The Student Room Group

Is time travel possible?

Scientifically is there any possibility it can be done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Yes! I think so, we're just not advanced enough yet as a species. But the red shift effect explains that universes looking at us through a telescope )or whatever) they are actually seeing the dinosaurs, or stone age man (because the light is so far away) - so technically, not matter what age you are born, your life is immortalised (due to the finite amount of universes looking at you from different distances).

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Yes! I think so, we're just not advanced enough yet as a species. But the red shift effect explains that universes looking at us through a telescope )or whatever) they are actually seeing the dinosaurs, or stone age man (because the light is so far away) - so technically, not matter what age you are born, your life is immortalised (due to the finite amount of universes looking at you from different distances).

Spoiler

U gotta be joking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsapRocky
U gotta be joking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, prepare yourself for this is deep.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Nope, prepare yourself for this is deep.

Spoiler

I see flaws in this though..are you really time travelling though? because time is advancing you are just seeing an image of past events you couldn't have any influence over past events like stop 9/11 or interact with people of the past, really you are watching a movie so to speak.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know but I really hope not. I don't want people being able to go back and mess with my past.
If it is possible some time, where are the future explorers visiting us now? :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If it is possible some time, where are the future explorers visiting us now? :confused:

This is the flaw I see in time travel (refer to above post) either way you look at it there is on one accurate time, everything else is just images from light

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the flaw I see in time travel (refer to above post) either way you look at it there is on one accurate time, everything else is just images from light

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've read different things about the concept of time from a scientific point of view. Some argue that there is no 'time' in reality, that is a human perception - there is a 'direction of entropy' which cannot be reversed. Others argue that 'time' does exist and started when the universe started. Didn't Einstein rely crucially on time in his equations? I'm a little hazy on the details. :teehee:
Reply 9
Yes, I was telling my friend this only tomorrow.
Original post by Drewski
Yes, I was telling my friend this only tomorrow.

I think I spoke to him myself, when I was down at the shops the day after yesterday, just before the day before tomorrow.
Reply 11

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBrsWPCp_rs
[video="youtube;CBrsWPCp_rs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBrsWPCp_rs[/video]
The faster you travel, the slower time moves relative to you. So it is possible to move forward through time rapidly while experiencing less time from your perspective. Mass also plays a role in this, but I ain't no physicist, so you'll have to look that up.

It's not possible to go to go backwards through time, however. While time can speed up or slow down, you cannot revisit the past, seeing as it no longer exists.

This is, to my knowledge, what we understand about time and space so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your time travelling right now
I hope that we one day become advanced enough to travel back in time. How amazing would it be to see legendary historical figures and events in the flesh :moon:
Reply 15
Currently backwards time travel violates a fundamental law of physics, that is 'the entropy (disorder) of the universe can only ever increase' this law is the reason why we experience time as 'forwards going' everywhere in the known universe. However time travel in itself can be shown to be a natural consequence of Einstein-style four dimensional space-time, time itself can be treated like another dimension in which an objects position can be defined.

Posted from TSR Mobile
theoretically yes if you can go faster then the speed of light It can be done there was a test done I fact with two clocks and concord they sicroniseed two clocks one in new your one in concord they found once they landed at new yours that the clock on concord was running slower in flight so it can be done but the speed that you have to go would kill you*
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think I spoke to him myself, when I was down at the shops the day after yesterday, just before the day before tomorrow.

We don't have mutual friends :hand:

:tongue:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I hope that we one day become advanced enough to travel back in time. How amazing would it be to see legendary historical figures and events in the flesh :moon:

I don't think this is how it would work though according to the theories.
Reply 19
All depends on who you believe, if you believe Einstien and General Relativity, and it's a fair assumption to do so, then no. Forward time travel yes, backwards no. Also if backwards is possible then P=NP, and we're almost certain it isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending