The Student Room Group

Making Friends at college

Right, I'm really bad at starting conversation and when I'm in one I don't look at them directly and I say really bad things and I can't make small talk:frown:

I also have a college taster session today so please how do I make friendsssss:frown:
Original post by mellowyellowind
Right, I'm really bad at starting conversation and when I'm in one I don't look at them directly and I say really bad things and I can't make small talk:frown:

I also have a college taster session today so please how do I make friendsssss:frown:

Think about phrases such as

"Hey,you good"
"What hobbies do you do outside of school"
"Nice meeting you"
Start of College you cant go wrong with asking what subjects the other person is going to do.
Also give out your number/snapchat, and remember to be lively and put in effort.

Start trying now and yiu will be a pro in uni
Also you said you dont look at them directly, you should practice at home in the mirror make sure you are doing eye contact with yourself xD

Try talking to random strangers over the holidays when you're doing your shopping. Approaching and asking a decent looking person what healthy breakfast cereal they recommend at your Asda, or conversely complementing them on their choice of cereal. Get a job giving out flyers on the streets. This should help you get over your social anxiety.

Practice looking directly at people in the eyes by starting with family members, moving on to existing friends, neighbours and extended family. Watch soaps or something and observe normal social behaviour and try to implement it, focusing on your body language and what you say

When meeting new classmates, ask them how they did in their gcses, what other subjects they take, interests and try to swap numbers. Ask them about any goals they have. People love talking about themselves. And talk about yourself too!

You don't really remember anyone at taster sessions. Real social interactions happen once you start college. Just remember to be enthusiastic, keen, have your wits around and laugh when things get awkward or poke fun at yourself. Don't take it too seriously. Eventually, you'll find a friend and another until you'll have a group where you can send funny memes to on WhatsApp. You have nothing to worry about if you put yourself out there
(edited 7 years ago)

Don't be unnatural! Just be yourself, I'm sure there's things you're interested in? Subject, sports, hobbies etc which you could talk about forever? Start off with introducing yourself and ask how's their day been so far and Just make convo about anything and everything and divert the convo to something you're interested in..... Like

EURO 2016 :smile: :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest