The Student Room Group

Russell Group

If in the rankings a non Russell uni is above a Russell one, should I still choose the Russell one just because it's Russell or should it not really matter.
Reply 1
Original post by Legendstatusxoxo
If in the rankings a non Russell uni is above a Russell one, should I still choose the Russell one just because it's Russell or should it not really matter.

What do you want to study and which universities? I'd go for whichever is better for your course and the one you think you'd prefer more overall, rankings aren't everything
Original post by Lucytal
What do you want to study and which universities? I'd go for whichever is better for your course and the one you think you'd prefer more overall, rankings aren't everything

Well I want to do law and I went to a few Russell group open days but none of them really appealed to me, so now I'm not sure what to do because I've heard it's not really worth goin to uni if it isn't a Russell group
Well I want to do law and I went to a few Russell group open days but none of them really appealed to me, so now I'm not sure what to do because I've heard it's not really worth goin to uni if it isn't a Russell group

Depends on the university not rankings or russel group. Some absolutely mediocre universities are in the RG (QM, Newcastle etc.) and wont really be heavily targeted by magic circle firms. While some rankings are absolutely ridiculous (Surrey>Imperial? lolok) so will be misleading at best.

It would be better to ask which university is better to go to rather than a blanket question regarding RG/Non-RG.

If you don't want to disclose the unis you've applied for look at the recent destinations of graduates in the universities in question, if theres no clear winner go by preference. But never go by anything as stupid as russel group and/or newspaper rankings.
(edited 7 years ago)
People bang on about Russell group universities and to be honest I didn't even know what they were. Just try and get into a good uni that you think you'll like and do well at. If it happens to be in the Russell group so be it, if it happens to not be in the Russel group, so be it.
Original post by Anonymous
People bang on about Russell group universities and to be honest I didn't even know what they were. Just try and get into a good uni that you think you'll like and do well at. If it happens to be in the Russell group so be it, if it happens to not be in the Russel group, so be it.

Fair enough, I guess I'll just wait until I get my result so I can get a better picture as to what uni I can realistically get into
Original post by Oilfreak1
Depends on the university not rankings or russel group. Some absolutely mediocre universities are in the RG (QM, Newcastle etc.) and wont really be heavily targeted by magic circle firms. While some rankings are absolutely ridiculous (Surrey>Imperial? lolok) so will be misleading at best.

It would be better to ask which university is better to go to rather than a blanket question regarding RG/Non-RG.

If you don't want to disclose the unis you've applied for look at the recent destinations of graduates in the universities in question, if theres no clear winner go by preference. But never go by anything as stupid as russel group and/or newspaper rankings.

I haven't applied for anything as I'm still in y12 but I was just looking ahead and seeing what unis I would potentially go to innit
I haven't applied for anything as I'm still in y12 but I was just looking ahead and seeing what unis I would potentially go to innit

If you wanna work in london its
Oxbridge>Durham,UCL,Kings,LSE, Notts etc.>>> Manch, Edingburgh exeter etc.

Really rough rule of thumb kinda thing but kinda shows where to aim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending