The Student Room Group

Got a First Class Degree but a lot of my family are extremely jealous. What to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Princepieman

I wonder what kind of people work for TSR hey...
Reply 21
Original post by marco14196
A first class in WHAT though? Not all degrees are created equal at the end of the day

Computing with Networking! It is not an easy degree, check the stats. I am happy with the outcome of the result
Reply 22
Original post by InvestmentBankin
So what did you do at university?

Computing with networking! Not an easy degree I can tell you for sure. Programming in itself is not an easy concept to grasp and I can go on and on. I never enjoyed university socially due to the fact that my university had a lack of societies and parties - but I loved it academically
Reply 23
Original post by ?Hannah
You have done brilliantly!
Your family should be supporting you! Since they are obviously not, don't let that hold you back! Go out there and put your degree to use - get a good job that you enjoy and that hopefully pays well!
Hopefully, your family will soon change their ways regarding your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope so. I am still happy with my outcome and I know that I will get a better job than them - but hey, it is their loss and not mine. I will still try and root for them even though they never did for me
Reply 24
Original post by AndrewSCO
Sounds like stealth "look at me" threads to me

If you say so my friend LOL
Original post by samklipas0
I wonder what kind of people work for TSR hey...

I'm a volunteer :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

So I recently received my results and was awarded an overall First class degree. I was expecting this and I fully deserved it for all my hard work and effort and I was proud and happy for it.

After telling all my cousins and family about it - a lot of them were noticeably very jealous. They were saying "Oh" or even not congratulating me and this really annoyed me and upset me. The people who I have done favours for and the people who I thought would share the same love and support I had for them - just did not seem happy for me. A lot of my school friends, however felt happy for me.

The thing is, this in itself has already put me off. If the people who I call family, are noticably jealous of my success, what do I do in the future when I get married, get my first house and also go through my worries in my life? I don't think they will support me in tough times if they can't even simply congratulate me! It is shocking.

I know people will say "forget them" or "you don't need them" - but that is easier said than done.

What should I do?

The first thing you should do is get them all together in a room. Say by texting them and saying that you have something important you have to tell them.

Then you sit them down and you say the following:

"Go **** yourselves", followed by the words "na, na, na, na, na I have a first class and you don't na, na, na, na, na"

Then you give a big Dr Evil laugh and walk out to leave them in their **** life of poverty.
Hi,

So I recently received my results and was awarded an overall First class degree. I was expecting this and I fully deserved it for all my hard work and effort and I was proud and happy for it.

After telling all my cousins and family about it - a lot of them were noticeably very jealous. They were saying "Oh" or even not congratulating me and this really annoyed me and upset me. The people who I have done favours for and the people who I thought would share the same love and support I had for them - just did not seem happy for me. A lot of my school friends, however felt happy for me.

The thing is, this in itself has already put me off. If the people who I call family, are noticably jealous of my success, what do I do in the future when I get married, get my first house and also go through my worries in my life? I don't think they will support me in tough times if they can't even simply congratulate me! It is shocking.

I know people will say "forget them" or "you don't need them" - but that is easier said than done.

What should I do?

i have uno solushon

so BASICALLY THE BASIC u have too burn the degree and tell them it set FIIIIIIREEEEEE TO THE RAAAAINN
Original post by stephenb1608
The first thing you should do is get them all together in a room. Say by texting them and saying that you have something important you have to tell them.

"Go **** yourselves", followed by the words "na, na, na, na, na I have a first class and you don't na, na, na, na, na"

Then you give a big Dr Evil laugh and walk out to leave them in their **** life of poverty.

hey thats COOL man
Reply 29
Original post by stephenb1608

LOL. If only I was that evil. I am quite a nice guy in reality and probably deep down, I would still be happy for these ****ers
Computing with Networking! It is not an easy degree, check the stats. I am happy with the outcome of the result

That's a good degree my boy. Thumbs up.
Reply 31
Original post by marco14196
That's a good degree my boy. Thumbs up.

Yeah Yeah!! Thumbs up
Hi,

The thing is, this in itself has alreatdy put me off. If the people who I call family, are noticably jealous of my success, what do I do in the future when I get married, get my first house and also go through my worries in my life? I don't think they will support me in tough times if they can't even simply congratulate me! It is shocking.

What should I do?

You need to tell them all individually how it made you feel when they did not congratulate you because it is important to find out their reasons or this will always be at the back of your mind and will make you resent them and you will not want to spend much time with them because of this.

When people, not family or friends tell me they have a degree i couldnt give a **** but i can't tell them that so i just pretend and congratulate them or say well done because i don't want to hurt their feelings because i know it's something that is important to them. I never had those feelings before of not caring when someone told me they have a degree but i started feeling that way after an employment advisor on a work programme taunted me once by shouting at me and saying " I have a degree, what qualifications have you got ? " But she told me before she was offered a job as an employment advisor she could not get any job so she had to work in a betting office but she would never work as a cleaner but would try to get me to take cleaning jobs And people who work in job centre's that have a degree or other qualifications think they are better than anyone that does not and will never tell you about any good, well paid jobs like Admin, Reception, etc but only steer you towards cleaning, care, shelf filling, retail and other low paid jobs and they are the worst idiots on the planet that have no common sense and think they are better than everybody else.
So because of that I really don't care when anyone tells me they have a degree.

Maybe they feel the same that they think it's not important but they could have at least congratulated you anyway but every body is different and we all react in different ways.
When i eventually tell my family that i am going to college to do a music course i can guarantee you that they will not congratulate me because they would prefer i did a business course or something other than music but i don't care for their opinion, it's what i always wanted to do and it's important to me just like your degree is important to you

Whenever i have told my mum i am applying for a job or if i said i have got an interview she never congratulates me the first thing she say's is , I bet you won't get the job or They won't employ you. And when i got a part time job for christmas in BHS in 2013 the first thing she said was, Is it working in the back ?
She did not think anyone would pay me to work with members of the public but only working in the back where the warehouse is. And all my family told me not to do it because i wont be able to live on the money but guess what ? I never listen to my family anyway or any person or employment advisors who tell me negative things.
I used to get upset when my mum said things like that as i've had to put up with her saying these things my whole life but now i don't care anymore. But sometimes i don't even tell her until i do actually get a job because i don't want to hear that kind of negativity as it puts me off but it never stops me trying and applying for jobs.

You say you have a degree
I could'nt give a ****
I'm not jealous
I'm just being a *****

I tend to try to practice writing lyrics from different subjects so don't take offence
But look at it like those words above then maybe it won't upset you so much if
someone else does not show any enthusiasm because maybe that's how they feel and they just don't understand how hard you worked to get it and that it is a personal achievement.
Nobody will truly understand what it's like to have a degree unless they have one themselves so they can't express their happiness for you but they still should have at least congratulated you so that was wrong.
I should not let one person boasting about their degree cloud my judgement of other people with degrees but unfortunaely i have, even though it happened
years ago I have never forgotten what she said but that's my hang up
I don't know what your family's problem is this is why you need to ask them
Hi,

What should I do?

Go to the gym, get ripped. A few months down the line wear a vest with your transcript printed with the quote: 'Don't hate me because you ain't me'

If it doesn't get resolved, then leave the EU, go and become successful and have a dig at them all when you have your first TV interview.

If it still doesn't get resolved then just have a mud bath then climb Everest and have a snowball fight with monk whilst screaming about how unfair life is. Be sure to eat some camel meat on your quest and also to learn the function of the subclavius muscle. If you have some spare time then sing kumbaya to a whale and make out with the girl/guy of your dreams

If everything fails then.... Well just move on and don't give one about what anyone thinks! :smile:
I really hope so. I am still happy with my outcome and I know that I will get a better job than them - but hey, it is their loss and not mine. I will still try and root for them even though they never did for me

where did you go to uni? :smile:
Any tips on how you got the first class.
Reply 36
Original post by Abbas78600
Any tips on how you got the first class.

A lot of hard work, a lack of a social life, no Twitter, Facebook AND Instagram and most importantly good monthly catch ups with my academic tutors.

This degree was not luck that is for sure and my second year grades were not that great. This was my main drive in the final year. Also i sacrificed on sleep and constantly bugged my lecturers about coursework and what not. For group work, I chose to work with hard working students which included 2.1 students - who were also eager on doing well.

All in all, the biggest sacrifice was a lack of a social life and I will never regret that - because that was what got me that degree
Reply 37
Original post by lawlieto
where did you go to uni? :smile:

I am not saying :P. All I can say is that it is a UK top 35 university
I am not saying :P. All I can say is that it is a UK top 35 university

Still fairly easy to work out ahaha.

If it was top 10, you'd say top 10, if it was top 20 you'd say top 20 but as you said top 35 it's between 20 and 35. Double check which unis offer a computing with networking course > bingo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Princepieman
Still fairly easy to work out ahaha.

If it was top 10, you'd say top 10, if it was top 20 you'd say top 20 but as you said top 35 it's between 20 and 35. Double check which unis offer a computing with networking course > bingo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you care anyway? I could have easily have just made that up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending