The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zayn is Bae
Yeah but that scenario is leading to you earning more money in Scenario A? Would've made more sense of Job B was what you wanted to do (e.g. Restriction of money). If Job B was £48k in Job B you might get some different answers!

The main point is that the vast majority of people don't enjoy what they do (no matter how much a financial advisor tells me he loves his job, I refuse to believe him) so you may as well earn good money doing something. Obviously don't do something that makes you miserable, but if the scenario was:

A- what you love, £40k salary
B- not what you love but don't mind too much, £70k salary

Which one you gonna choose?

See above bae xx
Posted from TSR Mobile

The way I see it, I want to wake up every morning and look forward to going to work.
I agree that a good wage is important but I can think of no life worse than one where you struggle to get up every day and go to work.

I'd take £25k over £40k if the former was a job I loved and the latter was a job I hated.
£120k in 10 years pretty comfortably. Don't need your measly £25k baker salary hehe

So you're saying you'll be earning £120k in your early 30s?

Mate...
Obviously don't do something that makes you miserable, but if the scenario was:

A- what you love, £40k salary
B- not what you love but don't mind too much, £70k salary

Which one you gonna choose?
Posted from TSR Mobile

In that situation it's obvious, but imagine if the £70k job was something you hated doing and it was having an effect on your personal life. That £40k job would suddenly look very appealling.

There's a bloke in my department who used to work for Deloitte, but he absolutely hated it and he's now working in a fairly entry level position. Our job isn't even close to what he was doing there. Idk what the salaries are at Deloitte, but they'll be a fair bit more than what we're earning.
I think it's fair to say that no job in the world is gonna make me happy to be up before 6am
Original post by SentryE3D
Don't need money to travel when you get paid to travel

I've always wanted a nice relaxing holiday in Afghanistan
Original post by SentryE3D
Don't need money to travel when you get paid to travel

Who do you work for? Myself and blogs don't count.
Original post by atom y humber
Who do you work for? Myself and blogs don't count.

William Hill

Original post by difeo

It's beautiful in the summer
Reply 6407
Original post by difeo

:rofl:
Original post by difeo

You're a bad person... :biggrin:
Original post by sr90
In that situation it's obvious, but imagine if the £70k job was something you hated doing and it was having an effect on your personal life. That £40k job would suddenly look very appealling.

There's a bloke in my department who used to work for Deloitte, but he absolutely hated it and he's now working in a fairly entry level position. Our job isn't even close to what he was doing there. Idk what the salaries are at Deloitte, but they'll be a fair bit more than what we're earning.

Yeah of course then it's a no brainer, happiness over the money. I just meant that there's not really any jobs out there for me personally, and for the vast majority of those out there I imagine, that has them salivating at the mouth short of a Premier League footballer. And as I said I do believe money to an extent is related to happiness.

My brother works for Deloitte and I can understand why he quit! Money is incredible but they're absolute slave-drivers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
The way I see it, I want to wake up every morning and look forward to going to work.
I agree that a good wage is important but I can think of no life worse than one where you struggle to get up every day and go to work.

I'd take £25k over £40k if the former was a job I loved and the latter was a job I hated.

Yeah but there's not many jobs most people "love", unless they're a centre forward for Real Madrid. I guess I'm speaking personally, but I enjoy pretty much no work and I'm happy to be a mercenary in the employment world.

Btw, 10 years post-qual dentists working in a private branch will easily earn over £100,000, especially in London.
Happiness over money. You repulse me!
Money is the #1 factor tbh
Yeah but there's not many jobs most people "love", unless they're a centre forward for Real Madrid. I guess I'm speaking personally, but I enjoy pretty much no work and I'm happy to be a mercenary in the employment world.

Btw, 10 years post-qual dentists working in a private branch will easily earn over £100,000, especially in London.

You won't be 10 years post-qual in 10 years though will you pal, you've still got another 8 years of uni
Original post by difeo
You won't be 10 years post-qual in 10 years though will you pal, you've still got another 8 years of uni

I'll be 7 years post qual at 30 and he said early 30's (aka 32-33) which is what I was factoring it on

In 10 years you'll still be displaying nonce behaviours around high schools anyway

Pro clubs @ 4?
You'll probably eventually hate your job, whatever it is. Just have to make the best of it.
I'll be 7 years post qual at 30 and he said early 30's (aka 32-33) which is what I was factoring it on

In 10 years you'll still be displaying nonce behaviours around high schools anyway

Pro clubs @ 4?

o rly: "£120k in 10 years pretty comfortably"

not sheriff srs. Will probs be awake though so can do lel
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Money is the #1 factor tbh

It is until you've actually worked a job..

Loads of things will come into it:

- money (obviously)
- progression (everyone wants to feel like they are advancing)
- longer term views of potential salary (i'd take a lower paid job now if it meant way more later)
- location (working in London is much better than an oil rig in the north sea)
- other opportunities it opens up (can you move into a better job)
- hours (e.g unsocial hours or just long hours)
- enjoyment/happiness (hard to do a job you hate long term)
- reputation (sometimes the reputation of where you work comes into it)
- other life priorities (e.g. starting a family or where your other half works)

Probably missed a few others too.

I could probably earn 20-50% more in salary but there were a number of reasons why I chose not to do that.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You'll probably eventually hate your job, whatever it is. Just have to make the best of it.

I agree. Did you have a career in mind or did you just go with the flow?

For anyone that cares, I passed 2nd year today. Well, yesterday.

Original post by difeo
o rly: "£120k in 10 years pretty comfortably"

not sheriff srs. Will probs be awake though so can do lel

Was just fishing for a reaction tbh

Of course I wasn't serious, what the **** is wrong with you
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree. Did you have a career in mind or did you just go with the flow?

For anyone that cares, I passed 2nd year today. Well, yesterday.

Was just fishing for a reaction tbh

Of course I wasn't serious, what the **** is wrong with you

imagine going to bed before 5am

Latest