The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
We signed him on a 3 year contract. He messed around at Anfield for a year and then spent last year at AC Milan. The player has made it clear he doesn't want to be at Liverpool so as soon as anyone makes a bid, we'll let him go. I'm actually surprised that a Chinese club hasn't made a bid..

Could be a Jose Enrique type situation where nobody wants him and he won't take a paycut... at least you've only got him another year
Original post by sr90
Could be a Jose Enrique type situation where nobody wants him and he won't take a paycut... at least you've only got him another year

I think at the start of the season, we had plans to keep Enrique as cover (so Moreno and Enrique were LB options) but then Rodgers decided Gomez would work there once the season started.

By January it was obvious that Enrique needed to be gone but obviously he was happy to sit out his contract but he's 30 and unlikely to get another big contract.

Balotelli on the other hand is still only 25. What value is there in wasting a year of his prime years for an extra couple of million? He'd make more money by having a good year of football in the long term.
Mane reported to be the only big money signing this summer so far. However the club are keeping the door ajar for Gotze if he changes his mind late in the transfer window.

Can you imagine our attacking options being - Coutinho, Gotze, Firmino, Mane, Lallana, Milner and Markovic? I imagine the latter would go out on loan again if Gotze moved..
Mane reported to be the only big money signing this summer so far. However the club are keeping the door ajar for Gotze if he changes his mind late in the transfer window.

Can you imagine our attacking options being - Coutinho, Gotze, Firmino, Mane, Lallana, Milner and Markovic? I imagine the latter would go out on loan again if Gotze moved..

I wanted Götze and I still do but nowhere near as much as I did before the Euros, especially after his performances. Obviously can't conventionally compare him to Manè, but the latter gives more balance and dynamic to a front 3 consisting of Coutinho and Firmino.

I can see Markovic going as he's unlikely to even get on the bench at the moment. Benches usually contain the keeper, 2 defenders, a midfielder and that leaves space for 3 attackers. If hypothetically our front 4 were Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Sturridge, we'd have Origi, Ings, Lallana, maybe Milner, Markovic, maybe even Balotelli and possibly a youth player (Ojo or Canos) fighting for 3 spots. I'd expect Origi, Ings and Lallana to be the shoe ins. So with Markovic's age I doubt he'd be happy playing reserve team football for the rest of the season. Also that's why I don't think we'll sign another attacker (unless one or two leave). Obviously we need squad depth but especially if we sign another forward there'll be one or two of the more experienced players missing out every week. I guess preseason will determine a lot of this.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think at the start of the season, we had plans to keep Enrique as cover (so Moreno and Enrique were LB options) but then Rodgers decided Gomez would work there once the season started.

By January it was obvious that Enrique needed to be gone but obviously he was happy to sit out his contract but he's 30 and unlikely to get another big contract.

Balotelli on the other hand is still only 25. What value is there in wasting a year of his prime years for an extra couple of million? He'd make more money by having a good year of football in the long term.

I completely forgot Gomez existed. Is he still injured?
If klopp has to play a 433 to fit allen. Then he should.

U can't play 4231 everywhere u go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interesting to hear the noises surrounding Markovic, with the club keen to make it seem as if he has a future. With Mane coming in for such a hefty fee, and Klopp lamenting a lack of wingers, it makes sense to utilise the lads we've already got - because new signings won't want to join a side where they know they'll be playing a bit part role. Hopefully Markovic gets game time this season. He clearly struggled in 2014-15, due to a combination of factors, but he has an abundance of natural ability and raw pace, which our three-pronged attack behind Sturridge severely lacks.
Original post by Mackay
Interesting to hear the noises surrounding Markovic, with the club keen to make it seem as if he has a future. With Mane coming in for such a hefty fee, and Klopp lamenting a lack of wingers, it makes sense to utilise the lads we've already got - because new signings won't want to join a side where they know they'll be playing a bit part role. Hopefully Markovic gets game time this season. He clearly struggled in 2014-15, due to a combination of factors, but he has an abundance of natural ability and raw pace, which our three-pronged attack behind Sturridge severely lacks.

Marko won't play

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samiz
I wanted Götze and I still do but nowhere near as much as I did before the Euros, especially after his performances. Obviously can't conventionally compare him to Manè, but the latter gives more balance and dynamic to a front 3 consisting of Coutinho and Firmino.

I can see Markovic going as he's unlikely to even get on the bench at the moment. Benches usually contain the keeper, 2 defenders, a midfielder and that leaves space for 3 attackers. If hypothetically our front 4 were Coutinho, Firmino, Mane, Sturridge, we'd have Origi, Ings, Lallana, maybe Milner, Markovic, maybe even Balotelli and possibly a youth player (Ojo or Canos) fighting for 3 spots. I'd expect Origi, Ings and Lallana to be the shoe ins. So with Markovic's age I doubt he'd be happy playing reserve team football for the rest of the season. Also that's why I don't think we'll sign another attacker (unless one or two leave). Obviously we need squad depth but especially if we sign another forward there'll be one or two of the more experienced players missing out every week. I guess preseason will determine a lot of this.

Well Klopp knows what he would get from Gotze and obviously they have a great relationship. I just wouldn't be surprised if we got him at the 11th hour.

Yes we have a lot of players and not as many games but we don't really have pace in the side. Other than Mane now, who else is quick? At least Markovic would give that option. I imagine Klopp will keep him till January to get a closer look/have another option and then in January we can send on loan if he's not getting any game time.

Original post by sr90
I completely forgot Gomez existed. Is he still injured?

He suffered an ACL injury at a similar time to Danny Ings. We saw Ings get a few minutes at the end of last season so I'd expect to see Gomez in pre-season.

Original post by Mackay

Markovic has had 2 seasons where his career hasn't really progressed so he won't get a move to a big club - he'd have to drop down and prove himself again first. Makes sense for him to try and impress Klopp imo. We lack pace in the side (other than Mane) with Ibe completely off the boil and Ojo still young.
For those who like to dream, Dahoud liked an Instagram post of Klopp and Buvac at Melwood earlier
Original post by Samiz
For those who like to dream, Dahoud liked an Instagram post of Klopp and Buvac at Melwood earlier

Being a footballer must be so fun.

Just like random pics of Wenger and watch the Arsenal thread have an excited implosion...
The new training kit range is horrible.

Fair play to Liverpool Ladies, by the way. I know we don't discuss them a lot - but they beat Everton in the cup and have progressed, so that's always nice for the club.*
Palace submit improved offer for Benteke. £27m + add-ons which will get to £31.5m.
Original post by mr tim
Palace submit improved offer for Benteke. £27m + add-ons which will get to £31.5m.

Too quick - I was about to post that.

Tbh I would accept that bid rather than drag it out. What's the point in having Benteke come back to pre-season to try and get a few more million from C.Palace? Let the player leave before upsetting people + CP will be happy to get the player in as soon as possible for pre-season.

Would mean we've pretty much recouped what we spent - around Xmas I was thinking we'd be lucky to get £15-20mil!
Too quick - I was about to post that.

Tbh I would accept that bid rather than drag it out. What's the point in having Benteke come back to pre-season to try and get a few more million from C.Palace? Let the player leave before upsetting people + CP will be happy to get the player in as soon as possible for pre-season.

Would mean we've pretty much recouped what we spent - around Xmas I was thinking we'd be lucky to get £15-20mil!

I think the club will accept the offer tbh.
Gets us nearly everything we spent back even though Benteke had a terrible season.

Frees up wages too and makes it so that we "effectively" spent nothing on Mané
It's clear footballers are worth different amounts to different clubs. Benteke is undoubtedly a £30m player for a team like Villa, or Palace. He'll win them points on his own. It's a shame he didn't work out, but if he leaves after a solitary season, he's not the biggest transfer mistake we've ever made. He won us numerous points over the course of the season by grabbing the only goal of the game.
Wonder if rumours of us going in for Pjaca are true - he looked absolutely dynamite for Croatia.

Needs to work on his composure a little but he breezes past players as easily as Coutinho does.
Original post by SUGar Daddy
- still see a chance of both Gotze and Dahoud; playing hardball isn't in Gotze's interests or Gladbach's (given he won't sign a contract and they'll lose him for 10m next summer otherwise)

The issue with the Dahoud transfer could be Gladbach being (understandably) unwilling to let go of three of their best midfielders, and even players, in one window. Doing so would hardly be promising PR for them.
Original post by Mackay
The issue with the Dahoud transfer could be Gladbach being (understandably) unwilling to let go of three of their best midfielders, and even players, in one window. Doing so would hardly be promising PR for them.

Nordtveit plays CB mainly and they've already brought in a World Cup winner to replace Xhaka.

Gladbach seem to be in good financial health but a 30m bid is more than a quarter of their last reported revenue. They've had a new TV deal and reached CL since then but we're talking their equivalent of us selling Coutinho for 80m. That's a lot of money for a player in his penultimate year, who'll see his value drop 50% or more next year.
Original post by SUGar Daddy
Nordtveit plays CB mainly and they've already brought in a World Cup winner to replace Xhaka.

Gladbach seem to be in good financial health but a 30m bid is more than a quarter of their last reported revenue. They've had a new TV deal and reached CL since then but we're talking their equivalent of us selling Coutinho for 80m. That's a lot of money for a player in his penultimate year, who'll see his value drop 50% or more next year.

Welcome back? Unless I missed another account.

I wonder if Gladbach think they can convince Dahoud to sign a new contract? He must be on very low wages and they'll pitch it as - "we'll give you a new contract with a release clause so you can go next summer but use one more season of development where we will have you play every game and you could have an even bigger move".

Latest