The Student Room Group

[PETITION] Make Eid a National Holiday

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Samosa
A day or two off extra per year isn't going to be a huge issue tbh :lol:

It is to me.
It's unfair to the people they work with leaving them short.
It's unfair to those who don't celebrate it as they have to work and don't get extra days off.
It's unproductive to businesses to allow some of their workforce to F off for a few days.
Original post by AccountingBabe
It is to me.
It's unfair to those who don't celebrate it as they have to work and don't get extra days off.
It's unproductive to businesses to allow some of their workforce to F off for a few days.

How about allowing people to use their annual leave for their religious holidays?

Bearing in mind, Muslims won't know when eid is until a day or two before it, so businesses would have to accept late requests for a day off.
It is to me.

Well hey, you don't have the authority to say "work or quit". Leave it to parliament and employers to choose to.

I can guarantee you businesses owned by religion people (any religion) will let their employees take a day off, with or without the holiday being nationalised.
Only if other religions are allowed national holidays for their religious festivals, otherwise it's special treatment.
Reply 24
No. The point of national holidays was that we celebrate the major events in the main religious group in the country and Christians still massively out number Muslims. And suggesting this at a time when there is much hostility towards the Muslim community due to attacks by extremist Muslims do you really think the general public would be too impressed with this? I will also say I will not support this until Primarily Muslim countries have similar bids for Christmas being allowed... rather than executing and persecuting the Christians in their country. I also agree with the others Christians have to take leave for every religious holiday (if they work that day) other than a day off for Christmas e.g. Easter etc. so why should Muslims not have to use their leave on religious holidays? If you want Eid off go to a country where that is part of their culture, don't demand it of a country where Muslims are a minority group,
Original post by Kadak
OP your not even Muslim.Stop being lazy and wanting a free holiday.

To be fair, it can effect non-Muslims too. For example, non-Muslims at schools with many Muslim teachers and students or businesses with a lot of Muslim staff. I remember turning up to class on Eid and there was only like 5 students, so the teacher just put on a video. Although schools can quite easily deal with that themselves and just make it a school holiday.
Original post by The Epicurean
To be fair, it can effect non-Muslims too. For example, non-Muslims at schools with many Muslim teachers and students or businesses with a lot of Muslim staff. I remember turning up to class on Eid and there was only like 5 students, so the teacher just put on a video. Although schools can quite easily deal with that themselves and just make it a school holiday.

Fair enoughTbh though,I never skipped a day of school for any muslim holiday.
Original post by High Stakes
Well hey, you don't have the authority to say "work or quit". Leave it to parliament and employers to choose to.

I can guarantee you businesses owned by religion people (any religion) will let their employees take a day off, with or without the holiday being nationalised.

My position on this matter is in majority so yes the government will do what the majority says.

Businesses will never actively go for this, in fact it would be another reason not to hire a Muslim person... so if that's what they want then go for it. 👍🏼
I signed the petition because I think it would help with the relationship between muslims and non-muslims in the UK, given the amount of intolerance towards muslims and the "#PostRefRacism" (yes, Islam isn't a race so thats why I put it in quotations). Eid is a really fun holiday and I've been to Eid events a couple of times (they're for non-muslims too).

We should focus more on celebrating life rather than seperating groups based on their religion; all seperation does is create more and more hatred in the community, which leads to either radicalisation (it's been shown in Daesh's videos that they use division in the community to recruite members) or people moving to other countries (lowering the economy).
My position on this matter is in majority so yes the government will do what the majority says.

Businesses will never actively go for this, in fact it would be another reason not to hire a Muslim person... so if that's what they want then go for it. 👍🏼

There's legislation in place to stop businesses from not employing people based on their religion (amongst other things like gender, sexuality and race), big companies care a lot about this, as I've seen from job applications I've filled in, as it'll reduce their reputation, meaning less people will want to work there.
Extra days of for frivolous purposes are what annual leave is for.
It's one day and it would reduce discrimination and non-Muslims would be able to enjoy it so everyone wins.
Original post by NickLCFC
Please sign the petition if you agree!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/150516

If this is debated and you win, I will create another petition asking for a re-run
Original post by Craig1998
I signed the petition because I think it would help with the relationship between muslims and non-muslims in the UK, given the amount of intolerance towards muslims and the "#PostRefRacism" (yes, Islam isn't a race so thats why I put it in quotations). Eid is a really fun holiday and I've been to Eid events a couple of times (they're for non-muslims too).

We should focus more on celebrating life rather than seperating groups based on their religion; all seperation does is create more and more hatred in the community, which leads to either radicalisation (it's been shown in Daesh's videos that they use division in the community to recruite members) or people moving to other countries (lowering the economy).

Great, but are you content to allow all other religions national holidays for their religious festivals?
Once we Brexit this won't be under discussion.
Bank holidays are a secular matter in a secular state. Even Christmas is a secular matter in the UK.
Original post by dozyrosie
Once we Brexit this won't be under discussion.

Why?
What the person above me said^ :smile:

It's a Christian country, so no, I won't be signing the petition. However, they have a day off if they want...

I am pretty sure that other religions have celebrations but they do not make petitions having days off.
Original post by NickLCFC
Why?

The more right wing elements will be in charge, the left will be floundering in the political wilderness, and that means sense and sensibility will return to British politics and none of this leftist ideology to appeal to the Eurocrats.
Original post by loveleest
What the person above me said^ :smile:

It's a Christian country, so no, I won't be signing the petition. However, they have a day off if they want...

I am pretty sure that other religions have celebrations but they do not make petitions having days off.

Your right, Sikhs and Hindus never seem to bother everyone else with their religion, they just happily get on with it, and celebrate.

Quick Reply

Latest