The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fg45344
Can you consciously make yourself think in any of your 3 languages? So like....hey, I'm going to think in Gujarati for a bit.

I can, but most of the time it just happens without thinking tbh

Original post by ZuluK
And the language of pyar with me :wink:

Should really be "And the language of nafrat" :teehee:

Spoiler

Yes.
I think in English but i think that is because 90% of the time i speak English rather than Polish.
Reply 43
Original post by nucdev

Should really be "And the language of nafrat" :teehee:

Spoiler

Nafrat? Why are you lying to yourself? :colonhash: You know you love me really!

Spoiler

Reply 44
Original post by fg45344
So here is my question....

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?

Personally, I think you can if you are fluent enough. I speak 3 languages and I have thoughts going around in all 3 of them, so yeah :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Blackstarr
I think in English but i think that is because 90% of the time i speak English rather than Polish.

What age did you learn both languages? Can you think in polish? If someone asked you what language do you think in, how would you answer?
Original post by Indeterminate
I speak more than two languages but I always think in English before translating it all into whichever language I want to use. :biggrin:

At least that's what I think happens in my brain :lol:

If you try and learn a language via another language (e.g. I try... haven't for a while.... to learn French through German, so I'm always translating back and forth between only those two languages) then you overcome that 'issue' - I know you didn't call it an issue, but I can't think of a term.
Reply 47
Original post by Inexorably
If you try and learn a language via another language (e.g. I try... haven't for a while.... to learn French through German, so I'm always translating back and forth between only those two languages) then you overcome that 'issue' - I know you didn't call it an issue, but I can't think of a term.

I did that during GCSE, to translate from Latin to English. I would go from Latin to Italian then translate it into English. I thought it was weird but I guess I'm not the only one. But it actually helps to improve your vocabs in these languages
Original post by fg45344
You wouldn't say, "Spanish and English" ?

Well yes, but people often want you to specify in which situations you think in a certain language.
Original post by fg45344
What age did you learn both languages? Can you think in polish? If someone asked you what language do you think in, how would you answer?

I started to learn English from about the age of 7-8 back in Poland but i prefer to speak In English and think in English rather than Polish because i am more fluent in English and my family speak English most of the time which has influenced me a lot.

Generally speaking though, it really all depends on the individual because some people may not be as fluent in whatever language so they can't necessarily think in that whatever language as opposed to English.

Edit: My polish is not fluent.
Reply 50
Original post by Blackstarr
I started to learn English from about the age of 7-8 back in Poland but i prefer to speak In English and think in English rather than Polish because i am more fluent in English and my family speak English most of the time which has influenced me a lot.

Generally speaking though, it really all depends on the individual because some people may not be as fluent in whatever language so they can't necessarily think in that whatever language as opposed to English.

Edit: My polish is not fluent.

But polish was your first language? So surely you can think in polish?
Since English is my native tongue I tend to usually speak English to myself.

However I speak fluent French and Spanish. I do find myself speaking French and Spanish to myself.

I've had a dream in French too :smile:
Original post by RK1998
I did that during GCSE, to translate from Latin to English. I would go from Latin to Italian then translate it into English. I thought it was weird but I guess I'm not the only one. But it actually helps to improve your vocabs in these languages

Yeah it is certainly weird, like if someone asked me to translate voiture from French, I'd have to go to German (Auto), then English and it's peculiar.

"Laddering" as it's called is meant to be good as it reduces the possibility of you confusing languages.
Yea I can.
Original post by The Roast
I've had a dream in French too :smile:

Dreaming in a foreign language is both incredibly bizarre and awesome. I've only had it happen twice but I was very surprised when I woke up :redface:
I'm bilingual but usually think in English.
Original post by Inexorably
Dreaming in a foreign language is both incredibly bizarre and awesome. I've only had it happen twice but I was very surprised when I woke up :redface:

It is strange, I agree.

Love being multilingual :wink:
Original post by fg45344
But polish was your first language? So surely you can think in polish?

Yes, sometimes, but when i am surrounded by people who only speak or intend to speak in English i just automatically respond and think in English.

I guess if my family started speaking Polish 90% of the time and my Polish was 100% fluent, my brain would most likely shift to thinking in Polish.
Reply 58
Original post by WBZ144
I'm bilingual but usually think in English.

Why is that? What is your other language? When did you learn both languages? Can you force yourself to think in either language?
Original post by fg45344
Why is that? What is your other language? When did you learn both languages? Can you force yourself to think in either language?

Arabic, and I began to learn it properly at the age of 7. I can also speak some French but am not fluent, so I don't think I could be considered as tri/multilingual. My family speaks English at home, though my siblings will add the occasional Arabic word to a conversation because they learned it as well. I could force myself to think in Arabic if I wanted to but it wouldn't happen subconsciously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending