The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Biological Sciences applicants

Hi!

I've decided just to start a new thread for this years applicants. There are a bunch of threads which are totally dead (related to this course). This is also a thread where students of Biological sciences at Oxford can join, it would be really nice if you gave any advice.
I'll present myself. I am an international student.I have not done GCSEs. I am currently doing IB. Probably going to apply to St Hugh's.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Original post by BioOx
Bump

Hello there, let's try to resurrect this thread.

I'll be 21 in September 2017 so I'll be applying as a mature student.

I'm interested in tropical rainforest conservation, and I guess I'll apply to St Anne's.
Reply 3
Original post by welcomemat96
Hello there, let's try to resurrect this thread.

I'll be 21 in September 2017 so I'll be applying as a mature student.

I'm interested in tropical rainforest conservation, and I guess I'll apply to St Anne's.

I might also apply to St. Anne's :biggrin:
Current biology fresher and survivor of the Oxford admissions process here, heading to Hertford college this October :smile: If anyone has any questions feel free to ask :smile: :smile:
Reply 5
Hey everyone,
I already posted this somewhere else but maybe I can get input from here as well.
I am an American applying to the UK for medicine. For my 5th UCAS choice I was thinking of Biological Sciences at Oxford. But my problem is that my personal statement is geared towards becoming a doctor. In my PS I talk about how I want to be a doctor. I mention volunteering at a hospital and shadowing a private practice. I also talk about making an app for med students and working on a new idea related to catheters. The only kinda experience I have for Biology is a job teaching biology. I am passionate about Bio but decided to pursue medicine due to my particular interest in body systems.
I was wondering if it would be sensible to apply for the Biological Sciences course even though my statement isn't directly about it.
Some have told me universities are used to receiving PS that talk about medicine because they are aware that medics can only send one PS, while others have told me Oxford would throw away my PS.
Original post by pool99
Hey everyone,
I already posted this somewhere else but maybe I can get input from here as well.
I am an American applying to the UK for medicine. For my 5th UCAS choice I was thinking of Biological Sciences at Oxford. But my problem is that my personal statement is geared towards becoming a doctor. In my PS I talk about how I want to be a doctor. I mention volunteering at a hospital and shadowing a private practice. I also talk about making an app for med students and working on a new idea related to catheters. The only kinda experience I have for Biology is a job teaching biology. I am passionate about Bio but decided to pursue medicine due to my particular interest in body systems.
I was wondering if it would be sensible to apply for the Biological Sciences course even though my statement isn't directly about it.
Some have told me universities are used to receiving PS that talk about medicine because they are aware that medics can only send one PS, while others have told me Oxford would throw away my PS.

The problem is that the Oxford biology course in terms of content and modules is very different to the medicine one meaning that most of the content in your personal statement would be unrelated to the biology course. This may be disadvantageous as the admissions tutors may see it as you not having researched the course enough so may reject your personal statement. If you watch the 'Reasons most personal statements get rejected' video on the student rooms YouTube channel an Oxford admissions tutor does actually bring up the idea that if the content/ areas talked about in your personal statement isn't related to your specific courses content they would look at you less favourably. You have to remember the competitiveness of biology at Oxford (compared to other universities) so for them to consider you for interview they really want to see that you are passionate for that particular subject. If I were you I would apply for a biomedicine course as your fifth choice as the content is similar, however if you really wanted to put biology as your fifth choice then maybe read a couple of books/ watch documentaries related to some of the content on the biology course and try and maybe link them to your medicine stuff. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by pool99
Hey everyone,
I am passionate about Bio but decided to pursue medicine due to my particular interest in body systems.

The obvious question is, "So why aren't you applying for medicine at Oxford?"

I'm no expert, but from the pov of an Oxford application, it it's hard to think of a good answer. Two possibilities suggest themselves -

1) "Because medicine is so competitive, I thought it would be easier to get into Oxford Biological Sciences with a PS written for another subject i.e. it's a 5th choice consolation prize if I don't get in anywhere for my first choice subject"

The problem with this is self-evident.

2). "Because there is something so special about the Oxford Bio course that it overrides my determination to study Medicine anywhere (including Oxford)"

This is not really credible without some other evidence of your "passion" for Biology.

Like parrotperson says, Biomed Sci is a common default 5th choice for Medicine applicants, and you might consider this. But I wouldn't be too hopeful. Good luck, anyway.
Reply 8
Since I am applying as international there are quotas of about 15 international students for each med program. I am doubtful I will get in since I already have a low chance due to this and on top of that the competitiveness of Oxford. Plus I am not sure I would like to take the BMAT. If the UKCAT doesn't go as well as I would like I can definitely take that then I would switch my 5th course to biomes or something at Oxford.
Reply 9
Original post by Parrotperson
The problem is that the Oxford biology course in terms of content and modules is very different to the medicine one meaning that most of the content in your personal statement would be unrelated to the biology course. This may be disadvantageous as the admissions tutors may see it as you not having researched the course enough so may reject your personal statement. If you watch the 'Reasons most personal statements get rejected' video on the student rooms YouTube channel an Oxford admissions tutor does actually bring up the idea that if the content/ areas talked about in your personal statement isn't related to your specific courses content they would look at you less favourably. You have to remember the competitiveness of biology at Oxford (compared to other universities) so for them to consider you for interview they really want to see that you are passionate for that particular subject. If I were you I would apply for a biomedicine course as your fifth choice as the content is similar, however if you really wanted to put biology as your fifth choice then maybe read a couple of books/ watch documentaries related to some of the content on the biology course and try and maybe link them to your medicine stuff. Hope this helps :smile:

If I decide still apply to biology I think I should add a few books particular to Biology as well. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by pool99
If I decide still apply to biology I think I should add a few books particular to Biology as well. Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like a plan :smile: No problem, if you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask :smile: Good luck on your application :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by pool99

It might be a major drawback. Why are you applying to Oxford to read biological sciences. I do not want to be mean, but there are people that have wanted to be biochemists or biologists since forever. Your choice of choosing biology is likely going to imply that you either care abut the facilities and reputation that Oxford offers or you like Biology and Medicine equally. Do not be pulled by the reputation that Oxford might have. I would recommend making your PS more medicine related. Apply to Oxford for medicine or choose another university.

I hope that this helps.
Reply 12
If I were to apply to Biomedical sciences would a PS about medicine fit in. And I will add a few adjustments to tailor a little to biology like reading a book or two.
Hiya
I've applied to St John's for Biological Sciences:h:
Reply 14
Helloo,
I'm also an international student applying to the biological sciences course at worcestor college. I'm currently on my gap year- which means I already have my IB grades.. so hopefully that'll help my application:smile:
Good luck on all those still doing IB :wink:
Reply 15
I'm also an international student, I did an open application and was placed at Queen's. However, I got a rejection email yesterday. So, well, I'm pretty deveastated and I don't know what to do next. But good luck to you all :smile:
Reply 16
It is time for this thread to revive. Did you receive an interview invitation?!
Still waiting :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by BioOx

I did not.. So my plan is to ask for feedback and reapply next year (at another college), I can do better than this! I don't give up that easy :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by BioOx

I'm still waiting to hear something... you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending