The Student Room Group

Is English Language looked down upon by top universities?

I'm hoping to get into a top university to study History (currently, I'm trying to get into Cambridge). I have done History, English Literature and English Language in my AS Year (I did Biology but dropped it at Easter because I couldn't get above a U.It was wasting my time in the end, and I wanted to focus on my arts subjects as I'm more arts inclined).

I've been reading about blacklists and things, and I was wondering if English Language is looked down upon by top universities?
Language is not a facilitating subject, but you'll be fine because you've got History and Lit.
Reply 2
I did English Language, History and Religious Studies at A2 (+English Lit/Crit Thinking at AS) and I'm an offer holder for Cambridge (and I got offers from all 4 of my other choices) - you'll be fine :smile: You don't necessarily 'need' all facilitating subjects to get into uni, it's more that they give a good variety of subjects at uni you can choose from.
Original post by rhensis
I did English Language, History and Religious Studies at A2 (+English Lit/Crit Thinking at AS) and I'm an offer holder for Cambridge (and I got offers from all 4 of my other choices) - you'll be fine :smile: You don't necessarily 'need' all facilitating subjects to get into uni, it's more that they give a good variety of subjects at uni you can choose from.

Congratulations for your Cambridge offer! I'm glad you don't need all facilitating subjects, and I will be fine. But, when it comes to Cambridge, will I be disadvantaged because I only have three AS levels (although they don't count much under the new system)? I am very good at History, and I find English Language a breeze, so I feel like I could pull off A*AA, or even A*A*A.

English literature is slightly harder but the head of department said I'll easily get an A grade in it at A2. It's just I didn't do critical thinking and I dropped my fourth subject before I sat the exam so there is no proof I ever did Biology.
Reply 4
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Congratulations for your Cambridge offer! I'm glad you don't need all facilitating subjects, and I will be fine. But, when it comes to Cambridge, will I be disadvantaged because I only have three AS levels (although they don't count much under the new system)? I am very good at History, and I find English Language a breeze, so I feel like I could pull off A*AA, or even A*A*A.

English literature is slightly harder but the head of department said I'll easily get an A grade in it at A2. It's just I didn't do critical thinking and I dropped my fourth subject before I sat the exam so there is no proof I ever did Biology.

It's hard to say, especially since the AS changes, but there will be schools that aren't allowing the sitting of 4 AS anymore so you won't be alone. I wouldn't worry too much though since your 4th AS would have been basically irrelevant to your course and even worse if you'd had a poor prediction in it, and they have new admissions exams which will directly relate to History, so I'd just focus on displaying your enthusiasm for History instead of worrying about a 4th AS which you can't change! :smile:
Original post by rhensis
It's hard to say, especially since the AS changes, but there will be schools that aren't allowing the sitting of 4 AS anymore so you won't be alone. I wouldn't worry too much though since your 4th AS would have been basically irrelevant to your course and even worse if you'd had a poor prediction in it, and they have new admissions exams which will directly relate to History, so I'd just focus on displaying your enthusiasm for History instead of worrying about a 4th AS which you can't change! :smile:

My enthusiasm for History is great (and I'm talented at it) so I'm just hoping it makes up for it. If I don't get AAA/AAB (we didn't have a proper teacher at AS for English lit and according to a current law student at Kings that I befriended, they'll allow extenuating circumstances as long as I get an A the following year which I can) at AS. I'm just going to try for A*A*A and apply with my A2 grades (and another A* if EPQ is included).

Thank-you so much! I'll just focus on the entry exams, independent reading, and hope I pull through on results day. :smile:
Reply 6
I'm hoping to get into a top university to study History (currently, I'm trying to get into Cambridge). I have done History, English Literature and English Language in my AS Year (I did Biology but dropped it at Easter because I couldn't get above a U.It was wasting my time in the end, and I wanted to focus on my arts subjects as I'm more arts inclined).

I've been reading about blacklists and things, and I was wondering if English Language is looked down upon by top universities?

You should be fine

Although the combined 'English Language and Literature' course ASFAIK isn't as well regarded as the separate English Language A-level.
Original post by jamestg
You should be fine

Although the combined 'English Language and Literature' course ASFAIK isn't as well regarded as the separate English Language A-level.

I do English literature and English language separately :smile:
Reply 8

i study english language and i got offers from nottingham and manchester for maths and they're Brussel groups
Reply 9
Original post by rhensis

well done on your Cambridge offer !!!
I do English literature and English language separately :smile:

Cracking! You should be fine!
Original post by jamestg
Cracking! You should be fine!

Nice one! Thanks :smile:

Original post by fefssdf
i study english language and i got offers from nottingham and manchester for maths and they're Brussel groups

Oh congratulations, good luck for Nottingham or Manchester!
Nice one! Thanks :smile:

Oh congratulations, good luck for Nottingham or Manchester!

thanks i will need it has

Quick Reply

Latest