The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Let's hope we can get Balotelli off the books soon too. Benteke is a great player in the right system, I'm sure he'll do well at Palace.
Original post by Zerforax
Allen had another good game today.

Should add a few extra mills on his price tag...
Original post by The.Joker

Please don't do this :frown:
bet that we still will sell allen for £10m even if he scores the winner that wins wales the euros.

Yea this tournament isn't hurting his reputation at all. I doubt we'll get much since he's likely to want to go back to Swansea but it can't hurt if a couple more bids come in for him.

If Crystal Palace have come in with an opening bid of £25mil, there's obviously scope for more. Very few strikers around and everyone will be getting desperate soon.
Original post by Lúcio
Please don't do this :frown:

Blame klopp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klopp is frustrating, play joe allen full time next season FFS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
Klopp is frustrating, play joe allen full time next season FFS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not good enough to be a starter at a club aiming for top 4.
So Balotelli has stated he wants to win the Balon d'Or. :lol:

Mario Balotell returned to training with Liverpool on Saturday as the Italian declared “I will win the Ballon d’Or one day.”
The £16m misfit, who spent last season on loan at AC Milan, joined the rest of Jurgen Klopp’s squad as they reported for pre-season at Melwood on Saturday morning. Balotelli is likely to be moved on by the Reds this summer, but for now will be given the chance to prove his fitness and attitude. And speaking to Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera, the 25-year-old showed that two seasons of low-key performances have not diminished his famous confidence. Asked if there had been too much expectation placed upon him in years gone by, Balotelli said: “In my view there weren’t enough, as I can do so much more than what I said. But it takes time.“On the scale of 0 to 10, I stopped at five, but I’ll get to 10 eventually. I want to get there. I will win the Ballon d’Or."

“I do realise that I’ve spent two years of my career when I could’ve been getting closer to 10 and instead stayed at five. I know, the Ballon d’Or might seem laughable and I might not have done everything to be the best, but the important thing is I realised it’s not too late.“I don’t want to reach the end of my career with the regret of not doing everything I can to be the best. Up until two years ago I made do with what I had. I did well, knew I could play, so I was happy. It wasn’t in my mind to improve, as I thought that was enough.“Over the last two years I started working seriously, yet the results did not arrive. Maybe I am paying the price for the previous 23 years. I am relaxed, though, as I am aware that in the last two years things have changed completely.”Balotelli made 28 appearances for the Reds during the 2014/15 season, scoring four times.

How does everyone feel about him? I wouldn't mind keeping him till January if we can't sell him this summer. Maybe Klopp can work miracles, although I seriously doubt it. Good to see a change in Balo's attitude though.
So Balotelli has stated he wants to win the Balon d'Or. :lol:

How does everyone feel about him? I wouldn't mind keeping him till January if we can't sell him this summer. Maybe Klopp can work miracles, although I seriously doubt it. Good to see a change in Balo's attitude though.

He won't survive the triple training sessions Klopp is implementing.

Balotelli has always been delusional but he can't match the dreaming with the hardwork. He'll never win the Balon d'Or.
He won't survive the triple training sessions Klopp is implementing.

Balotelli has always been delusional but he can't match the dreaming with the hardwork. He'll never win the Balon d'Or.

I think balo has transformed. He'l play next season since klopp favors origi over sturridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
I think balo has transformed. He'l play next season since klopp favors origi over sturridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well maybe some Italian club will agree with you and take a punt but I'd be surprised to see him play another game for Liverpool ever.

So what if Klopp prefers Origi? Balotelli doesn't offer anything Origi does so I don't know what you're trying to link.
There's no need to sell Allen. We hack a knack for wanting to sell players rather than keeping a strong bench, if someone doesn't wan't to pay his full price then I'll happily keep hold of him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
There's no need to sell Allen. We hack a knack for wanting to sell players rather than keeping a strong bench, if someone doesn't wan't to pay his full price then I'll happily keep hold of him.

Can we convince him to sign a new contract? Otherwise we're throwing away £10mil or whatever we're seeking.
Grujic is absolutely huge.

And I would love to give Allen a new contract. I could be wrong but I would guess that Klopp will use 4-2-3-1 as it's his favoured formation and he's in his first full transfer window. The thing with being in a two man midfield is that you need confidence, you need to be forward thinking, and most importantly you need the composure to be able to keep the ball under pressure. Allen is not the best at it but he's able to do it. Emre Can is understandably a little inconsistent but he too is able to do it. Henderson more often than not cracks under pressure and his first thought is to always go backwards.

This is a random example from the first Dortmund game, ironically involving Can. (idk if this will work)

[video="youtube;0yPV6NAhRCc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPV6NAhRCc[/video]

So whilst Henderson can do a job in a 3, if we were to predominantly play a 2 man midfield I'd be really disappointed if we sold Allen yet started Henderson. I personally want another midfielder (Dahoud) but would be much more confident with Allen coming off the bench than Henderson. And some people (not necessarily on here but on the likes of Twitter) and saying things along the lines of Allen having a few good games, or a purple patch. I'm not sure how consistently performing in the time he's had since Klopp came in October can be seen as a purple patch, just my view.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samiz
Grujic is absolutely huge.

And I would love to give Allen a new contract. I could be wrong but I would guess that Klopp will use 4-2-3-1 as it's his favoured formation and he's in his first full transfer window. The thing with being in a two man midfield is that you need confidence, you need to be forward thinking, and most importantly you need the composure to be able to keep the ball under pressure. Allen is not the best at it but he's able to do it. Emre Can is understandably a little inconsistent but he too is able to do it. Henderson more often than not cracks under pressure and his first thought is to always go backwards.

This is a random example from the first Dortmund game, ironically involving Can. (idk if this will work)

[video="youtube;0yPV6NAhRCc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPV6NAhRCc[/video]

So whilst Henderson can do a job in a 3, if we were to predominantly play a 2 man midfield I'd be really disappointed if we sold Allen yet started Henderson. I personally want another midfielder (Dahoud) but would be much more confident with Allen coming off the bench than Henderson. And some people (not necessarily on here but on the likes of Twitter) and saying things along the lines of Allen having a few good games, or a purple patch. I'm not sure how consistently performing in the time he's had since Klopp came in October can be seen as a purple patch, just my view.

Grujic does fit the template of a Klopp player more than Allen. But with him being only 20, he's obviously one of the future. The fact we're looking at players like Zeilinski too points towards that.

For me, Allen only works in a midfield three where you have someone else physical and a third man to help cover the pitch. Don't think we've seen any evidence that Allen would work in a midfield two.

Klopp obviously doesn't see enough from Allen from training - there's a reason why he started so few games under Klopp.
Grujic does fit the template of a Klopp player more than Allen. But with him being only 20, he's obviously one of the future. The fact we're looking at players like Zeilinski too points towards that.

For me, Allen only works in a midfield three where you have someone else physical and a third man to help cover the pitch. Don't think we've seen any evidence that Allen would work in a midfield two.

Klopp obviously doesn't see enough from Allen from training - there's a reason why he started so few games under Klopp.

We've never seen enough of Allen in a two to say he'd be good enough as a starter but Allen possesses those qualities needed more than Henderson. You're right that we've no seen evidence that Allen would work, but we have seen evidence that Henderson would not work.

And you could be right about training, or Klopp could have seen him as more of an impact player, which I'd be happy with next season (albeit Allen may not be happy). But a lot of the times when he played he was fantastic. Equaliser against Arsenal. We were beating United at Anfield but getting overran in midfield; Allen brought on and coincidentally we were in full control again. A lot of people were worried when Henderson got injured at Dortmund, yet Allen was outstanding in dictating our 4-1 win against Stoke a few days after. And then the 2nd leg of the Dortmund game, I remember on Twitter people crying out that we missed Henderson as we were 2-0 down at half time. But we missed Allen. Him coming on completely changed the game once again.

So whilst Allen is no world beater, if you're losing in a game, or have lost control and you have the choice to bring on Allen or Henderson, for me it's a no brainer.

Another random example was England vs Slovakia. England needed a goal, there were about 5 seconds of the match to go. Henderson has the ball in space in the centre circle. He has to play it forward obviously and he knows it. Yet he turns around, passes it back to a centre back, and the final whistle goes. I'm sorry but I do not want that cowardice mentality leading my club.
(edited 7 years ago)
Was very shocked to read this morning that Balotelli is still on your books. I was sure you'd sold him last summer.

Is he in Klopps plans? Or are you hoping for a £40m bid from Peking Duck FC in China like we are with Rooney?
Original post by sr90
Was very shocked to read this morning that Balotelli is still on your books. I was sure you'd sold him last summer.

Is he in Klopps plans? Or are you hoping for a £40m bid from Peking Duck FC in China like we are with Rooney?

No one wants him basically. Whilst I don't expect Klopp to be a **** to him, I'd expect him to be an outsider. He's had enough chances.
Original post by Samiz
We've never seen enough of Allen in a two to say he'd be good enough as a starter but Allen possesses those qualities needed more than Henderson. You're right that we've no seen evidence that Allen would work, but we have seen evidence that Henderson would not work.

And you could be right about training, or Klopp could have seen him as more of an impact player, which I'd be happy with next season (albeit Allen may not be happy). But a lot of the times when he played he was fantastic. Equaliser against Arsenal. We were beating United at Anfield but getting overran in midfield; Allen brought on and coincidentally we were in full control again. A lot of people were worried when Henderson got injured at Dortmund, yet Allen was outstanding in dictating our 4-1 win against Stoke a few days after. And then the 2nd leg of the Dortmund game, I remember on Twitter people crying out that we missed Henderson as we were 2-0 down at half time. But we missed Allen. Him coming on completely changed the game once again.

So whilst Allen is no world beater, if you're losing in a game, or have lost control and you have the choice to bring on Allen or Henderson, for me it's a no brainer.

Another random example was England vs Slovakia. England needed a goal, there were about 5 seconds of the match to go. Henderson has the ball in space in the centre circle. He has to play it forward obviously and he knows it. Yet he turns around, passes it back to a centre back, and the final whistle goes. I'm sorry but I do not want that cowardice mentality leading my club.

Pretty sure that Klopp views Allen as not having the physical attributes to be able to work in a midfield two. Even in the Europa League final, Klopp picked Milner ahead of Allen in the midfield. Allen seems to somehow have gotten better, the less he's played.

Anyway I'm not getting into the debate about whether Allen is better or worse than Henderson - I'm just pointing out all of the evidence from last season where Klopp has been around since October and yet a half-fit Henderson and James Milner were preferred ahead of Allen pretty much at all times. Throw in the contract situation and his age, I don't see how Allen stays.

Original post by sr90

We signed him on a 3 year contract. He messed around at Anfield for a year and then spent last year at AC Milan. The player has made it clear he doesn't want to be at Liverpool so as soon as anyone makes a bid, we'll let him go. I'm actually surprised that a Chinese club hasn't made a bid..

Latest