be to connect the EU with non-EU immigration?

And I am not sure whether to laugh or cry when I think about who, once we have further impoverished ourselves by voting out of the EU, the next lazily selected scapegoat will be. I don't think IDS actually got around to killing off all the disabled people last time around, did he? Or maybe Stephen Crabb will round up all the gays and send them to corrective medical facilities in the Welsh mountains.

You missed out the now forgotten single mothers from the list of those who have, in the past, been blamed for the country's/our ills.

Actually it really shows how pathetic the British can be each time they decide upon a new figure of hate; at least Guy Fawkes got his own day out of the deal.

Whilst we do sometimes rise to the occasion we certainly display an inability to appreciate that our life outcomes are often more a reflection of our own effort and achievement . (Or lack thereof)

We do so love to blame someone else for our own lack of application; lets face it blaming someone else is often a clever way to deflect one from deeper introspection of self.
Reply 38
Original post by neal95
Disgusting how anyone of ethnic engish descent can even contemplate getting German citizenship. Your grandfathers will be rolling in their graves

Since a lot of British people are Anglo -Saxon and the Saxons were originally from Saxony in Germany, many British people have German ancestry, not to mention French, Spanish, Danish, Italian etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending