The Student Room Group

My parents won't let me drive alone

So I got my full licence a month ago and have driven my car with my dad in it still. They won't let me drive my car on my own still, even though they keep telling me how proud they are that I passed my test first time and how good of a driver I am. My dad says that I can but every time I say I'm going to drive somewhere he makes an excuse for why I can't.
It's incredibly embarrassing because all my friends drove on their own as soon as they passed and now I have to lie to them and my old instructor telling them that I have driven on my own. So when my friends invite me round theirs I have to say no because I can't get there (my parents won't take me and im not aloud to drive myself).
Also I bought the car myself and I pay the insurance and tax.

What should I do to get them to let me drive my self.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you tried to talk to your parents and explain to them how you feel? I can see that they are trying to protect you however they need to understand that that is hurting you and damaging you. Ask them about their feeling and see why they don't want you to drive alone. Communication can sometimes be magical.
Reply 2
Original post by Sgt.Golden
Have you tried to talk to your parents and explain to them how you feel? I can see that they are trying to protect you however they need to understand that that is hurting you and damaging you. Ask them about their feeling and see why they don't want you to drive alone. Communication can sometimes be magical.

I have spoken to them and they say they don't mind me driving on my own, but every time I want to they make up an excuse for why I can't that day. My dad acts like I'm a learner when I go out with him still and I'm afraid that I will never progress or get the confidence if I have him telling me what to do all the time.
Original post by unihelp98
I have spoken to them and they say they don't mind me driving on my own, but every time I want to they make up an excuse for why I can't that day. My dad acts like I'm a learner when I go out with him still and I'm afraid that I will never progress or get the confidence if I have him telling me what to do all the time.

Have you tried just picking up the keys, walking out of the house and getting in the car and driving? Not sure how you can't find a circumstance where a conversation with your parents isn't required, before you go out for a drive.
Aww you are their little baby. The reason they are going in your car is because you are letting them. Ever heard of the word "no"?
Wait I'm sorry you bought the car yourself and you pay the insurance and tax too?

Have a sit down with them and you need to talk to him and say exactly what you've said above.Be confident when saying it too and let them know you're being serious.

If it was their car you wouldn't even mind so much..would still be weird but...

Why do they feel the need to be in the car with you all the time?That is the question. What was the point in you even
getting lessons and a car if they are going to be in it with you 24/7? Car allows people to be independent (especially
when they pay for it themselves)

When I passed me test (quite some time back) I went on the motorway for the first time and drove nearly 200 miles by myself. My mum told me she was confident in me as a driver too. So if your parents are happy with your driving they need to just leave you be.

I promise you now if, when I had bought my car my mum or anyone for that matter insisted on coming with me everywhere I'd tell them no and that would be the end of the discussion.

Sometimes parents think they are doing the right thing and they think well we're the parents so we know best but in this case they need to give you a break.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
Have you tried just picking up the keys, walking out of the house and getting in the car and driving? Not sure how you can't find a circumstance where a conversation with your parents isn't required, before you go out for a drive.

I would love to do that but my car is in a garage a couple of roads away and only my dad has keys for the garage so I have to ask him to get it out for me
I would love to do that but my car is in a garage a couple of roads away and only my dad has keys for the garage so I have to ask him to get it out for me

...and you're paying your own insurance, tax etc? I'd just park it outside your house, if your dad asks why just tell him you'd just like to be able to access it when you like, you're paying for it so why shouldn't you be able to?
Reply 8

How old are you? 18? Or older?

They sound controlling even though it's out of concern. You need to say to your dad, how would he have liked it if his parents did what he is and your mother. Say let me go with my friends in my car alone. I'll be back (insert time) once they are confident they'll ease off I think. Or, lie. Say you want to wash the car, get keys drive off. And face the arguments after. But show how you managed to drive alone and return alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by WoodyMKC
...and you're paying your own insurance, tax etc? I'd just park it outside your house, if your dad asks why just tell him you'd just like to be able to access it when you like, you're paying for it so why shouldn't you be able to?

My insurance says it has to be parked in a garage over night, that's how I can afford it myself. Ergh it's so difficult, I have no idea why I even bothered to learn to drive
Reply 10
Original post by SMEGGGY
How old are you? 18? Or older?

They sound controlling even though it's out of concern. You need to say to your dad, how would he have liked it if his parents did what he is and your mother. Say let me go with my friends in my car alone. I'll be back (insert time) once they are confident they'll ease off I think. Or, lie. Say you want to wash the car, get keys drive off. And face the arguments after. But show how you managed to drive alone and return alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 18. If I did that my parents would probably take the keys away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending