The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AshEntropy

Lord of the Flies? I don't get it :smile:
Original post by Pride
Did you want to talk to a Christian who wasn't brought up in a Christian home, or were you just wondering how many people are in that situation.

I'm more curious as to numbers but it'd be cool to chat to someone in a similar situation (I'm still not 100% if that makes sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went to the unbelievable conference today, and one talk was on the museum of the bible opening in Washington next year:

https://www.museumofthebible.org/traveling-exhibits

Even the videos tours don't do it justice. The president was here and explained the changing murals of Christian art on the LCD ceiling, the extensive manuscript collection and partnership with Cambridge and Oxford research programs and the interactive exhibitions for all levels of interest.

It has floors on the history, narrative and impact of the bible.

The hope is to have one on every continent, London is being considered! The company has now linked with bible gateway and has started establishing school programs in tel aviv and the USA. It's mission statement is to being the bible back to the centre of conversation and it really has the plan to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slipandsquirm
Went to the unbelievable conference today, and one talk was on the museum of the bible opening in Washington next year:

Even the videos tours don't do it justice. The president was here and explained the changing murals of Christian art on the LCD ceiling, the extensive manuscript collection and partnership with Cambridge and Oxford research programs and the interactive exhibitions for all levels of interest.

The hope is to have one on every continent, London is being considered! The company has now linked with bible gateway and has started establishing school programs in tel aviv and the USA. It's mission statement is to being the bible back to the centre of conversation and it really has the plan to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds great!
What an example to us all.

A Finchley Synagogue has opened its doors, for the past 3 years, to the Muslims of a local mosque which was burnt down. They meet together, share friendship and eat meals together,

Warmed my heart.

(Its the one Sadiq Khan visited.

http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/sadiq-khan-expresses-concern-about-impact-of-brexit-on-community-relations/)
Original post by Racoon

A Finchley Synagogue has opened its doors, for the past 3 years, to the Muslims of a local mosque which was burnt down. They meet together, share friendship and eat meals together,

Warmed my heart.

http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/sadiq-khan-expresses-concern-about-impact-of-brexit-on-community-relations/)

I was wondering why he was celebrating iftar in a synagogue :colondollar: Thanks for explaining! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slipandsquirm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's exciting. I'm all for interesting ways of evangelising and just getting people talking about Jesus, scripture, history. Sounds great.

Have you heard about the life-sized ark 'Answers in Genesis' are making in America, copying the measurements of Noah's ark as described in the bible. I think that would be really interesting to see in the UK. Or something else biblical.

Original post by Butterfly9595
I'm more curious as to numbers but it'd be cool to chat to someone in a similar situation (I'm still not 100% if that makes sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you in that situation. I know a number of people irl, but not really on TSR to be honest. Their experiences are always fascinating.
Original post by Pride
Are you in that situation. I know a number of people irl, but not really on TSR to be honest. Their experiences are always fascinating.

Yeah I am, and finding other experiences helpful in understanding a bit more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6168
Original post by Butterfly9595
Is there anyone here who didn't grow up as a Christian, but became a believer later on? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, I think I was summoned :biggrin:

I'm one of those who grew up non-Christian (in an atheist family in my case) but became a believer later, and I know a few others who've been on the same journey :smile: happy to talk about it if you'd like
Reply 6169
Original post by Mazzini
Hey peeps. Hope we are all OK.

Just wanted to share some good news...

1) I came out to my dad (as gay, in case you didn't know) and he is being super amazeballs about it. He was the main person I still needed to come out to so I'm also now out publicly. Had so much love and support, it's really made me happy. It's also lifted my anxiety and depression a fair bit. God is good! :love:

2) I just made it through my first week of an actual job :eek:

3) I've forgotten what else I was going to say. :colondollar:

Love to all :grouphugs:

Wohoooo!! :biggrin: nice one Mazz!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 6170
Original post by Diety
Wohoooo!! :biggrin: nice one Mazz!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

It's a Diety!

Now there's someone I've not seen around for a while.
Original post by Racoon

Warmed my heart.

Thanks for sharing that, lovely to read:ninja:
Reply 6172
Original post by getfunky!
Thanks for sharing that, lovely to read:ninja:

:creep:
Original post by Diety

I'm one of those who grew up non-Christian (in an atheist family in my case) but became a believer later, and I know a few others who've been on the same journey :smile: happy to talk about it if you'd like

Hi Diety!

I would love to learn from your experience and encounter with God! I've got friends who are atheists, but I don't want to shove "religion" down their throats. I want to approach them and share the gospel in a polite way.
You might have shared your story here and if you wouldn't mind, I would love to read it. Do you have a link where I can read about your story?

Blessings,
Brent
Original post by Diety

Will pm you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my favs at the mo :smile:

I don't know about you but I'm always running to God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f3sNiYpuF4

[video="youtube;3f3sNiYpuF4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f3sNiYpuF4[/video]
Oh and this one, freely YOU gave it all or us, surrendered your love upon the cross...
great is the love poured out for all this is our God.

[video="youtube;qT6czqPgJ5s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT6czqPgJ5s[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT6czqPgJ5s
Would you all agree that the strong strongest argument for Christianity is the resurrection of Christ?
Original post by Boondock Saint
Would you all agree that the strong strongest argument for Christianity is the resurrection of Christ?

Without the resurrection of Christ the fullness of salvation wouldn't have been complete.

Symbolic for us too, death to our old life and risen with Christ into a new life, being born again.
Original post by Boondock Saint

What is the strongest argument for 2 + 2 equalling 4?

I think the answer to that question is subjective. Or at least, we don't know whether there is an objectively correct answer.

In the same way, I think whether the resurrection is the strongest argument for Christianity is subjective as well. Someone could say 'the biblical prophesies being fulfilled in Jesus is the strongest', or 'I received a vision and that is the most convincing evidence', or 'I just feel that it is true', or 'the revolutionary impact of Jesus' teachings is the strongest argument', or 'the impossibility of all the main religions/atheism is the strongest argument'. These are just examples, not things I necessarily would say, but it's that word 'strong' that is subjective - it brings in this idea of giving a 'value' to different arguments.

It also depends on what you mean by the question. Do you mean, 'given the resurrection happened, that is the strongest evidence for Christianity being true'? Or do you mean 'the evidence for the resurrection is the best evidence in support of Christianity'? And finally, what do you mean by Christianity?

Sorry if this response is OTT. I just find that question not as yes or no as it may seem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending