The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Datta10
I've firmed UCL for computer science and insured KCL, fingers crossed for 2 A's in FM and physics

Hopefully u achieve that, good luck!! I'm hoping to take gap year to study maths and ucl or imperial so I need to take STEP. Let me know if u can how u did on results day
Original post by Datta10
I've firmed UCL for computer science and insured KCL, fingers crossed for 2 A's in FM and physics

Nice, me too (for physics though)

Original post by MarocMan
Hopefully u achieve that, good luck!! I'm hoping to take gap year to study maths and ucl or imperial so I need to take STEP. Let me know if u can how u did on results day

Hmm.... people are usually *mad* busy on results day
Original post by kelvin1338
I made a very stupid and simple mistake in the exam.
http://imgur.com/3NzIKAy
The blue writing is the correct version. The red writing was what I did in the exam. I got the first part (proof) correct. The second part, I misread the question and forgot to flip the fraction around before integrating. How many marks do you think I'd get out of 5? Certainly there's method marks for showing my substitution in and substituting the original thing back in... this has been worrying me all day since the exam because my A* overall in FM depends on these 5 marks :frown:

Made the same mistake, in the same damn position....:frown::frown::frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by P____P
Made the same mistake, in the same damn position....:frown::frown::frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. I'm so annoyed because this exact same question has been asked before (the same values as well) in June 2012...

Also I'd have secured the A* in FM for sure if I had got those 3-5 marks but now I'm in suspense for the entire holiday

I've looked at previous mark schemes and we'd get minimum 2 out of 5
(edited 7 years ago)
are these raw marks enough for an A* (WORST CASE
FP2 71
FP3 70
M2 67
Original post by solid222
are these raw marks enough for an A* (WORST CASE
FP2 71
FP3 70
M2 67

Likely. I did the exact same three as you. I'm thinking the A* boundaries this year will be 67 for FP2, 70 for FP3 and 68 for M2
Likely. I did the exact same three as you. I'm thinking the A* boundaries this year will be 67 for FP2, 70 for FP3 and 68 for M2

yeah depends on grade boundries........ but everyone is saying this years papers were easier.
Original post by solid222
yeah depends on grade boundries........ but everyone is saying this years papers were easier.

FP3 was certainly one of the easiest papers since the syllabus came out in 2009, since most of the questions were checkable on the calculator and there wasn't a challenging reduction formula or conics question

M2 was of a similar difficulty to previous years

FP2 was harder than the previous years due to the 1st order DE question, but every other question was standard so I'm expecting slightly lower grade boundaries than the past 2 years (where it's been 70 and 71 for an A*)

I am in a similar situation to you, I got 90UMS in D2 last year, and I'm expecting 72/75 in FP3 and 68/75 in FP2 so it'll be a close one :smile:
FP3 was certainly one of the easiest papers since the syllabus came out in 2009, since most of the questions were checkable on the calculator and there wasn't a challenging reduction formula or conics question

M2 was of a similar difficulty to previous years

FP2 was harder than the previous years due to the 1st order DE question, but every other question was standard so I'm expecting slightly lower grade boundaries than the past 2 years (where it's been 70 and 71 for an A*)

I am in a similar situation to you, I got 90UMS in D2 last year, and I'm expecting 72/75 in FP3 and 68/75 in FP2 so it'll be a close one :smile:

67/75 ums?
Original post by target21859
67/75 ums?

For M2? I say ~87 UMS. You never know, you may end up with 90+
For M2? I say ~87 UMS. You never know, you may end up with 90+

Oh I meant fp3. I think I got 72-73/75 in m2 and 73-75/75 in fp2. A* if worst case scenario? I should have easily gotten 100 ums in that paper it was one of the easiest we've had but I misread a question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh I meant fp3. I think I got 72-73/75 in m2 and 73-75/75 in fp2. A* if worst case scenario? I should have easily gotten 100 ums in that paper it was one of the easiest we've had but I misread a question.

Welcome to the FP3 misread crew. 67/75 should be about 85 UMS but your other two modules will drag it up to an A* anyway
Welcome to the FP3 misread crew. 67/75 should be about 85 UMS but your other two modules will drag it up to an A* anyway

Results day is so far away. Asking about grade boundaries on here is pointless I know but I just can't stop thinking about whether or not I'll get an A*. I wish I went to bed earlier on that day. Oh well just 1 month and 14 days to go...Enough time to watch all of game of thrones before my friends spoil it for me :wink:
Results day is so far away. Asking about grade boundaries on here is pointless I know but I just can't stop thinking about whether or not I'll get an A*. I wish I went to bed earlier on that day. Oh well just 1 month and 14 days to go...Enough time to watch all of game of thrones before my friends spoil it for me :wink:

If anything, I should be more worried than you about the A* in further maths because you did so good in M2 and FP2, and your FP3 seemed to have went well too aha. I'm like right on the boundary and it would have been completely secured if only I didn't misread that question :frown:

And yeah, it's better just to save the worry for later when results day is nearer :smile: good luck
How many out of 3 would this get me?image.jpg
Original post by Olymedeus
How many out of 3 would this get me?image.jpg

1 MAX for an attempt to expand however you may get 0 as with your method there is a considerable amount of more work to get the final show that and it's not the intended 'easier' method
Also, how many marks out of 7? What's in blue is the incorrect stuff. I worked out I3 correctly.image.jpg
Original post by Foutre en L'air
1 MAX for an attempt to expand however you may get 0 as with your method there is a considerable amount of more work to get the final show that and it's not the intended 'easier' method

This would be the complete method. Would you still stay I could get 0? I'd be happy with 1...:frown:image.png
Original post by Olymedeus
This would be the complete method. Would you still stay I could get 0? I'd be happy with 1...:frown:image.png

I know the whole method don't worry that's actually the way I did it in the exam so I had similar thinking to you! I do think you'll get 1 for an "attempt to expand and use of DA formula" but obviously I can't guarantee that! I'm sure you'll be fine!
Original post by Foutre en L'air
I know the whole method don't worry that's actually the way I did it in the exam so I had similar thinking to you! I do think you'll get 1 for an "attempt to expand and use of DA formula" but obviously I can't guarantee that! I'm sure you'll be fine!

I did it a similar way but I did the LHS to RHS way like a show that. Surely they can't mark it as wrong even though it is definitely correct because it is not in the mark scheme. There are so many methods that could be used for other questions so the mark scheme can't possibly have them all. Are the papers marked by maths teachers or people with a good knowledge of maths? ie so they can see that the method is correct and then give marks for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending