The Student Room Group

Accounting and finance at LSE vs Economics at UCL

Hey,
I'm currently torn between applying for accounting and finance at LSE or economics at UCL
I know economics is better but isn't LSE more prestigious?
Also I would like to go into investment banking, so which degree do you think will make it easier for me to get a job
Reply 1
Original post by Hanaan999
Hey, I'm currently torn between applying for accounting and finance at LSE or economics at UCL I know economics is better but isn't LSE more prestigious? Also I would like to go into investment banking, so which degree do you think will make it easier for me to get a job

They are both equally good for investment banking. But the degrees are both so different- which subject are you more interested in and passionate about? Choose that degree because for banking, both degrees are seen as being equally prestigious.

I'll be applying for maths and economics at LSE this year but all these degrees are seen equally by investment banking employers- it is the university which matters and LSE, UCL, Imperial,Warwick and Oxbridge are all equally considered by banks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm very passionate about maths, however would I be more likely to get a job if I was to go to lse compared to ucl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Are they I thought Oxbridge and lse were highly sought after, then it was Warwick/ucl etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Are they I thought Oxbridge and lse were highly sought after, then it was Warwick/ucl etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, that's not true. Maybe Oxbridge might have a slight advantage but UCL, LSE, Imperial, Warwick are all seen equally.
Reply 5
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what a levels are you doing and what extracurricular activities have you got when you apply next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what a levels are you doing and what extracurricular activities have you got when you apply next year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics but I'll probably drop physics. For extracurriculars:
-Volunteer at Oxfam (have done it for two years now)
-Play badminton for a club
-I do student mentoring at school
-Maths tutoring for Year 7 students
-In the prefect team at my school
-I was in my schools IFS Student Investor team
-Project manager of my National Citizen Service team. (Pitched a campaign idea and a community event and secured funding.)
-Will be entering the Marshall Society Essay competition and the IEA Dorian Fisher Memorial Prize competition
- Extended project in econometrics
-Currently doing a project in development economics
-I'll hopefully be in the Target 2.0 school Team next year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Oh wow I don't have that much on my ps so I was just hoping to get some ideas, but you've got a lot
Thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Oh wow I don't have that much on my ps so I was just hoping to get some ideas, but you've got a lot
Thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only going to write the economics related stuff and some maths related extracurriculars on my PS. I'm not going to put stuff like the IFS student Investor team or badminton- the PS should be relevant to the course you're applying for. If you've entered any competitions like essay competitions (you can still enter the Marshall society essay competition) or UKMT maths challenges then put that on your PS.

When you do go to uni, definitely join the finance societies and maybe a sport because apparently banks want you to take up lots of extracurricular activities when at university
Reply 9
I got a gold in the UKMT intermediate maths challenge. Should I write that, I didn't do senior challenge because that was only for further maths students

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a gold in the UKMT intermediate maths challenge. Should I write that, I didn't do senior challenge because that was only for further maths students

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you can. Maybe ask your maths teacher if you can do the senior challenge this year. They will pr badly let you do it in Year 13.
Reply 11
Original post by Trapz99
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics but I'll probably drop physics. For extracurriculars:

Hey ill be doing the same combo next year. will dropping physics put you at a disadvantage?
Original post by datboii
Hey ill be doing the same combo next year. will dropping physics put you at a disadvantage?

No. Universities, even Oxbridge, only ask for three a levels. There is no advantage in doing four except on your CV.

Quick Reply