The Student Room Group

No sense of achievement from getting 1st

As per title, integrated masters from a RG uni in STEM subject. Does anyone else feel like this? I have no idea why, but it just feels like I haven't really done anything to deserve it...*
Well, unless you cheated in your exams, you definitely deserved you first class degree. Maybe it's an anti-climax after being submerged in studying all year?
Original post by fishgolf
As per title, integrated masters from a RG uni in STEM subject. Does anyone else feel like this? I have no idea why, but it just feels like I haven't really done anything to deserve it...*

Could just be a case of you've always done well and it just seems like another set of exams which have gone the way you wanted?
:iiam:

You said that you feel like you've done nothing to deserve it, but I highly doubt that this is the case. A 1st in an an integrated masters in a STEM subject from an RG... that is quite something, and not something that is pulled off by lying in bed all day and skipping lectures and all of that stuff.

Maybe something else is going on - maybe you feel like you could have achieved more at uni (not saying that people who do well aren't allowed to/ didnt have social lives) or that you're feeling a bit lost/empty after graduation or you know, some other reason.
Reply 4
As the other guy said, if you didn't cheat in your exams or coursework then you should be happy.

Or it could be just that you were so confident that you would get the first that you expecting it to happen.

Maybe the excitement will sink in after a period of time and you'll realise it eventually
Reply 5
All possible options.. to confirm I didn't cheat in any way.

I think its probably mainly the anticlimax and the fact that it was expected. I think I'd be much more excited if I was borderline 2.1/1st and then got a 1st. Don't think its about not achieving enough at uni, I've got a good circle of friends and have been very active in societies etc.
Hey Fishgolf, congratulations! I studied Engineering myself, so I have a lot of respect for your achievement. I felt a bit similar when I finished my degree off - looking back I think it was partially because I achieve what I expected, partially because going to Uni for lectures/labs/workshops/racing team took so much of my time and it suddenly wasn't there anymore, and partially because I wasn't quite sure what I would be doing next. It is a big period of upheaval...

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Original post by fishgolf
All possible options.. to confirm I didn't cheat in any way.

I think its probably mainly the anticlimax and the fact that it was expected. I think I'd be much more excited if I was borderline 2.1/1st and then got a 1st. Don't think its about not achieving enough at uni, I've got a good circle of friends and have been very active in societies etc.

I had a similar experience it wasn't a big surprise when results came through, especially as my languages degree was very coursework heavy and I had already worked out my averages before my final exams. However two of my best mates who were borderline were awarded firsts and I was totally over the moon for them. Bit like weddings, I'd always rather be a bridesmaid and make a fuss over other people than have a big hoo-ha myself!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending