The Student Room Group

Little issue with feelings

Hello,

I am needing some advice on what to do next - I go to a military cadet organisation and this new girl joined a couple months ago, at first I thought nothing of it but over time and when I've been talking to her she has been amazing and I think I've fallen for her and got a crush.

We started talking properly a couple of weeks ago (5-6) and that would include 2 means (fb and sc) but just a general conversation and nothing really to it, over time this began to stop till we didn't speak for a little while. I had a question to ask her so I did and the whole conversations developed again and we began to talk but it didn't feel like last time and my friend has noticed she is different around me in person and has taken on the way that I talk on messenger etc...

Over the last couple of days things have really developed and she asked if we could call as it's easier and so we did for roughly an hour and half which was fine, we then both went to bed as it was late and I had things to do in the morning, since calling the first time we have been getting on well and she's been organising all these things for when I go to college near her (she lives in the town that I want to go college to whereas I live 30 minutes away). Like what we can do on days where we both go to the same organisation, she asked if it can go out with her and implied meeting her parents, she also said about going out for a day to a local town / city and eating out then possibly go to the cinema for a film. We have also been calling a lot more since and she has been starting a variety of conversations when we wake up etc... Or it'll just continue from the previous day. Also something small but the amount of x's has been increasing, I accidentally put an extra one and she has been adding it since although it was an accident on my half.

Can someone please help, do I ask her out? I'd rather not ruin anything between us as there's a year and a bit age difference plus I don't want to make it awkward :/
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I am needing some advice on what to do next - I go to a military cadet organisation and this new girl joined a couple months ago, at first I thought nothing of it but over time and when I've been talking to her she has been amazing and I think I've fallen for her and got a crush.

We started talking properly a couple of weeks ago (5-6) and that would include 2 means (fb and sc) but just a general conversation and nothing really to it, over time this began to stop till we didn't speak for a little while. I had a question to ask her so I did and the whole conversations developed again and we began to talk but it didn't feel like last time and my friend has noticed she is different around me in person and has taken on the way that I talk on messenger etc...

Over the last couple of days things have really developed and she asked if we could call as it's easier and so we did for roughly an hour and half which was fine, we then both went to bed as it was late and I had things to do in the morning, since calling the first time we have been getting on well and she's been organising all these things for when I go to college near her (she lives in the town that I want to go college to whereas I live 30 minutes away). Like what we can do on days where we both go to the same organisation, she asked if it can go out with her and implied meeting her parents, she also said about going out for a day to a local town / city and eating out then possibly go to the cinema for a film. We have also been calling a lot more since and she has been starting a variety of conversations when we wake up etc... Or it'll just continue from the previous day. Also something small but the amount of x's has been increasing, I accidentally put an extra one and she has been adding it since although it was an accident on my half.

Can someone please help, do I ask her out? I'd rather not ruin anything between us as there's a year and a bit age difference plus I don't want to make it awkward :/

This can be hard, very hard for some people. It really depends to be honest. It sounds like she is interested in you and you are interested in her. There can never be a perfect time to ask such a question in my point of view. It all comes to when you feel it's right. A year and a bit is really no age difference. There nothing wrong with that. I would say four/five years difference is a age difference however a year and a bit is nothing. You have to understand that there will always be the option of things not working out as you wanted them. Remember to keep that in mind. However, don't let yourself stay with the idea that you had the opportunity to ask her out and you did not. That may hurt for longer then her wishing to be just friends. Is she ask asked you to go out and eat or watch a film, go for it. Enjoy yourself. You don't think you have to go right up to her and be like "Let's go out, girl!". If you for example you go to watch a film, then set a time to go and do something else together. Soon or later you will notice that you spend time with each other a lot and the idea and question about going out together can just pop out. Good luck! Keep us posted. Thank you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Sgt.Golden
This can be hard, very hard for some people. It really depends to be honest. It sounds like she is interested in you and you are interested in her. There can never be a perfect time to ask such a question in my point of view. It all comes to when you feel it's right. A year and a bit is really no age difference. There nothing wrong with that. I would say four/five years difference is a age difference however a year and a bit is nothing. You have to understand that there will always be the option of things not working out as you wanted them. Remember to keep that in mind. However, don't let yourself stay with the idea that you had the opportunity to ask her out and you did not. That may hurt for longer then her wishing to be just friends. Is she ask asked you to go out and eat or watch a film, go for it. Enjoy yourself. You don't think you have to go right up to her and be like "Let's go out, girl!". If you for example you go to watch a film, then set a time to go and do something else together. Soon or later you will notice that you spend time with each other a lot and the idea and question about going out together can just pop out. Good luck! Keep us posted. Thank you :smile:

Thank you very much for the response. We plan to go out for the day at the end of the month as that's the most convenient time for her and certain things which have happened recently. As you said, it is hard and I'm not entirely sure if she is interested in me or just wants to be good friends - Although we now call everyday and talk whenever we can. Literally my friends who know Isomewhat like her have been saying I should ask her out but I am lost on what to do.
Let me see...

- Progressively contact increasing frequency, duration, and conversational topics.
- Pro-activeness on her part to spend time with you on a 1-to-1 basis.
- Increase in young adult communication tool to indicate interest (x's).

My friend, ask her out! :smile:

Honestly, from what you've said it sounds good. Just be yourself, be confident, and spend more time with her. If things progress smoothly, escalate. Flirt. Touch (appropriately :colonhash:). It sounds like you're doing well here...

Also, the year gap is of no concern. You're fine! :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you. We are going to be spending more time with each other, she has already suggested over the past couple days that we do more together and has asked if I can do one thing with her and another implying that her family will be there. Regarding the way that young adults communicate with x's is patchy and sometimes are involved while othertimes aren't involved in conversations, which I'm not too sure on.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you. We are going to be spending more time with each other, she has already suggested over the past couple days that we do more together and has asked if I can do one thing with her and another implying that her family will be there. Regarding the way that young adults communicate with x's is patchy and sometimes are involved while othertimes aren't involved in conversations, which I'm not too sure on.

I wouldn't be too reliant on the x's, but it's a common way for young girls to indicate interest. If she's doing them every time/increasing, then usually it's a sign.
Reply 6
I won't be too reliant on the x's seeming they arent always used. Thank you for the replies - Now to figure how to ask her, I've not really been interested in having a 'relationship' before due to exams and a career aim of being an officer in the military.
Reply 7
Would anyone be able to point me in the direction for asking her out? When I get around to it. I've not really done it before as I've never been interested in a relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending