The Student Room Group

Stressed about having to resit an exam.

I became ill in one of my end of first year exams. I was 3 marks short of a pass for the module. I have mitigating circumstances. Am I looking at a resit?
Original post by Anonymous
I became ill in one of my end of first year exams. I was 3 marks short of a pass for the module. I have mitigating circumstances. Am I looking at a resit?

If you have mitigating circumstances, you need to communicate that with the appropriate people around exam time. I fear that it is too late now, if you haven't done anything about it.

Have a look at your course handbook (or equivalent) and what they say about passing, requirements of particular modules or lackthereof, etc. For example, some units at my uni, you have to resit if you don't get above 40 in. Others, if you get between 35-39 then it's okay, as long as you don't get 3 or more of those units. But this is just an example of what happens at my uni and you need to find out (it should be online somewhere) what the procedure is for your university.

I know it's very stressful (because I may or may not be in the same position for one or two of my units come results day) so I feel your pain, and best of luck - I hope that you don't have to go through the bother of resitting it.
Reply 2
My mitigating circumstances were submitted on time with medical evidence. They said I have to wait for the decision of the exam board, but, I'm wondering if I should start revising now as resits are in August sometime.
Thank you for replying. Pass mark was 40% for the whole module. I got 37%.
Original post by Anonymous
My mitigating circumstances were submitted on time with medical evidence. They said I have to wait for the decision of the exam board, but, I'm wondering if I should start revising now as resits are in August sometime.
Thank you for replying. Pass mark was 40% for the whole module. I got 37%.

Oh okay, that's good.Whether they've taken into account your mitigating circumstances or not in that result, I do not know.

I don't know when that decision is made, but I imagine that it is soon and that resits are mid-august. This leaves you about 2 months to revise for one module. If the decision is 1 month away (I would highly doubt it though) then it may be worth doing some work, but otherwise, if it's a week or two into the future, then I personally wouldn't bother until a decision is made, and then if it turns out that a resit needs to be done, that's when the hard work needs to be done.

Not to get your hopes up, but in your situation I would hope that one of two things happen: that they either take into account your circumstances and let you off, or that it's fine anyway to get one module that was very close to passing.

But again, check with your uni and the rules (it should be online somewhere).
Reply 4
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending